New Shopsmith Amana Blade Special

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

fjimp
Platinum Member

New Shopsmith Amana Blade Special

Post by fjimp »

On Monday June 6 I received an email special from Shopsmith for new higher quality Shopsmith Amana Blades. I called and ordered one in order to check them out. During the conversation with Linda I learned that the current Shopsmith blades are also mannufactured by Shopsmith. The newer version is simply higher quality and priced. Prior to being offered by Shopsmith they were tested by Jim McCann. I am curious has anyone else looked into or ordered any of these blades? fjimp
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

fjimp wrote:On Monday June 6 I received an email special from Shopsmith for new higher quality Shopsmith Amana Blades. I called and ordered one in order to check them out. During the conversation with Linda I learned that the current Shopsmith blades are also mannufactured by Shopsmith. The newer version is simply higher quality and priced. Prior to being offered by Shopsmith they were tested by Jim McCann. I am curious has anyone else looked into or ordered any of these blades? fjimp
I'd like to test one but my spending habits, lately, dictate that I not do that. Besides, I already have more blades than I have arbors or storage space. I'll just wait patiently for your performance report.

It is going to be very difficult for you to leave those packaged up when they do arrive. By my calculations, you have about three more weeks before your PT releases you, right?

The following, an extract from your message, is suppose to read "Amana" right?

I learned that the current Shopsmith blades are also mannufactured by Shopsmith.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

dusty wrote:I'd like to test one but my spending habits, lately, dictate that I not do that. Besides, I already have more blades than I have arbors or storage space. I'll just wait patiently for your performance report.

It is going to be very difficult for you to leave those packaged up when they do arrive. By my calculations, you have about three more weeks before your PT releases you, right?

The following, an extract from your message, is suppose to read "Amana" right?

I learned that the current Shopsmith blades are also mannufactured by Shopsmith.
Dusty you are correct. I read that three times and tried to figure out what was wrong with it. Yes Amana. You are also correct regarding my time prior to doing much shop work. However Shopsmith is waiting to order them to see how many of us are willing to try them. It's sad how scared business is today of taking a risk on any new purchase. I recently found a new sawhorse called a jawhorse. It answers the extra hand shortage I live with daily. I have been trying for 10 days to find one to look at. No one withing 100 miles is willing to take a risk and stock one. I finally convinced the woodcraft store in Richmond to bring one in. I hope its still there on Saturday. fjimp
F. Jim Parks

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
chiroindixon
Gold Member

Post by chiroindixon »

I recently found a new sawhorse called a jawhorse. It answers the extra hand shortage I live with daily. I have been trying for 10 days to find one to look at. No one withing 100 miles is willing to take a risk and stock one. I finally convinced the woodcraft store in Richmond to bring one in.

You piqued my interest....and I quickly found the JawHorse offered by Lowes. Saw the complete set of demo videos, the works. Then I had the option of searching which stores had them, to include buying on line...and picking up at the closest store. Actually...this approach takes out their risk and has a bunch of other advantages I can think of....

Now....Do I really want to add one to my shop? Hmmm

Doc
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

chiroindixon wrote:I recently found a new sawhorse called a jawhorse. It answers the extra hand shortage I live with daily. I have been trying for 10 days to find one to look at. No one withing 100 miles is willing to take a risk and stock one. I finally convinced the woodcraft store in Richmond to bring one in.

You piqued my interest....and I quickly found the JawHorse offered by Lowes. Saw the complete set of demo videos, the works. Then I had the option of searching which stores had them, to include buying on line...and picking up at the closest store. Actually...this approach takes out their risk and has a bunch of other advantages I can think of....

Doc
I would hope that when you do decide to purchase one you DO buy it from Woodcraft!:)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

chiroindixon wrote:I recently found a new sawhorse called a jawhorse. It answers the extra hand shortage I live with daily. I have been trying for 10 days to find one to look at. No one withing 100 miles is willing to take a risk and stock one. I finally convinced the woodcraft store in Richmond to bring one in.

Doc
Doc, I cannot answer that question for you. I answered it for myself this afternoon. I ordered from Amazon along with the welding clamp and log holders. I suppose you could say the love of my life gave me a fathers day gift. Then again she is retired so that comment is not too accurate. I did get her approval. I do believe this will help the one armed guy be a bit safer when no help is available. Man I love new tools. fjimp
F. Jim Parks

robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I have been "kick starting" a Jaw Horse every time I see one in a store and so far I am kind of impressed...
I'll probably keep kicking the tires for a while yet until I have some "extra" money coming in (have to allow some for a trip this summer) but I have been "thinking it into place" as I work on the shop. :)
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
mbcabinetmaker
Platinum Member

Post by mbcabinetmaker »

Just hang in there Farmer with your luck you will probably kick one up at a yard sale for oh say 10 or 20 bucks!:)

Mark

PS: This thread started about Amana saw blades on sale at SS. I have used a lot of their products over the years and find them to be excellent quality.
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

mbcabinetmaker wrote:Just hang in there Farmer with your luck you will probably kick one up at a yard sale for oh say 10 or 20 bucks!:)

Mark

PS: This thread started about Amana saw blades on sale at SS. I have used a lot of their products over the years and find them to be excellent quality.
If anyone can its Farmer fjimp
F. Jim Parks

robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I have been looking at them with this urge to build one into a work bench as a primary vise. I haven't really got it all figured out yet but I can see a foot operated vise being very handy when you want to grip pieces and need at least three hands. How many times have you tried to close your vise with your knee while you held the parts? :)
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill