Restoration Progress On My 1955 Greenie

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

Spent the entire night Friday getting all my parts ready for painting. I needed to work through the night so that I could paint outside as soon as it was light enough to see. Painting inside is just too messy. Overspray everywhere. Early AM is the only time here in San Diego where they is no breeze. Being so close to the ocean, breeze starts to kick up real early and continues throughout the day.

Took me forever to get the bench legs stripped completely and ready for primer. They had a fairly deep corrosion on them that was very evident after stripping all the paint off. I didn't want to prime over it so I just sanded, and sanded, and sanded.....finally got them cleaned up pretty well.

[ATTACH]3838[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3839[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3840[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3841[/ATTACH]

Doing this again and I would probably spend the $$$ and have everything grit blasted instead of stripping and sanding. It was a lot of boring, monotonous work. Even though I used a 5" round random orbital and a 1/4 sheet finishing sander, the inside leg surfaces don't lend themselves very well to their use. They are curved the wrong way for a flat sander and, the side surfaces were too narrow. This meant a ton of hand sanding. My hands are trashed. Didn't think of putting gloves on until 3/4 done. :(

Anyway, dawn came as you can see by this pic so I got outside and managed to get all priming (SEM Products, Inc. gray self etching primer) and the first coat of painting done (Rustoleom Verde Green). I would have done the second coat but ran low on paint. Used a total of 2 cans finish paint, 1 can primer.

[ATTACH]3842[/ATTACH]

The paint came out FAIR. Texure variation shows up in several places that hopefully will be hidden by the second coat. I found that if the texture was visibly different in an area, you can go spray over it quickly after a couple minutes and it makes it more uniform so don't be concerned if it happens.

For those following the thread, wait until you see the broken carriage repair job with paint on it. You'd never know it was repaired.

Gotta run.
Attachments
Img_4917mod.jpg
Img_4917mod.jpg (40.29 KiB) Viewed 4816 times
Img_5295mod.jpg
Img_5295mod.jpg (36.68 KiB) Viewed 4818 times
Img_4918mod1.jpg
Img_4918mod1.jpg (47.28 KiB) Viewed 4815 times
Img_5296mod.jpg
Img_5296mod.jpg (44.19 KiB) Viewed 4815 times
Img_5301mod.jpg
Img_5301mod.jpg (46.29 KiB) Viewed 4816 times
Mike
Sunny San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Looking Good! Now that I have your attention, How DID you get the 'after' pix to locate on the right side of the 'page'? :confused: Gonna try something next. The pix are randomly chosen and mean nothing.

[ATTACH]3843[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3844[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3845[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3844[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3844[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3844[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3844[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3844[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3844[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3844[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3844[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3844[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3844[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3844[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3844[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3844[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3844[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]3844[/ATTACH]
Well that was instructive!

P.S. Also instructive was changing the forum window width. The window width determines 'usable pix space, and the overflow is bumped down a 'line' automatically.
Attachments
goldie tubes.jpg
goldie tubes.jpg (153.39 KiB) Viewed 4913 times
kalynbs.JPG
kalynbs.JPG (10.23 KiB) Viewed 4922 times
silver2.JPG
silver2.JPG (146.94 KiB) Viewed 4916 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

JPG40504 wrote:Looking Good! Now that I have your attention, How DID you get the 'after' pix to locate on the right side of the 'page'? :confused: Gonna try something next. The pix are randomly chosen and mean nothing.

[ATTACH]3844[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3844[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3844[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3844[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3844[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3844[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3844[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3844[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3844[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3844[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3844[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3844[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3844[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3844[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]3844[/ATTACH]

P.S. Also instructive was changing the forum window width. The window width determines 'usable pix space, and the overflow is bumped down a 'line' automatically.
Not sure I understand your question about the right side of the page. Last time this happened, we were talking about two different things. My 'after' pix should have just been directly to the right of the 'before' pics, not on the RIGHT side of the screen. Are you saying that the before pic was on the left and then there was a big old gap and then the after pic was on the far right?
Mike
Sunny San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote:Not sure I understand your question about the right side of the page. Last time this happened, we were talking about two different things. My 'after' pix should have just been directly to the right of the 'before' pics, not on the RIGHT side of the screen. Are you saying that the before pic was on the left and then there was a big old gap and then the after pic was on the far right?
OK! 'to the right of the b4 pix' ALMOST to the right side of the page(Not the edge)!

Actually I answered the question by my 'attempts'. A lot of different things are going on. You can 'insert' as many attachments on a 'line' even though the 'editor' will wrap to the next (EDIT) line. When read, the window width of the 'reader' will also wrap them iff required. You can observe this wrapping by changing the WINDOW size while reading it.

i.e. in my previous post with so many pix, the editor(when creating post) put the 14 pix attaches on three different lines on the EDITOR screen. When read, the window size determines how many of these display on a line. Changing the window width allows more to display on a line. Window size of editor also affects wrap while editing.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

mickyd wrote:Not sure I understand your question about the right side of the page. Last time this happened, we were talking about two different things. My 'after' pix should have just been directly to the right of the 'before' pics, not on the RIGHT side of the screen. Are you saying that the before pic was on the left and then there was a big old gap and then the after pic was on the far right?
Could you do this if every image had a different identifier.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG40504 wrote:Looking Good! Now that I have your attention, How DID you get the 'after' pix to locate on the right side of the 'page'? :confused: Gonna try something next. The pix are randomly chosen and mean nothing.

[ATTACH]3844[/ATTACH]

Would this have worked if every image had a different identifier? You only have three images; 3844 is used multiple times.

The forum has a five image limit but you seem to have exceeded that unless 3844 only counts as 1 even though it is displayed 17 times.

Also, I don't understand your statement that you changed the forum window width. How did you do that? Unless you are talking about image size. I know how to change the size of the image.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

[quote="dusty"]Would this have worked if every image had a different identifier? You only have three images]
The limit is the number of attachments you can define in the 'managing attachments' function. Obviously you CAN display them as many times as you want. I am going to try and attach '3844' without going through the normal attachment upload, etc.

[ATTACH]3844[/ATTACH]
THE [ATT...]3844[/ATT...] IS IDENTICAL TO A []XXX[/] CREATED FOR AN ATTACHMENT MANAGEMENT DEFINED REFERENCE(XXX).
APPARENTLY IT ATTACHES AN EXTERNAL REFERENCE(ATTACHMENT 3844) AS SHOWN(YOU CAN LINK TO IT) RATHER THAN DISPLAY AS AN ATTACHMENT DEFINED THROUGH ATTACHMENT MANAGEMENT.

If you're running the forum(or anything else) in a window(NOT in FULL screen mode) you can change the window size by dragging a corner or edge of the window. The image stays the same size, but if the window is too small to display all of it, scroll bars will be generated . Text will expand to fill the window or wrap to stay inside it.

If you do NOT reference a managing attachments defined attachment IN the text, it automatically creates the following:

BOY are we OFF SUBJECT! You started it Mike!(WHAT is your screen size???)!
Attachments
goldie tubes.jpg
goldie tubes.jpg (153.39 KiB) Viewed 4497 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

[quote="dusty"]Would this have worked if every image had a different identifier? You only have three images]
The limit is the number of attachments you can define in the 'managing attachments' function. Obviously you CAN display them as many times as you want. I am going to try and attach '3844' without going through the normal attachment upload, etc.

[ATTACH]3844[/ATTACH]
THE [ATT...]3844[/ATT...] IS IDENTICAL TO A []XXX[/] CREATED FOR AN ATTACHMENT MANAGEMENT DEFINED REFERENCE(XXX).
APPARENTLY IT ATTACHES AN EXTERNAL REFERENCE(ATTACHMENT 3844) AS SHOWN(YOU CAN LINK TO IT) RATHER THAN DISPLAY AS AN ATTACHMENT DEFINED THROUGH ATTACHMENT MANAGEMENT.

If you're running the forum(or anything else) in a window(NOT in FULL screen mode) you can change the window size by dragging a corner or edge of the window. The image stays the same size, but if the window is too small to display all of it, scroll bars will be generated .
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

[ATTACH]3844[/ATTACH]

If you're running the forum(or anything else) in a window(NOT in FULL screen mode) you can change the window size by dragging a corner or edge of the window. The image stays the same size, but if the window is too small to display all of it, scroll bars will be generated . Text will expand to fill the window or wrap to keep alltext inside the window.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

Here are the stages of the carriage casting repair down to finished paint.

[ATTACH]3877[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3878[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3879[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3880[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Img_5172mod.jpg
Img_5172mod.jpg (33.29 KiB) Viewed 4974 times
Img_5176mod1.jpg
Img_5176mod1.jpg (27.84 KiB) Viewed 4977 times
Img_5210mod1.jpg
Img_5210mod1.jpg (30.47 KiB) Viewed 4974 times
Img_5314mod.jpg
Img_5314mod.jpg (29.63 KiB) Viewed 5046 times
Mike