many questions

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

mickyd wrote:I knew NOTHING about a ShopSmith 2 months ago. Now, I see it in my dreams!
You and me both. I'm going on about 8 months now. I've got 2 ER's and one day I'll have a Mark V.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

mickyd wrote:You absolutely MUST watch]http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Arch ... rn_Pt2.htm[/URL]

and

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Archives/SS123/SS123_Shopsmith_Reborn_Pt3.htm

before going much further. You'll thanks yourself AND you'll be able to better understand your machine. I knew NOTHING about a ShopSmith 2 months ago. Now, I see it in my dreams!
Are you serious. Two months ago you were not a Shopsmither and you have created that beauty you have been showing us. Absolutely amazing!
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

dusty wrote:Are you serious. Two months ago you were not a Shopsmither and you have created that beauty you have been showing us. Absolutely amazing!

I speak the truth! Restoring this ShopSmith is just pulling from many areas of life.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

dragon wrote:Thank you both for this information. I will take the time to read it all carefully before undoing screws. Did find out though that the machine that I thought was from 1978 is actually from 1962, with a 1-1/8hp motor.
Serial 379059
And, yes there are many hours of cleaning in my future !!!
Diane

Hi Dragon,
There are a lot of helpful folks on this forum, where are you located? There might be a fellow user that can help right in your town.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

SDSSmith wrote:
Hi Dragon,
There are a lot of helpful folks on this forum, where are you located? There might be a fellow user that can help right in your town.
Actually, I think this might be a timely hint. Maybe you should fill out at least part of the personal profile and let us know about your background, shop equipment and where abouts ( at least state ).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:OKAY folks, she needs some help before buying belts.

It has been confirmed that she has a unit built in 1962 and that it has a 1 1/8hp motor. It seems that this means she has one of the last models built with a Gilmer Belt. Is that correct.

If so,reham will likely require a gilmer belt and a drive belt.

These are very conveniently listed here:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/part ... dparts.htm

Gilmer Belt (521683) and Drive Belt (521682) about $40 plus shipping depending on what is on sale when you order.

Do thorough inspection while you arer cleaning. Some of these other parts are likely candidates and ordering them now would save on shipping.

NOOOOOOO!

SN-379359 1 1/8HP 196x Would ba a 'GOLDIE' with a poly-v drive! the pn 3052 is consistent with 1963 spare parts list. I believe it was made either late 1963 or early 1964.

Therefore the proper belts are: Drive 521682, Poly-v 521681.

The drive belt is very hard to remove/install. The control sheave MUST be in its HIGH speed setting(this puts drive belt out near the outside of the motor/floating sheave).

The belt is supposed to 'rub' on both sides of the pulleys/sheaves. That is how it transfers power.

P.S. I do not believe the drive belt has changed(other than identifying part number) since the Greenie Mark 5. 1963/4 would be manufactured by Magna American in Cincinnati.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG40504 wrote:NOOOOOOO!

SN-379359 1 1/8HP 196x Would ba a 'GOLDIE' with a poly-v drive! the pn 3052 is consistent with 1963 spare parts list. I believe it was made either late 1963 or early 1964.

Therefore the proper belts are: Drive 521682, Poly-v 521681.

The drive belt is very hard to remove/install. The control sheave MUST be in its HIGH speed setting(this puts drive belt out near the outside of the motor/floating sheave).

The belt is supposed to 'rub' on both sides of the pulleys/sheaves. That is how it transfers power.

P.S. I do not believe the drive belt has changed(other than identifying part number) since the Greenie Mark 5. 1963/4 would be manufactured by Magna American in Cincinnati.

OKAY now, let us get this correct before parts are purchased!!!

The Mark V is a 1962 model (SN379059). It has not been reported whether it is a Greenie or a Goldie or a Gray Smooth. If it is a Goldie, should it not have a Gilmer.

I thought the Gray Smooth, introduced in 1963, also contained the first Poly-V.

But never fear, this is easy. If your belts look like these, then you have/need 521682 (Drive Belt) and 521681 (Poly-V).

[ATTACH]3888[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3889[/ATTACH]

If you do not have a belt that looks like the one on the right, then you have/need a 521683 (Gilmer).
Attachments
Belts 1.jpg
Belts 1.jpg (96.31 KiB) Viewed 11066 times
Belts 2.jpg
Belts 2.jpg (93.06 KiB) Viewed 11064 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

'GOLDIES' came in two versions 3/4HP/Gilmer(1960 - 1962), then 1 1/8HP Poly-V(1962 - 1963) in that order.

'GRAY(smooth)' 1 1/8HP/Poly-V (1963 - 1967?).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG40504 wrote:'GOLDIES' came in two versions 3/4HP/Gilmer(1960 - 1962), then 1 1/8HP Poly-V(1962 - 1963) in that order.

'GRAY(smooth)' 1 1/8HP/Poly-V (1963 - 1967?).

OKAY, if you say so. You have more information about what was developed during the 1962-1963 time period than I do.

If I understand what you are saying, Diane needs a Poly-V and a drive belt (as shown in post#17).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:OKAY, if you say so. You have more information about what was developed during the 1962-1963 time period than I do.

If I understand what you are saying, Diane needs a Poly-V and a drive belt (as shown in post#17).
YEP! Assuming all OUR input is correct. WE have been doing some concluding without verification from Diane!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝