Sketchup 101 anyone?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

fturner
Silver Member

Post by fturner »

Count me in. I have sketched up several versions of one as yet un-built project. That probably makes me about a 1.1.
Fred
Laramie, WY

Shopsmith: '57 500, '82 510r, bandsaw, jointer, beltsander, biscuit joiner Craftsman: early '60s RAS Ryobi: drill press, miter saw Grizzly: scroll saw
Len
Gold Member

Post by Len »

I am spatially challenged, see things in my head kind of well, but drawing? So being a half-wit, mark me down for a half way go at this.
Anniversary Model 505 to 520 Up grade, with Band saw, Jointer, Strip & Belt Sander, and a catalog of wishes.
W3DRM
Gold Member

Post by W3DRM »

While we are waiting for the class to start, here is a link to the Google Sketchup 7 for Dummies website. The author of that site is incredible. I would suggest that everyone take a look at the site and his video tutorials on YouTube.

It's just amazing what can be done with Sketchup 7. And, he makes it look so easy...

http://www.aidanchopra.com/tableofcontents

Take a look at the reference links he has for even more videos and other references for the product.
Don - W3DRM - Minden, Nevada --- SS 510 (new 2005), Bandsaw, Jointer, Conical & Standard sanding disks, & DC3300
Carson Valley Weather - http://www.carsonvalleyweather.com
baddlad
Gold Member

Post by baddlad »

great link and count me in for a class on Sketchup.
rdewinter
Gold Member

sketchup 101

Post by rdewinter »

Great idea as I find the program a bit complicated.

Group 1 for me.

I would like the study course of Sketchup to stay pretty basic so that at completion we can have something useful to work with. I would think we could learn more of the advanced features on our own once we know the basics (hmmmm, kinda like woodworking)

Bob
San Diego
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Well Bob, we can get that chore out of the way right now.

Start by loading up Sketchup. Across the top of the screen are a number of words. Place the cursor over the word DRAW and click. This gives you a drop down menu. Select line. Now you see a pencil on the screen.

Click the mouse and start drawing.

Done with that?

Click on the UpArrow, far left side. Point at the Rectangle and click. Now you got the pencil back. Click and draw. Now you are a budding sketchup artist.

Pay some attention to the instructions across the bottom of the screen.

See you in class.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
mbcabinetmaker
Platinum Member

Update

Post by mbcabinetmaker »

Students including myself!:)

Tom has suggested a curriculum starting with the downloading instructions for the program, followed by at least 3 drawing projects each a little more advanced than the previous. He has some ideas about using Skype to connect and be able to view his desktop. I think that is a great idea as it would be much like a classroom. I was not familiar with Skype and some of you may not be as well, so I am suggesting that we learn that process in the time before the class starts.

Mark
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

mbcabinetmaker wrote:Students including myself!:)

Tom has suggested a curriculum starting with the downloading instructions for the program, followed by at least 3 drawing projects each a little more advanced than the previous. He has some ideas about using Skype to connect and be able to view his desktop. I think that is a great idea as it would be much like a classroom. I was not familiar with Skype and some of you may not be as well, so I am suggesting that we learn that process in the time before the class starts.

Mark

Good idea, Mark. I should have read the forum posts before I started my last new thread.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
mbcabinetmaker
Platinum Member

Tom is the Man

Post by mbcabinetmaker »

Something exciting is coming but you didn't here it from me!:D ;)

Mark

2017 Power Pro Mark 7
2002 50th anniversary model 520
and a few other woodworking tools.
iclark
Platinum Member

Post by iclark »

mbcabinetmaker wrote:He has some ideas about using Skype to connect and be able to view his desktop. I think that is a great idea as it would be much like a classroom. I was not familiar with Skype and some of you may not be as well, so I am suggesting that we learn that process in the time before the class starts.
Mark,
do you have a good link to start learning Skype?
preferably something at the slow dummies level.

Ivan
Mark V (84) w/ jigsaw, belt sander, strip sander
ER10 awaiting restoration