Restoration Progress On My 1955 Greenie

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

This is a piece of work that would make any one of us proud. You have done a truly professional job with this restoration.

You have also done an excellent job of posting your progress. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Nick contacts you to send HIS congratulations.

I don't know if you viewed the Sawdust Sessions on restoration or not but either way your headstock is an excellent closure to that educational series. I doubt if any of us could add any constructive criticism to what you have accomplished.

CONGRATULATIONS on a job well done.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote:It is in my YTBP pile....(yet to be polished)
Good Luck getting the sides of the grooves polished.:D :D :D :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

a1gutterman wrote:That looks real purdy, Mike! Do knot forget to order a new "Caution" sticker! :rolleyes:
Agree. It looks a little naked without it.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

dusty wrote:This is a piece of work that would make any one of us proud. You have done a truly professional job with this restoration.

You have also done an excellent job of posting your progress. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Nick contacts you to send HIS congratulations.

I don't know if you viewed the Sawdust Sessions on restoration or not but either way your headstock is an excellent closure to that educational series. I doubt if any of us could add any constructive criticism to what you have accomplished.

CONGRATULATIONS on a job well done.
Dusty - Thanks. The Sawdust Sessions are what made this process manageable. I've watched each of the restoration / assembly / disassembly sessions several times. I actually have my laptop out in the shop and would work as I watch each step. I'd pause the video, perform the steps, and hit play again. It gave me a comfort level that the work was being done correctly. Because of Nick's efforts, I felt like I had a personal tutor. I sure wish we would have been able to continue his series.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
tom_k/mo
Platinum Member

Post by tom_k/mo »

Mike, that is a first class job. You should be rightfully proud of that.
ShopSmith MarkV-520 with Belt Sander, Jointer, Band Saw, Strip Sander, Scroll Saw and Biscuit Jointer SPTs and a DC-3300...
Woodworking Hobbyist (Check out all my Woodworking Plans (http://vbwhiz.isa-geek.net/plans)
Aspiring Sandcarver: Breaking glass one grain at a time.
Black Powder Shooter (love the smell of burning sulfur).
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote:Dusty - Thanks. The Sawdust Sessions are what made this process manageable. I've watched each of the restoration / assembly / disassembly sessions several times. I actually have my laptop out in the shop and would work as I watch each step. I'd pause the video, perform the steps, and hit play again. It gave me a comfort level that the work was being done correctly. Because of Nick's efforts, I felt like I had a personal tutor. I sure wish we would have been able to continue his series.
AND in the process you have yourself created an invaluable aid for others who may wish to follow you down that same road!!!!! I thank You for Them.:)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mickyd
Platinum Member

Caution Label on 1955 Greenie

Post by mickyd »

a1gutterman wrote:That looks real purdy, Mike! Do knot forget to order a new "Caution" sticker! :rolleyes:
There are two labels shown on the headstock exploded view, ref 68 "Speed Chart" and 99 "Warning". Were these on the 1955 Greenie's? The only label that was on my Greenie when I got it was this one and I think that it is different than both the #68 and #99.

[ATTACH]3747[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Img_4848mod1.jpg
Img_4848mod1.jpg (46.13 KiB) Viewed 4225 times
Mike
Sunny San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote:There are two labels shown on the headstock exploded view, ref 68 "Speed Chart" and 99 "Warning". Were these on the 1955 Greenie's? The only label that was on my Greenie when I got it was this one and I think that it is different than both the #68 and #99.

[ATTACH]3747[/ATTACH]
Different indeed! The 'caution' label was also on goldies. It warns not to adjust speed dial if NOT running.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

JPG40504 wrote:Different indeed! The 'caution' label was also on goldies. It warns not to adjust speed dial if NOT running.
Any clue what the SS part number is for the "Caution" label? I can't find it. Or, is it a call to SS?
Mike
Sunny San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote:Any clue what the SS part number is for the "Caution" label? I can't find it. Or, is it a call to SS?
Probably 'no longer available'.:( If they are, tell me//us how to order one.:)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝