Miter bar slot in Shopsmith 520 table

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

claimdude
Gold Member

Miter bar slot in Shopsmith 520 table

Post by claimdude »

I am in the market for a stackable pair of feather boards for the Shopsmith table. I know the slot in my Mk V is not the standard 3/4". I saw a nice stack pair of featherboards in the Lee Valley catelogue for $29.95. They come w/ 3/4 in bars and 5/8 in bars. Does anyone here know if these bars will fit my Shopsmith miter slot or would I have to get different bars?

Thanks
Jack
Attachments
Featherboards.jpg
Featherboards.jpg (59.42 KiB) Viewed 3851 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

claimdude wrote:I am in the market for a stackable pair of feather boards for the Shopsmith table. I know the slot in my Mk V is not the standard 3/4". I saw a nice stack pair of featherboards in the Lee Valley catelogue for $29.95. They come w/ 3/4 in bars and 5/8 in bars. Does anyone here know if these bars will fit my Shopsmith miter slot or would I have to get different bars?

Thanks
Jack
Neither 3/4 nor 5/8 will fit. The ss slot is just UNDER 3/4.

However I HAVE sanded one of those down to fit. It is only necessary to have a straight flat edge(s). The disk or belt sander can accomplish this. Take an equal amount off both edges. This is very forgiving considering the way it is squeezed by the clamp.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rkh2
Platinum Member

Post by rkh2 »

Jack

Before you go out and purchase the stack-able feather-boards from Lee Valley you may want to view this sawdust session video. It shows the shopsmith feather-board being used in a stack-able feather boards setup being used on the bandsaw by Nick and also includes the plans on how to make the setup. Hope this helps.

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/Tips_Ar ... boards.htm
Ron from Lewisburg, TN
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

rkh2 wrote:Jack

Before you go out and purchase the stack-able feather-boards from Lee Valley you may want to view this sawdust session video. It shows the shopsmith feather-board being used in a stack-able feather boards setup being used on the bandsaw by Nick and also includes the plans on how to make the setup. Hope this helps.

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/Tips_Ar ... boards.htm
Good Suggestion! I got my funky one b4 any ss version! I like the ss version better!!!!!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Searched out an oldie but goody post with some more feather board ideas that might come in handy.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=2717

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]