The Weekly ??? Blog

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

A Couple of 'sliding pins' on the inside face of the back side of the drawers that would extend out beyond sides to 'catch' on the inside face of the 'legs'. They need to be retractable from the inside of the drawer for removal/insertion of the drawer. Just a brain storm.:rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

perryobear wrote:Hi everyone,

My summertime woodworking consisted of building a simple entertainment center with my college bound son for his dorm room. It was a fun time working together.

A second project, replacing a small picket fence, wasn't as much fun as the gilmer belt broke on my old greenie as I was cutting the last picket. :(

So now I need to decide if I just replace the gilmer belt (about $35.00) or dive in deeper and convert the machine over to the poly-v belt drive and two bearing quill. I am leaning toward just replacing the belt, thoughts or opinions anyone? :)

Dennis
Dennis,
The dynamic changes according to what tools you have. If you have a basic bearing pulling/installation device (there was a nice one that I got from Harbor Freight based on the forum advice from billmayo, mickyd, etc.) then you can lop a ton off your bearing-job cost and hopefully preserve your Gilmer system. Because when you open up the unit you're more than likely to detect some crusty bearings. I have heard billmayo and judaspriest1982 talk very favorably of their Gilmer systems if properly serviced. There are a few ways to go; I'm sure Bill can give you comprehensive advice and tons of experience to judge by.
Chris