Restoration Progress On My 1955 Greenie

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote:Is that spring steel on the back of the cover? Looks quite thick. Also, is it symetrical to the centerline of the cover. Note sure due to the angle the photo was taken at. Do you need to use a screwdriver to put it on by flexing the lower end of it after inserting the upper end into the headstock?
YES it is about 1/32" thick spring steel(stiff). The end is about even with the bottom od, and 1/4" beyond the top od. It is swaged onto the medalliion in a groove in the center.

The intent is to allow over insertion at the top and then slip the bottom in and down.

The two hemispherical flat areas at the top and bottom are a good place to locate 'screws' if you decide to go that route.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

JPG40504 wrote:The two hemispherical flat areas.............

"hemispherical flat area" 'ey. So your saying a "curved flat"? Is that like a definate possibility, or, once again. :D
Mike
Sunny San Diego
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

JPG40504 wrote:YES it is about 1/32" thick spring steel(stiff). The end is about even with the bottom od, and 1/4" beyond the top od. It is swaged onto the medalliion in a groove in the center.

The intent is to allow over insertion at the top and then slip the bottom in and down.

The two hemispherical flat areas at the top and bottom are a good place to locate 'screws' if you decide to go that route.

Could I possibly get a profile view of the medallion retainer?

Do you think that spring stock is an original Greenie retaining method or does a Greenie owner need to verify? (you know, that insane originality thing I have going on!!)
Mike
Sunny San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote:Could I possibly get a profile view of the medallion retainer?

Do you think that spring stock is an original Greenie retaining method or does a Greenie owner need to verify? (you know, that insane originality thing I have going on!!)
Since your 'hole' looks the same as Goldie vintage, I feel sure the Medallion retention is the same.

[ATTACH]4306[/ATTACH]
The 'profile' requested.

[ATTACH]4307[/ATTACH]
Same flipped.

[ATTACH]4308[/ATTACH]
See the 'semi-circular' shapes at top & bottom! [A FLAT hemisphere IS a semi-circle:D ]

Originality thing is NOT insane!!!:cool: Obsessive maybe.;)
Attachments
medpro.jpg
medpro.jpg (264.77 KiB) Viewed 3938 times
medsid.jpg
medsid.jpg (364.37 KiB) Viewed 3931 times
medfrnt.jpg
medfrnt.jpg (382.43 KiB) Viewed 3940 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

[quote="JPG40504"]Since your 'hole' looks the same as Goldie vintage, I feel sure the Medallion retention is the same.

[ATTACH]4306[/ATTACH]
The 'profile' requested.

[ATTACH]4307[/ATTACH]
Same flipped.

[ATTACH]4308[/ATTACH]
See the 'semi-circular' shapes at top & bottom! [A FLAT hemisphere IS a semi-circle:D ]

Originality thing is NOT insane!!!:cool: Obsessive maybe.]

EXCELLENT shots jpg. I can easily make this.

Did you say that the usability of this design is a pain in the neck?
Mike
Sunny San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote:EXCELLENT shots jpg. I can easily make this.

Did you say that the usability of this design is a pain in the neck?
I said PITA! Neck does not start with an A! It is troublesome to snap in and out. Since that is a seldom done task(unless you use it a lot and lubricate every 10 hrs as recommended:rolleyes: ) it can be tolerated. You may need liquid nails or jbweld to affix spring to back of medallion. It must be really secure since the force of removing it puts a LOT of strain on the spring/medallion joint.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

JPG40504 wrote:YES it is about 1/32" thick spring steel(stiff). The end is about even with the bottom od, and 1/4" beyond the top od. It is swaged onto the medalliion in a groove in the center.

The back of my medallion isn't swaged like the back of yours shown in your post 243. Here's how mine looks.

[ATTACH]4312[/ATTACH]

So, I wonder how mine was ever attached. What do you think?

I need some other Greenie owners to look at theirs.
Attachments
Img_5490mod.jpg
Img_5490mod.jpg (67.87 KiB) Viewed 4109 times
Mike
Sunny San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote:The back of my medallion isn't swaged like the back of yours shown in your post 243. Here's how mine looks.

[ATTACH]4312[/ATTACH]

So, I wonder how mine was ever attached. What do you think?

I need some other Greenie owners to look at theirs.
Nope no swaging marks. I DO notice marks on the posts(tinnerman nuts?). That would mean to remove it requires access from INSIDE(drop motor etc.). Might explain WHY it was NOT attached.:eek:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

JPG40504 wrote:...BTW the saw blade is what happens when you leave a saw blade in evaporust and air too long. It seems to have acquired a nice black oxide finish??????
The other saw blade does knot look all that great either!!! :eek:
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Mike,

I do KNOT have a Greenie. The following is speculation and might easily be disproved: Due to the lack of swaging marks and the marks that ARE on the two posts, could this logo have come with a SS that DID KNOT have an access hole? Or, could your SS have had the access hole drilled and the previous owner had knot figured out how to re-hang the logo? Just a thought.

edit: On second thought, after reviewing the picure you showed us, that looks like a factory hole, still...
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.