Miter Sleds Double-Dubby

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Ed Reible says go and have a look at this:
http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showpos ... ostcount=9

I don't know enough about the dubby to say how that would work if that is the question.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
shydragon
Gold Member

Post by shydragon »

Pat

Oregon

1992 SS 510, 11" Bandsaw on power station, 4" jointer, Pro Planer, Incra Miter 2000, Incra Ultimate Fence Router Pkg, Grizzly 6" Parallelogram Jointer.
sswoodworker48
Gold Member

Post by sswoodworker48 »

I watched the demo today at the Northern Virginia Wooworkers show and talked with Jerry. He told me that they are not making the Dubby for SS or other smaller saws with smaller tables. No discrimination against the SS, just seems to be more troublesome on a smaller saw table.
Rick
---------------------------
Shopsmith owner since 1982
510, 520, belt sander, strip sander, jointer, scroll saw, band saw, dust collector, OPR, Flatmaster sander.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

sswoodworker48 wrote:I watched the demo today at the Northern Virginia Wooworkers show and talked with Jerry. He told me that they are not making the Dubby for SS or other smaller saws with smaller tables. No discrimination against the SS, just seems to be more troublesome on a smaller saw table.

This seems strange.

http://www.in-lineindustries.com/double_dubby.html

What is an SS20D seen at the bottom of the ad in the above link.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Hi Rick,
It looks like either Jerry is knot educated as to what is available from the company he represents, or their web site needs updated. :rolleyes:
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

dusty wrote:This seems strange.

http://www.in-lineindustries.com/double_dubby.html

What is an SS20D seen at the bottom of the ad in the above link.

I can see that a double dubby might be a bit too large for use on a typical Shopsmith table but with floating/extension tables the Mark V table top is not all that small.

How large is a typical table saw found in a hobby shop (non-professional shop)?

I was looking for dimensions but didn't find them.

PS I found a drawing in their online manual. The diagram showed a piece of wood, estimated to be 20"x20" in the text, laing on a Dubby sled. I conclude that the Dubby is about 30"x24". Not unreasonable for use on a Shopsmith Table.

I have a feeling that sales were not enough to justify the specialized product offering and it has simply been dropped; the web page being the last update to be made. So much for supposition.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

Rick I too visited the Chantilly Woodworking show today. I wonder how many times we walked past each other? I had no interest in the Dubby so didn't slow down to look at it. I did manage to pick up a few hints and some minor tools I wanted. It was well worth the drive up and back.

We left there mid day as my crabby knee was too tired to keep walking. I guess we need to wear a shopsmith hat at these events. fjimp
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

a1gutterman wrote:Hi Rick,
It looks like either Jerry is knot educated as to what is available from the company he represents, or their web site needs updated. :rolleyes:

These guys are going to be at a woodworking show Apr 27-29 being presented at the Seattle/Tacoma Puyallup Fairgrounds. Maybe you can drop in on them and do some investigative reporting, Tim.

No, there is no commission involved and I am not contemplating buying one. Just incredibly curious.

Ed in Tampa may beat you to it though. I see they were just at a show in Tampa (March 23-25).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
sswoodworker48
Gold Member

Post by sswoodworker48 »

Dusty: I don't make up the news, I just report it.

Tim: Jerry doesn't just represent the company, he is the demonstrator, inventor and owner. It could be they still have some in stock and therefore have not changed the website until its gone. Could be that the Webmaster isn't up to date on his to do list. All I posted is what he said, that he wasn't sure if they had any left.

Jim: You're right! Who knows, could have been standing next to each other at one of the booths. :)
Rick
---------------------------
Shopsmith owner since 1982
510, 520, belt sander, strip sander, jointer, scroll saw, band saw, dust collector, OPR, Flatmaster sander.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

sswoodworker48 wrote:...Tim: Jerry doesn't just represent the company, he is the demonstrator, inventor and owner. It could be they still have some in stock and therefore have not changed the website until its gone. Could be that the Webmaster isn't up to date on his to do list. All I posted is what he said, that he wasn't sure if they had any left...
Hi Rick,
Thank you for reporting what you found out. In your earlier report, You just said "...He told me that they are not making the Dubby for SS or other smaller saws with smaller tables...". You did knot mention that this "Jerry" was the owner, nor that "...he said, that he wasn't sure if they had any left." I am sorry for the misunderstanding, but...I did suggest two choices, an either/or situation, and it turns out that one of them is right. :)

Dusty, I just looked at my calendar, and unfortunately, I am involved each of those days; work during the day, and in the evening, 1) Little League baseball game on Monday, 2) Cub Scout Pack meeting on Tuesday, and 3) team batting practice on Wednesday. I will knot be able to see the demo. :(
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.