Headstock Reassembly

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Headstock Reassembly

Post by JPG »

This thread is intended to be an overview thread linking to several additional threads showing reassembly of a completely disassembled headstock.

Upper Shaft (1 of 2) http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?p=40968#post40968

Upper Shaft (2 of 2) http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?p=40969#post40969

Idler Shaft http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?p=40961#post40961

Quill/feed (1 of 3) http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?p=40993#post40993

Quill/feed (2 of 3) http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?p=40994#post40994

Quill/feed (3 of 3) http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?p=41005#post41005

Speed Control (1 of 2) http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?p=40966#post40966

Speed Control (2 of 2) http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=3769

Carriage Lock http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?p=40958#post40958

This is a work in progress and is NOT yet complete! Still to come - motor reassembly. See link below!

This thread is linked to by a thread which includes reassembly of other areas of a Mark V as well as some SPT's. (Most of which is still a work in progress).
http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?p=41339#post41339
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ajohnson024
Silver Member

Post by ajohnson024 »

jpg,

This thread is a god send. To have a definiative guide like this is ideal for a newcomer like myself. Thank you for your great work.

Dwight
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ajohnson024 wrote:jpg,

This thread is a god send. To have a definiative guide like this is ideal for a newcomer like myself. Thank you for your great work.

Dwight
Most 'instructions' are how to disassemble something, and then they say "reverse the sequence" to reassemble.

I flipped that and could say "to disassemble, reverse the sequence"!:D

Hopefully I have not left out any of the non-obvious 'gotchas'.:)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

Excellent idea jpg. Very helpful for someone to refer to while going through a reassemble without having to watch the specific sawdust session. Very good!
Mike
Sunny San Diego
eartigas
Gold Member

Post by eartigas »

Excellent stuff.

Hope it will continue with motors, bandsaw, etc..."We The People" will appreciate this.

Thanks
Ed
Carmel, NY
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

eartigas wrote:Excellent stuff.

Hope it will continue with motors, bandsaw, etc..."We The People" will appreciate this.

Thanks
Patience Grasshopper.

My Band saw is running just fine and I believe in 'If it ain't broke, do not FIX it!'.

I currently have a belt sander 'tore' down so that may follow the 'motor' section(which is awaiting bearings).

I have thought about including some additional threads while I reassemble the rest of the 510 I recently acquired. The bench and way tube take apart was interesting. I do not know what kept it together!

Help me. Should they be part of this thread, part of an overall thread which includes the headstock and the other stuff? i.e. an outline/menu/link organization.

BTW It is NOT my intention to in any way replace or detract from any of the Sawdust sessions by NICK/DREW or any SS literature. It is intended to help understand with more specific still pix of reasonable quality that which IS being discussed in them. Also to 'warn' others of the possible 'goofs' which I have discovered 'the hard way'.

I cannot walk on water(yet:D ) so my request for corrections/identifying confusion IS serious and necessary and WILL result in corrections/clarification.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Very nicely done. Keep it up... :cool:
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

JPG40504 wrote:The bench and way tube take apart was interesting. I do not know what kept it together!

A number of the ones I bought were poorly assembled and on some the set screws were only finger tight at best. I actually appreciated that since I was disassembling them to haul them home. I hauled about all of them in the trunk and back seat floor of a Lincoln Town Car. Many of the sellers were flabbergasted at the speed at which I could get one apart, loaded and get the trunk shut. :)
A couple had actually made arrangements with neighbors or family to help "wrestle" the thing up out of a basement shop. I told them that I was not going to wrestle anything. We just carried out the small pieces. :D
Remove the tie bar, slip off the headstock and carriage, remove both ends from the tubes and go... :)
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

JPG40504 wrote:Patience Grasshopper........

I have thought about including some additional threads while I reassemble the rest of the 510 I recently acquired. The bench and way tube take apart was interesting. I do not know what kept it together!

Help me. Should they be part of this thread, part of an overall thread which includes the headstock and the other stuff? i.e. an outline/menu/link organization............

Considering the the subject of this thread is specific to the headstock, I would either
  1. See if admin can change the subject to encompass your entire SCOPE.
  2. Create new thread(s) for the the other specific topic(s) BUT....make sure to edit the first post of this thread showing how to get out to the other ones AND on the other threads, include a link back to this thread. That's going to be the tough part. I attempted that approach in my greenie restoration thread referring to tube polishing.
Path of least resistance is option 1 which also probably makes the most sense.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

robinson46176 wrote:A number of the ones I bought were poorly assembled and on some the set screws were only finger tight at best. I actually appreciated that since I was disassembling them to haul them home. I hauled about all of them in the trunk and back seat floor of a Lincoln Town Car. Many of the sellers were flabbergasted at the speed at which I could get one apart, loaded and get the trunk shut. :)
A couple had actually made arrangements with neighbors or family to help "wrestle" the thing up out of a basement shop. I told them that I was not going to wrestle anything. We just carried out the small pieces. :D
Remove the tie bar, slip off the headstock and carriage, remove both ends from the tubes and go... :)
Used almost the same procedure, except I left the tubes IN the caps and removed the legs. Discovered the 'loose' way tubes later. They just pulled out! Dropped the motor from the headstock to decrease weight and reduce top heaviness(legs off for the same reason). I did not have stairs to contend with, but a van full of 'other stuff'(spt's and accessories).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝