Attaching the saw blade

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

flyslinger
Gold Member

Attaching the saw blade

Post by flyslinger »

I am having trouble with the allen screw coming loose on the saw blade chuck, I will snug it down tight ,then start to rip a board and notice a movement on the saw blade and shut, and sure enough it's loose, retighten it and then continue. If I change to another function, say the drill press, no problem , go back to the saw and knowing that it will loosen up make sure its tight , start a rip and it's loose, tighten it up and continue and it seems fine, have anyone else noticed this.
ldh
Gold Member

Post by ldh »

I use a drop of BLUE LOCTITE on the setscrew as a precaution against the setscrew coming loose.
ldh
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

flyslinger wrote:I am having trouble with the allen screw coming loose on the saw blade chuck, I will snug it down tight ,then start to rip a board and notice a movement on the saw blade and shut, and sure enough it's loose, retighten it and then continue. If I change to another function, say the drill press, no problem , go back to the saw and knowing that it will loosen up make sure its tight , start a rip and it's loose, tighten it up and continue and it seems fine, have anyone else noticed this.
Right after I bought three of the narrow kerf blades with arbors, one of the arbors came loose several times when sawing. I think it was on the cross cut blade. I switched allen screws between the arbors, and so far after much use have no longer had the problem. Perhaps the interaction of threads (stretching?) or the angle of attack of the one particular screw in the one particular arbor, was the cause.

Thanks for the reminder! I've grown pretty lasi-fare about this issue.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Post by kalynzoo »

I've had the blade loosen a couple of times. I now make sure the post is clean, make sure the flat surface and lock screw are in line, and blast some air into the arbor to prevent sawdust buildup. I like IDH's idea of locktight. Will have to try some next time.
Since I don't do any big production work, I now find I check the tightness of the blade between cuts. I also give a quick check for square. I have plenty of time, and it is time well spent.
Gary Kalyn
Kalynzoo Productions
Woodworking
Porter Ranch/Northridge
Los Angeles, CA
chiroindixon
Gold Member

Post by chiroindixon »

I had complained about this several years ago to Jan. She claimed I should either "rough up" the bottom of the set screw ( they come "rough" so they can "bite") OR replace the set screw. The "teeth" will flatten after a period of time.

I now simply replace that setscrew and have no problems....until they "flatten" again. It's a function of the number of times the arbor is on/off....and how vigorously one tightens.

Doc
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

chiroindixon wrote:I had complained about this several years ago to Jan. She claimed I should either "rough up" the bottom of the set screw ( they come "rough" so they can "bite") OR replace the set screw. The "teeth" will flatten after a period of time.

I now simply replace that setscrew and have no problems....until they "flatten" again. It's a function of the number of times the arbor is on/off....and how vigorously one tightens.

Doc
I do not believe the set screws for use on the quill have "teeth" or a cup end. I am pretty sure that set screws that meet up with the quill are flat. It would seem that they would be less likely to mark or mar the quill. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the set screws were softer by design. As has been suggested, I would try a different set screw.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
chiroindixon
Gold Member

Post by chiroindixon »

Suit yourself. I just went down to my SS parts tray and found six with "cups and teeth". Some even came painted red so I would not confuse them with the flat ones......

Doc
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Thought this might be applicable to the setscrew discussion.

http://icrank.com/cgi-bin/pageman/pageo ... rce.htm&=2
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
calver
Gold Member

Post by calver »

I wonder if this is a safety issue that needs to be addressed in future designs.

Dave C.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

This was a bit tricky to find but PLEASE read this thread:
http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=501

Please read it ALL and never mind it starts out about router bits.... it soon changes to set screws.

I also believe Dusty has a post somewhere of a table of set screw sizes/ tip types and part numbers. Dusty do you where that is?

The newer arbors I have came with the brass tip as pictured... have gotten any in the last year or two or three????? Still the case?

Happy reading,

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]