many questions

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

[quote="JPG40504"]YEP! Assuming all OUR input is correct. WE have been doing some concluding without verification from Diane!]

How can this info be wrong? We have been given the serial number! What else do we need:rolleyes: except a thorough understanding of the Shopsmith serial number charts for the transition period (1960-1963).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:How can this info be wrong? We have been given the serial number! What else do we need:rolleyes: except a thorough understanding of the Shopsmith serial number charts for the transition period (1960-1963).
You have more faith in those charts than I have. Do not forget she originally thought 1972. I DO feel confident about OUR conclusions. Was pretty confident about the dial setup gauge also!:eek:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dragon
Silver Member

Post by dragon »

Hubby originally thought it was a 1978 because he saw on one of the pamphlet that year in the corner. But after coming here and checking the serial number and color of the unit and motor information I found out it was 1962. Never trust a man!!!
I also have a parts list that comes from Magna with the belt number that is on my belt. Not the same part numbers as the ones listed on this site.
I will take my time to clean this unit. Still have to watch the videos that have been recommended to me but I'm on dialup so it takes a while to load.
I am positively very sure that nobody is in my area. I am from Chertsey, Quebec, Canada. That is 90 minutes north of Montreal.
Thank you very much to everybody for helping me out. My next step is watching the recommended videos and blowing out all the crud from the inside of the motor housing.
Will be back here after all that is done.
Diane
Dragon
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Well I sure hope you will be back here more often than that. What are your plans on using the SS?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
dragon
Silver Member

Post by dragon »

I have been looking around for a lathe so this will be my primary use for the Shopsmith. When people would ask me what tool I owned the answer always was: I own everything but a lathe. That's how I got this unit. I have been reading on all the great things it does but mostly I wanted a lathe.
Diane
Dragon
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

Diane - One other resource for you is All-In-One Wood Tools the Canadian Shopsmith rep. They have a website with tons of resources http://www.allinonewood.com/ such as their service advisor page http://63.243.136.77/?page=shop/serviceadvisor&
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

dragon wrote:Had some time off this morning and took off the cover where the motor is located. Will take the unit out in the front next week and blow with the compressor to get some of the dust out. Took off the larger of the two belts and the motor turned. That made me very happy. The belt was hard to come off because it seemed to be jammed in there. Put it back and the whole thing now turns but the belt seems to be the wrong size. It rubs on both sides on the sheave. There is a number on it "Shopsmith 3052 DF". Cannot find this on the site. Found an instruction paper with this number from the "Magna" company in Cincinnati Ohio.
I will change both belts when I find out which ones are the right ones to order for this model.
The next step for me is to clean it and oil it properly. The whole thing is dry.
Thanks for your help.
Diane

Since you have the drive belt disconnected, I would suggest you drop the motor pan (let the motor and motor pan rest on the tubes) and put the Mark V in the verical mode to clean it.

You'll have to disconnect the power cord wires at the switch to do this.
WITH THE POWER CORD UNPLUGGED OF COURSE

I find it a lot easier to work on this way. I use a bungy cord to hold the headstock endcap up out of the way while in the vertical mode..
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dragon wrote: . . . But after coming here and checking the serial number and color of the unit and motor information I found out it was 1962. . . .
And WHAT color IS it?:)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

dragon wrote: My next step is watching the recommended videos and blowing out all the crud from the inside of the motor housing.

Diane
There are DVD's out there that you can buy from SS or other sources.

BEFORE ya blow out the crud and dust out of the SS. Turn the motor on, that will help keep the dust from getting into it. JUST be CAREFUL with the air nozzle.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
dragon
Silver Member

Post by dragon »

It is of a gold and rust two-tone coloring. I could post a picture of it if it makes it easier.
Yes I had the belt off because that was the problem and the reason the shaft wasn't turning. It seemed to be caught in there. After I took it off I started the motor and it turned nice while sending clouds of dust out...and when I put the belt back on the main part finally turned that I could use it. But will not use it until it is cleaned and oiled properly. Now that I know the motor is good why kill it by not treating it right.

just went to start watching a video and mine is the same color as the one he is cleaning up here
http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Arch ... rn_Pt2.htm
Diane
Dragon