new to shopsmith ownership

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Bill-Co
Bronze Member

traveling acadamy

Post by Bill-Co »

One will be in Pueblo, Co. in Sept. Check with SS for the correct dates.

Good Luck:)
army1ret
Silver Member

Post by army1ret »

Thad-
Also, if you don't have one, get a copy of the user's manual. There are lots of great tips in there that will save you some time in the long run. The usuer's manual will tell you how to set up the tables, the fence, ensure the blade is cutting straight, and help you with all kinds of cool tidbits of information that'll make your woodworking experience worthwhile.

I couldn't get to an academy, so I grabbed my manuals and went to town.

Shopsith is awesome when they send you a new peice of equipment. They include detailed manuals and the tech support is wonderful!

Good Luck!
Shannon Fields
CPT, FA
US Army Retired!
Bryan, TX :rolleyes:
exminoas
Bronze Member

Post by exminoas »

Fort Collins, Oct. 5,6 and 7
Jake
marinegunny
Bronze Member

marinegunny

Post by marinegunny »

woodworkerthad wrote:what are the main problems and what do i need to do to get it up and running
Problems...uh let me start by saying welcome to the world of wood working.
I have a Shopsmith Mark V, I brought NEW in 1975. Today I just order a new saw blade. That is wright 'I just order a new saw blade to replace the saw blade that came with my Shopsmith". I have had NO PROBLEMS with my Shopsmith. Just keep it clean and in good working order, you will not have any problems with your Shopsmith.
Now I know some one out there will not belive me about the saw blade! I do have the Balde..I can not read any informatation on it, I will let anyone put it to a test to see if this blade is over 30 years old. Yes I still use the blade.
Later and Welcome to Shopsmith wood working. John
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

For those of you who have no idea what a blade from the era looks like this is the orginal 1976 model.... but no I do not use it anymore and it has not been on the saw in like 28-29 years....

When I started woodworking (well before 1976) all of the blades looked like this, and I would take out a file and touch up the teeth, had to reset the teeth with a punch as needed to keep clearance and even get them back in to round after a few sharpenings. I would say you got maybe upto 20 hours of sawing before you had to do it all over again and in hardwood you could knock that time way down.

Just be glad we have the blades we have now a days.

John you are in for a big shock when you start using your new blade!

Ed
Attachments
org1976blade.jpg
org1976blade.jpg (49.58 KiB) Viewed 22466 times
Greenvilleguy
Gold Member

Post by Greenvilleguy »

Ed,

I have a whole collection of these blades sitting gathering dust. Maybe some creative type out there can figure out something we could use them for.
dusty
Platinum Member

New to Shopsmith Ownership

Post by dusty »

Go to http://www.shopsmith.com and click on Support and Information. You'll find a way to determine the next class via ZIP code.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Greenvilleguy wrote:Ed,

I have a whole collection of these blades sitting gathering dust. Maybe some creative type out there can figure out something we could use them for.
I think this is the only one I saved... but with all my junk it could be I have more.......

So anyone have an idea other then a clock???

If so start a new thread with the idea.

Ed