Restoration Progress On My 1955 Greenie

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

mickyd wrote: OK, so here's the next step. Wife had some clear adhesive Avery laser stock labels, 2x4-1/4". I'll steal a few sheets and will print some labels out tomorrow. If you want one, send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll mail one (or more) out to you. Once Goldie on is available for JPG, that will be included to. Make sure to tell me Goldie or Greenie.
WE HAVE LABELS!!!! :D Thanks again all. Printed a sheet full (20) on a color laser printer using clear Avery label stock #5663. Although Avery advertises these labels as "clear", they are actually a tad frosted. I'll post photo tonight with sticker on my headstock. I'll do a sheet full of the Goldie label that Tom created also.

Remember, if you want one, PM your address to me.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
tom_k/mo
Platinum Member

Post by tom_k/mo »

mickyd wrote:WE HAVE LABELS!!!! :D Thanks again all. Printed a sheet full (20) on a color laser printer using clear Avery label stock #5663. Although Avery advertises these labels as "clear", they are actually a tad frosted. I'll post photo tonight with sticker on my headstock. I'll do a sheet full of the Goldie label that Tom created also.

Remember, if you want one, PM your address to me.
Mike, if I might suggest something... Laser toner may/can eventually flake or rub off the labels if unprotected. When I make labels like this, I have a roll of Scotch 2" wide clear packing tape that I will cover the printed label with, basically laminating it, and protecting the print. Makes it a lot more durable.

ShopSmith MarkV-520 with Belt Sander, Jointer, Band Saw, Strip Sander, Scroll Saw and Biscuit Jointer SPTs and a DC-3300...
Woodworking Hobbyist (Check out all my Woodworking Plans (http://vbwhiz.isa-geek.net/plans)
Aspiring Sandcarver: Breaking glass one grain at a time.
Black Powder Shooter (love the smell of burning sulfur).
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

tom_k/mo wrote:Mike, if I might suggest something... Laser toner may/can eventually flake or rub off the labels if unprotected. When I make labels like this, I have a roll of Scotch 2" wide clear packing tape that I will cover the printed label with, basically laminating it, and protecting the print. Makes it a lot more durable.
Got it. Will do. Take notice all.

Are you aware of a truely CLEAR adhesive label stock that can be run through an inkjet or laser printer?
Mike
Sunny San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dickg1 wrote:FWIW: The Goldie I bought new in 1964 does not have (nor has it ever had) the "Caution Label". Was it supposed to be applied by the owner? Too long ago for me to remember.
Dick
Yours must have been the one they used to illustrate the user manual!:D

Mine had factory applied label.:)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mickyd
Platinum Member

Clear Laquer the bench tubes???

Post by mickyd »

The maintenance section of the owners manual for the Greenie says the bench tubes were corrosion proofed with a clear lacquer. Mine obviously wore off.

Any opinions / facts as to doing this? I know that the clear lacquer that I sprayed inside of all my headstock parts came out real nice and to me, it would make sense to do the bench tubes also to eliminate having to wax them (not that it's a big deal). What say you??
Mike
Sunny San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote:The maintenance section of the owners manual for the Greenie says the bench tubes were corrosion proofed with a clear lacquer. Mine obviously wore off.

Any opinions / facts as to doing this? I know that the clear lacquer that I sprayed inside of all my headstock parts came out real nice and to me, it would make sense to do the bench tubes also to eliminate having to wax them (not that it's a big deal). What say you??
Seeing as how you have been a stickler for historical accuracy(except the polishing) I would think you would want to apply a finish as close to the original as you can get!:cool:

P.S. I would still wax them(after lacquer has plenty of time to dry/cure).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
johnmccrossen
Gold Member

Post by johnmccrossen »

Here is a picture of the labels on my Mark V (1962 model as far as I can tell).
[ATTACH]3776[/ATTACH]

With all of the discussions about original factory caution labels, now I am wondering when and how many machines had the metal riveted caution plate to the right of the toggle switch. Note: The two grey stick on labels on the belt guard were added just because that is what I got when I ordered labels not knowing what I was getting.

Also, does anyone know what the symbol "SA or CSA" to the right of the word "Mark V" is referring to?? Thanks, John McCrossen
Attachments
000_0273.jpg
000_0273.jpg (172.74 KiB) Viewed 4627 times
John McCrossen
Everett, Wa.
1954 Mk 5 SN 269454, 1955 Mk 5 SN 316013, 1960 Mk 5 SN 360792, 1962 Mk 5 SN 380102, Magna band saw, (2) jointers, (1) belt sander, (1) air compressor, (1) jig saw, (1) strip sander, (1) 20" scroll saw, DC 3300 dust collector, Sawsmith RAS, Craftsman table saw, 13" DeWalt planer, Triton 3 1/4 HP plunge router & table
judaspre1982
Platinum Member

Re: Csa

Post by judaspre1982 »

=======================
Last edited by judaspre1982 on Sat May 20, 2017 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnmccrossen
Gold Member

Post by johnmccrossen »

Judasprey1982; Yes, the paint on this one is original and in pretty good shape. Only a few minor scratches and dings. It is still too nice to repaint. John
John McCrossen
Everett, Wa.
1954 Mk 5 SN 269454, 1955 Mk 5 SN 316013, 1960 Mk 5 SN 360792, 1962 Mk 5 SN 380102, Magna band saw, (2) jointers, (1) belt sander, (1) air compressor, (1) jig saw, (1) strip sander, (1) 20" scroll saw, DC 3300 dust collector, Sawsmith RAS, Craftsman table saw, 13" DeWalt planer, Triton 3 1/4 HP plunge router & table
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

johnmccrossen wrote:Here is a picture of the labels on my Mark V (1962 model as far as I can tell).
[ATTACH]3776[/ATTACH]

With all of the discussions about original factory caution labels, now I am wondering when and how many machines had the metal riveted caution plate to the right of the toggle switch. Note: The two grey stick on labels on the belt guard were added just because that is what I got when I ordered labels not knowing what I was getting.

Also, does anyone know what the symbol "SA or CSA" to the right of the word "Mark V" is referring to?? Thanks, John McCrossen
Looks like mine(except the paint is in MUCH better condition than mine). The CSA is the canadian equivalent to UL.

DUSTY: Didja notice it says "MARK 5"?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝