Waiting 5 months for lathe chuck, no reply from SS

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tango
Gold Member

Waiting 5 months for lathe chuck, no reply from SS

Post by tango »

Has anyone else experienced a problem like this? I ordered a stronghold chuck with SS adaptor from SS about 5 months ago and have yet to see it. I emailed them once and was told that it is on backorder with no delivery date. Well that's all fine and dandy, but in the meantime I'm sitting here with no chuck to finish my projects!

I understand that the parts are pretty specialized when it comes to Shopsmith, and I don't mind waiting for them, but 5 months is about an eternity when it's the only tool you're waiting for.
paul heller
Gold Member

Post by paul heller »

Yes, problems like this are well known (but actually not very common) and have been discussed elsewhere in the forum at length. I waited a long time for some things, but they eventually did come in.

On anything like this, you just have to wait it out. My fear is that what you are ordering is very special and there is a chance it might never come in because of lack of demand.

Paul
tango
Gold Member

Post by tango »

paul heller wrote:Yes, problems like this are well known (but actually not very common) and have been discussed elsewhere in the forum at length. I waited a long time for some things, but they eventually did come in.

On anything like this, you just have to wait it out. My fear is that what you are ordering is very special and there is a chance it might never come in because of lack of demand.

Paul
Yeah, wait and wait and then what? Cancel the order and get it somewhere else I guess. If anyone knows where else I can order an adaptor for the SS please let me know. I have seen the adaptor for 5/8" to 1" 8tpi, but I'm not sure if the chuck will accept it.
bucksaw
Gold Member

Post by bucksaw »

Cancel the order. I call my orders into Shopsmith. If they are out of stock at the time and are not sure when they will be back in stock, I look else where.

5/8 x 1 x 8tpi adapter for shopsmith
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/L5818.html

From my experience...if the chuck requires a 1x8tp thread this adapter will work for it.
Dave - Idaho
Greenie S#261612 - Mar 1954 / Greenie S#305336 - Oct 1955 / Gray S#SS1360 - ?

"Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?" :cool:
woodburner
Gold Member

Post by woodburner »

If I were you, I would cancel my order with Shopsmith and purchase the chuck from another woodturning tool supplier like Crafts Supply. They'll have it to you in two weeks or less. You shouldn't need to wait 5 months for a chuck as common as a Stronghold.

You can order a Stronghold chuck from other woodturning tool suppliers and get the proper adapter with it that fits on a Shopsmith. Order the chuck with a "plain 5/8-inch adapter" and you will have no problems. All of the woodturning suppliers that sell this brand of chuck also sell the proper adapter so it will fit on a Shopsmith. The chuck is the same no matter who you purchase it from because the Stronghold Chuck is manufactured by the Oneway Tool Company, and not Shopsmith. The only difference is the adapter, which you will need to purchase for the type of threading that is machined onto the spindle for lathe you own. Since a Shopsmith has no threads it is called a "plain" spindle thus the name of the adapter "plain 5/8-inch."

You do not need to purchase an adapter that fits on the Shopsmith that then attaches to the adapter on the chuck. Going that route means you will have two adapters on the chuck, which is unnecessary for the Stronghold chuck. Using two adapters on a heavy chuck like the Stronghold can cause some problems with vibration, and can cause some weakness between the headstock and chuck which is a major safety concern.

I know some owners will wait it out no matter how long the backordering takes (don't know why if you don't have too), but getting something as simple as a lathe chuck shouldn't take five months.
Sawdust & Shavings,
Woodburner:o
dusty
Platinum Member

Waiting 5 monts for a lathe chuck, no reply from SS

Post by dusty »

I'm surprised at all of you. I didn't see where anyone suggested that Customer Service be contacted to get an order status update.

Yes, five months is a long time to wait for something that can be purchased elsewhere. However, it seems to me, that that decision was made when (or before) the order was placed.

Shopsmith's status with suppliers has been well known for many months. Now they are starting to turn the corner and the advise is to jump ship. I don't follow that logic.

But then I often don't follow the logic of some people. I guess I just don't understand humanity.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
shydragon
Gold Member

Post by shydragon »

I would call them, first. They might have misplaced the order. That happened to me. I waited 3 months to get my stuff. I called them twice, and both times they gave me a ship date, when those ship dates had passed, they were contacted again, only to find out the order had been misplaced.

If after the call, they still aren't able to ship, then I would cancel and go elsewhere. Personally, I don't consider that jumping ship. We usually place an order because we have a need for it, and to have your need put on hold for 5 months just doesn't sit well with me.
Pat

Oregon

1992 SS 510, 11" Bandsaw on power station, 4" jointer, Pro Planer, Incra Miter 2000, Incra Ultimate Fence Router Pkg, Grizzly 6" Parallelogram Jointer.
mbcabinetmaker
Platinum Member

Post by mbcabinetmaker »

I recently contacted customer service to check on my back orders. They are still back ordered!:rolleyes:

Mark

2017 Power Pro Mark 7
2002 50th anniversary model 520
and a few other woodworking tools.
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

I tend to agree with Dusty. My primary issue being that email requests for order status issues with any vendor tend to be incomplete or ignored. A phone call especially to a toll free number often removes the mystery and help one make an informed decision. Unless of course your real goal is to complain. Jim:confused:
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
dicksterp
Gold Member

Post by dicksterp »

Note guys, that Tango lives in Europe, not the USA.
Dick

SS equipment. '89 510 (upgrade to 520), beltsander, pro planer, SS dust collector, 2 bandsaws, jointer, strip sander (production unit #1), OPR, scroll saw, Power Station, Incra TSIII Ultra Fence System& Wonder Fence plus (2) 50 year old DeWalt RASs and Incra miter express with miter gauge