Morse 2 extension?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

markap
Gold Member

Morse 2 extension?

Post by markap »

Now that I have the Universal tool Rest, I see I need a Morse 2 Extension so my shallower bowls will reach the tailstock.

Anyone know where to get one of these?
SS MV 520, bandsaw, jointer, planer, belt sander, mortise unit, biscut jointer, speed reducer, tool rest upgrade, sliding cross cut table, DC3300
tom_k/mo
Platinum Member

Post by tom_k/mo »

I got mine at Grangers. Works well, used it today. You also need one if you have a lift kit and turn small things like pens.
ShopSmith MarkV-520 with Belt Sander, Jointer, Band Saw, Strip Sander, Scroll Saw and Biscuit Jointer SPTs and a DC-3300...
Woodworking Hobbyist (Check out all my Woodworking Plans (http://vbwhiz.isa-geek.net/plans)
Aspiring Sandcarver: Breaking glass one grain at a time.
Black Powder Shooter (love the smell of burning sulfur).
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I think you have a couple of ways to do this. One is to use the extensions that shopsmith has as part of the lathe duplicator... I don't have that but it has been mentioned before here. I don't think anyone has posted the part number??

The second is the MT2 to MT2 like this one:
http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchan ... gory_Code=

This is the one I have, I believe when this came up before it was about half the price of the Granger one...

If you use "MT2 extension" in the search box you can read some more on this subject.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

markap wrote:Now that I have the Universal tool Rest, I see I need a Morse 2 Extension so my shallower bowls will reach the tailstock.

I don't have a Morse 2 extender, but I have a simple way of extending the quill so that the quill center will actually touch the tail center. I sliced the rubber spacer, that rides on a way tube, with a sharp knife and removed it. It will go back on with a little rubber tape and stays until you need to remove it again.

Actually, My story is: When I unpacked my 510, I thought the spacer was an extra part to prevent the headstock from crashing into the carriage during shipping. So I removed it and worked without it for years,:( until this Forum came along. I then found out that was a useful part to get the saw into the center of the table insert. So ordered one and installed it.:) Later on-my old habits got me wanting to work without it sometimes.:mad: So - I developed the "knife slice" method of removal and re-installing. Now the spacer works just like I want it to.:)
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

markap wrote:Now that I have the Universal tool Rest, I see I need a Morse 2 Extension so my shallower bowls will reach the tailstock.

Shopsmith sells one that I use (actually you need two) very cheap, it extends the live center. You have to call and ask for it, I have never seen a part number it comes with the Lathe Duplicator.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Hi
Grainger has one for about $35.00 but Grizzly has one for about $10 bucks. Look in the online Grizzly catalog for the Morse #2 extension.
Bill
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

More Info
The Grizzly Part # is H5895 and is on page 611 of the 2009 catalog.
Bill
markap
Gold Member

Post by markap »

wa2crk wrote:More Info
The Grizzly Part # is H5895 and is on page 611 of the 2009 catalog.
Bill
Just one of the things that makes this forum great. Thank you for the info and I got one on order now.
SS MV 520, bandsaw, jointer, planer, belt sander, mortise unit, biscut jointer, speed reducer, tool rest upgrade, sliding cross cut table, DC3300
iclark
Platinum Member

Post by iclark »

paulmcohen wrote:Shopsmith sells one that I use (actually you need two) very cheap, it extends the live center. You have to call and ask for it, I have never seen a part number it comes with the Lathe Duplicator.
I have 2 used lathe duplicators (one of each design) and neither of them came with an extender.

both of the parts list breakdowns show a number of optional parts:
the 555210 round, 555212 square, and 555213 diamond cutters and
505602 Tailstock Live Center.
the newer one also lists the 555278 cone cutter.

the SS site describes the 505602 as the "Live Cup Center" and notes that it is required for use with the Lathe Duplicator. (and currently on sale(?) for $31.56)

can you tell us some more about the extender that you got from SS?

Ivan
Mark V (84) w/ jigsaw, belt sander, strip sander
ER10 awaiting restoration
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

iclark wrote:I have 2 used lathe duplicators (one of each design) and neither of them came with an extender.

both of the parts list breakdowns show a number of optional parts:
the 555210 round, 555212 square, and 555213 diamond cutters and
505602 Tail stock Live Center.
the newer one also lists the 555278 cone cutter.

the SS site describes the 505602 as the "Live Cup Center" and notes that it is required for use with the Lathe Duplicator. (and currently on sale(?) for $31.56)

can you tell us some more about the extender that you got from SS?

Ivan

You need unscrew the shaft from the head of the "Live Cup Center" (no easy trick with scratching something), Shopsmith then sells (and I though one came with the duplicator) a ~1.5" rod the same diameter as the shaft, the rod has a threaded hole in one end and and matching threaded rod in the other. You then insert this between the head and shaft and your "Live Cup Center" gets 1.5" longer, you can insert up the two giving you a few extra inches of reach.

There are pictures of all the various solutions on previous posts about this topic.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC