Restoration Progress On My 1955 Greenie

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

I realize that this is the 2nd post I've made after saying previously that the next post I make would be my finished Greenie. I forgot something though. When I was looking through my thread, I realized that I never posted a photo of what the finished caster assembly looked like after the electrolysis bath and polishing. It was first shown in post #1. Well, this is what it looks like now. Everything including the actual caster wheels are the originals.
-
-

[ATTACH]4186[/ATTACH] - [ATTACH]4187[/ATTACH]
-
-

The Greenie is assembled except for the table saw that I am working on now. Well actually, I came in to to take a break. I'll be done soon.
Attachments
Hpim0372-1.jpg
Hpim0372-1.jpg (48.27 KiB) Viewed 4459 times
Img_5434mod1.jpg
Img_5434mod1.jpg (35.1 KiB) Viewed 4569 times
Mike
Sunny San Diego
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

WOW, that cleaned up NICELY. Now HOW are you going to keep them looking like that?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
osx-addict
Gold Member

Post by osx-addict »

Man-o-Man.. That thing will need to be put in a museum when you're done! Looks awesome!
Rick
S/W of Los Angeles, CA
1983 Mark V model 510 (SN#140061)
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

beeg wrote:WOW, that cleaned up NICELY. Now HOW are you going to keep them looking like that?
I probably won't. It'll be trashed in no time. All that labor...down the tubes. But hey, I learned a lot about the processes involved. It was worth it.

I bought some Nevr-Dull today as recommended by tom_k/mo in this post. I am going to try that out for preservation.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Wow! All that beauty and still functional!

ATTA BOY, MIKE!!!:D
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
judaspre1982
Platinum Member

RE: Caster Wheels

Post by judaspre1982 »

======================
Last edited by judaspre1982 on Fri May 19, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

Great work, Mike! After a hard day working on my own restoration, I come in and see your pictures and realize my work was crap! LOL I'm not polishing all of the aluminum quite like you are since they won't stay that way long, but your pictures sure make me want to!
mickyd
Platinum Member

Zero clearance belt cover to way tube

Post by mickyd »

Technical issue.....notice in the photo that there is no clearance between the belt cover and the way tube on the left side of the photo only.

[ATTACH]4228[/ATTACH]

As I move the headstock on the way tubes, it moves easily but I know that the belt cover is rubbing. I can not only hear it, but also see the chatter marks it leaves on the tubes. I've tried loosening the belt cover screws and jimmying the cover around but there is absolutely NO SLOP at all between the belt cover and the headstock housing. EASY fix would be to just remove some material from the ID of the hole BUT would much prefer a CORRECT fix if there is one. Anyone know of a CORRECT fix method or is it possible that this is how it came from the factory and I should live with it.

All I can think of is either the cover is sprung and it needs to be tweaked (how I would do that is a mystery), the headstock housing is somehow out of horizontal alignment relative to the way tubes (no idea how I would adjust that alignment) or the cover had alway rubbed and I should not concern myself with it.

What say you guys?
Attachments
Img_5436mod.jpg
Img_5436mod.jpg (60.65 KiB) Viewed 4135 times
Mike
Sunny San Diego
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I wish I could help. I understand why you want a proper fix. You have done such a fantastic job thus far. It would be a shame to butcher it now.

If the motor cover is removed (moved to one end), does the headstock move according to expectations?

I'll be in the shop today, I'll sit and stare at the problem for awhile to see if I can come up with anything. I think mine chatter as well. I will report back.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
bucksaw
Gold Member

Post by bucksaw »

Have you done any measuring to determine if the holes were punched in the same position on both sides? I'm guessing you don't have a second cover to try?
Dave - Idaho
Greenie S#261612 - Mar 1954 / Greenie S#305336 - Oct 1955 / Gray S#SS1360 - ?

"Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?" :cool: