Frozen Jacobs Drill Chuck Repair - Disassembly, Cleaning, Inspection

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mickyd
Platinum Member

Frozen Jacobs Drill Chuck Repair - Disassembly, Cleaning, Inspection

Post by mickyd »

There is a pictorial repair procedure for a frozen Jacobs drill chuck. You can find it at:

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showpost.htm?p=46842&postcount=200

There were 2 on-line resources that heathicus provided to me that I used as I went through the repair:

http://www.jacobschuck.com/drill-chuck-repair.asp
http://www.beautifuliron.com/jacobs.htm

9-15-09 update
I uploaded a pdf version of the entire repair procedure. It can be found below.
Attachments
Frozen Jacobs Drill Chuck Repair Procedure.pdf
(900.7 KiB) Downloaded 6502 times
Mike
Sunny San Diego
thainglo
Gold Member

Post by thainglo »

Mike - your writeup is, once again, totally incredible. I've been fortunate enough that all the drill chucks I've picked up have been able to loosen up with penetrating oil. I'm planning on keeping this information handy in the event some day I get the opportunity to tear one apart!

Nice Job

Matt
Lost count, over a dozen rebuilt/repaired/restored
Personal equipment: 510 made in 1993, belt sander, jig saw, band saw, planer and jointer

Matt in GA
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

For those of you chewing your nails waiting for the next episode of this tale, I provide the following links since Mike neglected to do so!:D

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showpos ... tcount=201

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showpos ... tcount=202
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

JPG40504 wrote:For those of you chewing your nails waiting for the next episode of this tale, I provide the following links since Mike neglected to do so!:D

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showpost.htm?p=46843&postcount=201

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showpost.htm?p=46844&postcount=202

I didn't include these two post since when you go to the first hyperlink on post #1 above, that gets you to post 200 of my ER resto thread. You'll then notice that there is a link at the end of 200 that says "Post continued". When you click on that, it gets you to post 201. At the end of 201 is the same thing to get you to post 202.

That's ok to include these links here however. Obviously, my intent wasn't clear. What's clear to me doesn't mean it's clear to anyone else.

Thanks for keeping an eye out.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote:I didn't include these two post since when you go to the first hyperlink that gets you to post 200, you'll notice that there is a link at the end of it that says "Post continued". When you click on that, it gets you to post 201. At the end of 201 is the same thing to get you to post 202.

That's ok to include these links however. Obviously, it wasn't clear. What's clear to me doesn't mean it's clear to anyone else.

Thanks for keeping an eye out.
And here I thought you were: (choose whichever is relevant)

1) Teasing us

2) Sadisticly making us wait forever

3) Had some other ulterior motive

A clue such as <<<< CLICK ON THIS would have helped:D

I know 'links ARE blue', but you CAN make anything typed blue also.

NOT Continued <<< Do NOT click on this:eek:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

JPG40504 wrote:And here I thought you were: (choose whichever is relevant)

1) Teasing us

2) Sadisticly making us wait forever

3) Had some other ulterior motive
A clue such as <<<< CLICK ON THIS would have helped:D

I know 'links ARE blue', but you CAN make anything typed blue also.

NOT Continued <<< Do NOT click on this:eek:

OK, OK....I added the clue to my posts as you suggested. Should I also post a pair of reading glassess that someone can put on in case they have eyesight issues???? :D
Mike
Sunny San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote:OK, OK....I added the clue to my posts as you suggested. Should I also post a pair of reading glassess that someone can put on in case they have eyesight issues???? :D
NOW change the 'Continued from previous post' to a back link to the PREVIOUS post!:rolleyes:

Too bad there are not 'eyeglass' thingies for logical nearsightednes! ;>()

P.S. I took another look at your chuck reassembly pix. Your jaws(as arranged) in the 'look they are different' pix are from left to right in the pix # 2,1,3 per jacobs description. They numbered them in sequence as installed in a CLOCKWISE direction as viewed from the jaw tip end. You installed them correctly using the jaws in the pix from left to right ina COUNTER-CLOCKWISE sequence from the same view. Kudos for being extra cautious re numbering them!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

[quote="JPG40504"]NOW change the 'Continued from previous post' to a back link to the PREVIOUS post!:rolleyes:

Too bad there are not 'eyeglass' thingies for logical nearsightednes! ]

Boy, you sure now how to wear a guy out first thing in the morning. :D I haven't even had my 23rd cup of coffee yet this morning and you have my brain and fingers FLYING with edits. Interestingly, in your first sentence above re "continued from previous post"......my hyperlink was actually correct BUT there is a forum bug that I have seen before where sometimes when you edit the hyperlink, it SHOWS correct in the hyperlink box but it doesn't direct you to the correct address you see in the box. To fix it, I had to delete it completely and recreate it. Oh well, it should be ok now.

re your jaw arrangement comment, my chuck DID NOT have any markings at all as stated on the Jacobs site. Their site said that both the individual jaws and mating holes would be numbered. There were NO numbers visible at all on my unit so I just numbered them 1 through 3 as I removed them. That is the reason why they may not agree with a formal description. Make sense? If I am understanding you correctly, this is what accounts for the discrepancy you indicate above.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Where on the jacobs site did it refer to numbers being on the jaws and body?

First two times I clicked on the link back it sent me to 'where I was'. It MAY be unpredictable!

The reason your jaw numbers did not match was you started with their #2 and went Counter-clockwise! i.e. Your 123 counterclockwise = THEIR 213 clockwise.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

mickyd's replies below are in maroon
JPG40504 wrote:Where on the jacobs site did it refer to numbers being on the jaws and body?

Actually, I just noticed that it wasn't a Jacobs site but instead, this one:

http://www.beautifuliron.com/jacobs.htm

It's in the section "Look closely, the jaws are not identical." about 3/4 of the way down the page

First two times I clicked on the link back it sent me to 'where I was'. It MAY be unpredictable!

It should be fixed now. I also experienced getting sent back to "where I was"!!:p Where the bug is, if you noticed, when you went back, the post number showed as 200 but it was actually post 201, which was where you already were.

The reason your jaw numbers did not match was you started with their #2 and went Counter-clockwise! i.e. Your 123 counterclockwise = THEIR 213 clockwise.

Since I made sure the same jaw went into it's mating hole, points mute.
Mike
Sunny San Diego