Shreaded Bandsaw Tires

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chiroindixon
Gold Member

Post by chiroindixon »

Mine had done the same thing....Then I remembered an old bicycling trick to secure handlebar tape which works great.

So...with the new tires in hand and a can of wife's hair spray.....I prefitted/stretched the new tires and took them off. Then I sprayed the wheels with hair spray....and refitted the tires. Let them dry awhile.

Been working great. I have resawed all sorts of stuff to include hickory and old oak. Not a problem....

Doc
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

Yes the new top end is the "D" setting according to Nick.

Ed
guitarnut wrote:Hello Ed.

Thanks for the reply. The supplier, Sulphur Grove Tools, recommends running at no higher than the "D" setting. Is this the lower setting you refer to?

Peace,
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

chiroindixon wrote:Mine had done the same thing....Then I remembered an old bicycling trick to secure handlebar tape which works great.

So...with the new tires in hand and a can of wife's hair spray.....I prefitted/stretched the new tires and took them off. Then I sprayed the wheels with hair spray....and refitted the tires. Let them dry awhile.

Been working great. I have resawed all sorts of stuff to include hickory and old oak. Not a problem....

Doc
Doc
Hair spray, basically you lacquered the tires onto the wheel?

I was interested in Bill Mayo's input, I had suspected that urethane tires might be more suceptable to heat than the old rubber tires. Also since they aren't glued in place centrifugal force is always trying to pull them away from the wheel itself. My tires are fine on my Bandsaw but if they the ever need replacement I think I will stick to the old rubber and glue method.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
guitarnut
Gold Member

Post by guitarnut »

chiroindixon wrote: So...with the new tires in hand and a can of wife's hair spray.....I prefitted/stretched the new tires and took them off. Then I sprayed the wheels with hair spray....and refitted the tires. Let them dry awhile.

From the supplier of the urethane tires:
3M Weatherstrip adhesive works well. After you install the tire place an object (dowel) under the tire and apply a little behind the dowel as you rotate around wheel. BTW, I very seldom put them in hot water. A little harder to install but it can be done. Bill, Sulphur Grove Tools

Peace,
Mark
SW Indiana
Mark V 500, SS Band Saw, SS Jointer, Ridgid 13" planer, Ridgid Belt/Drum Sander, Delta 50-720 dust collector.
"Thought that is no longer limited brings experience that is no longer limited" - Marianne Williamson