Cracked Headstock Casing

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jesse_27
Silver Member

Cracked Headstock Casing

Post by jesse_27 »

Hello,

I am looking for everyones advice here on repair techniques to repair a crack in the casing to the headstock. The mounting for the speed control is broken and I need to rebuild it so the speed control mounts properly. Any and all suggestiosn are encouraged!

Jesse
Attachments
small.jpg
small.jpg (97.19 KiB) Viewed 6291 times
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Hi;
I would try to use the same diameter screw as the other two but back up the one in the broken area with a flat washer, lock washer and a nut. A drop of blue loctite would also help hold the screw. Don't know if this will last a lifetime but there appears to be enough meat there to hold ok.
Bill V
stew
Gold Member

Post by stew »

Take a look at this site http://www.aluminumrepair.com/ I saw this at a woodworking show and it looked very interesting. I have no first hand experience with it but it might be worth a try. Good luck!
jesse_27
Silver Member

Post by jesse_27 »

Thank you for your advice on this one. I ended up doing a bit of a make shift piece to fit into the space. I cut a washer to fill in the broken part and attached it a full size washer on the back side for support. Seems to do the job but I fear it is no permanent solution.

Thanks again for the input I greatly appreciate all the advice I have received.

Jesse