Restoration Progress On My 1955 Greenie

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

nebraska wrote:How is the restoration coming, Mike?
It's been too long between your updates and I need a fix. :D

Here's a "mini fix" nebraska before you see the Greenie completed! Second coat of paint went on this morning. Came out REAL NICE! Texture is very uniform. Past 2 weeks since applying the first coat have been a blur. Did a lot of the time consuming detail work, took a few days break, and worked on other non-ShopSmith related stuff :( . (forgot to mention a few hours playing with my new ER10 rust bucket.

I am on "staycation" this week, staying at home. Figure people pay a lot of money to come to San Diego for vacation so why should I go anywhere?. Since I'm on vacation, there's no excuse for not completing the project.
+
+
The paint looks much bluer in these photos than it does in the shop. That's due to the blue sky. Inside, it looks the same color as the Verdt Green spray paint cap.

+
+
[ATTACH]4034[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4035[/ATTACH]

+
+
+
+
+
+
This shows the texture that is the same on all parts. Took a while to get the hammered paint figured out by I think I got it.

+
+
[ATTACH]4037[/ATTACH]
+
+
+
+
+

Inside of all the casting is primed with self etching gray primer to keep the oxidation away. Thanks for that tip Bill Mayo.
+
+
+
[ATTACH]4036[/ATTACH]
+
+
+
Next post from me here will be the finished product. (that is of course unless anyone has any questions)
Attachments
Img_5386mod.jpg
Img_5386mod.jpg (67.17 KiB) Viewed 4188 times
Img_5391mod.jpg
Img_5391mod.jpg (38.62 KiB) Viewed 4175 times
Img_5394mod.jpg
Img_5394mod.jpg (61.71 KiB) Viewed 4195 times
Img_5388mod.jpg
Img_5388mod.jpg (84.11 KiB) Viewed 4176 times
Mike
Sunny San Diego
osx-addict
Gold Member

Post by osx-addict »

Keep up the great work! Looking good!
Rick
S/W of Los Angeles, CA
1983 Mark V model 510 (SN#140061)
mickyd
Platinum Member

Maybe one more!!

Post by mickyd »

OK, I know I said that the next post from me would be the finished product. Not finished yet but.....thought I'd show you how my casters are coming out. Their starting to shine up pretty nice. Couple more passes on the buffing wheel and they should be JUST RIGHT!! :D Aluminum sure can polish up nicely.
-
-
-
-
[ATTACH]4050[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Img_5399mod.jpg
Img_5399mod.jpg (50.86 KiB) Viewed 3972 times
Mike
Sunny San Diego
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

mickyd wrote:OK, I know I said that the next post from me would be the finished product. Not finished yet but.....thought I'd show you how my casters are coming out. Their starting to shine up pretty nice. Couple more passes on the buffing wheel and they should be JUST RIGHT!! :D Aluminum sure can polish up nicely.
-
-
-
-
[ATTACH]4050[/ATTACH]

By Mike, you can almost SEE yourself in that shine job. :rolleyes:
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
nebraska
Gold Member

Post by nebraska »

mickyd wrote:Here's a "mini fix" nebraska before you see the Greenie completed!
That's better - thanks! :D
Great work, as always.
-Chad

1982 SS ~ Bandsaw, Jointer (Inherited in 2008, Restoration in Progress)
Primary Project ~ Making bamboo fly rods (View Complete Project Blog)
judaspre1982
Platinum Member

RE: Polished Aluminum

Post by judaspre1982 »

====================
Last edited by judaspre1982 on Fri May 19, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
osx-addict
Gold Member

Post by osx-addict »

Maybe a nice double coating of some sort -- something like that below -- care of a google search:

http://www.seichemical.com/products/CPT-clearcoat.html
Rick
S/W of Los Angeles, CA
1983 Mark V model 510 (SN#140061)
nebraska
Gold Member

Post by nebraska »

Sorry to hijack your thread Mike, but all this "sticker" talk made me head home last night to check my 1982 SS. The warning sticker is still perfectly adhered, but whatever it once said is completely gone.

Does anyone know if the warning stickers available in this thread are the same that were used on the 1982 headstocks?
-Chad

tom_k/mo
Platinum Member

Post by tom_k/mo »

Chad, if someone can get me a decent photo of an original Warning sticker with the overall dimensions, I'd be glad to work one up like I did for the Caution stickers.
ShopSmith MarkV-520 with Belt Sander, Jointer, Band Saw, Strip Sander, Scroll Saw and Biscuit Jointer SPTs and a DC-3300...
Woodworking Hobbyist (Check out all my Woodworking Plans (http://vbwhiz.isa-geek.net/plans)
Aspiring Sandcarver: Breaking glass one grain at a time.
Black Powder Shooter (love the smell of burning sulfur).
nebraska
Gold Member

Post by nebraska »

tom_k/mo wrote:Chad, if someone can get me a decent photo of an original Warning sticker with the overall dimensions, I'd be glad to work one up like I did for the Caution stickers.
Thanks! Now we just need that decent photo...
-Chad