Finding the center of a circle

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mickyd
Platinum Member

Finding the center of a circle

Post by mickyd »

reible posted a pretty classy way to find the center of a circle using a gorgeous brass Wood Lathe Center Finder.

Here's a much less classy (aka cheap) most of the time "close enough" version is you don't have anything as spectacular.
[ATTACH]6281[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]6282[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]6283[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]6284[/ATTACH]
Where the lines bisect is .........the center.
Attachments
a2mod.jpg
a2mod.jpg (52.88 KiB) Viewed 4670 times
a3mod.jpg
a3mod.jpg (48.74 KiB) Viewed 4681 times
a4mod.jpg
a4mod.jpg (57.25 KiB) Viewed 4673 times
a6mod.jpg
a6mod.jpg (51.05 KiB) Viewed 4668 times
Mike
Sunny San Diego
curiousgeorge
Platinum Member

Post by curiousgeorge »

Thanks, Mike. That is simple, easy to remember and a lot cheaper than having to buy a center finder.
George
Ft. Worth, TX.
Go TCU Froggies
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

curiousgeorge wrote:Thanks, Mike. That is simple, easy to remember and a lot cheaper than having to buy a center finder.

Then there is the good old "eyeball" method. No photos needed to demonstrate that!! :D I think I'll just have to try that vs. the geometry method above just to see how close I can get.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

mickyd wrote:Then there is the good old "eyeball" method. No photos needed to demonstrate that!! :D I think I'll just have to try that vs. the geometry method above just to see how close I can get.
My experience is this method works better with larger circles, and with smaller ones it doesn't matter as much anyway.;)
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

You folks are far classier than I am. I just measure across the widest point of the circle with my tape measure that once you read the width shows the center or 1/2 way point for that particular length. fjimp
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

It depends on what I want the center for. If I need to be real precise I use a compass set to a radius that is larger than the circle. I make two marks on the circle and then move the compass to make two more marks. I connect the first set of marks where they touch the circle and then the second set. Where these lines cross is the exact center of the circle.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
rdewinter
Gold Member

Post by rdewinter »

I wish I would have known how my geometry studies could come in handy some day. It's sad that I forgot (or maybe I didn't study hard enough) so much of my mathematics. Thanks for the great tip Mike.

Bob
San Diego
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

rdewinter wrote:I wish I would have known how my geometry studies could come in handy some day. It's sad that I forgot (or maybe I didn't study hard enough) so much of my mathematics. Thanks for the great tip Mike.

Bob
San Diego

That is so true and I think universally applicable. If only my geometry and algebra teachers had known how to show me that this stuff was going to help me to do something other than graduate.

I refer to a high school math book probably once a week (at least).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

dusty wrote:That is so true and I think universally applicable. If only my geometry and algebra teachers had known how to show me that this stuff was going to help me to do something other than graduate.

I refer to a high school math book probably once a week (at least).
Is that school book on a papyrus scroll or carved in stone? I am not sure what the technology was back in those days :D . (sorry dusty...I just couldn't resist!!)
Mike
Sunny San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote:Is that school book on a papyrus scroll or carved in stone? I am not sure what the technology was back in those days :D . (sorry dusty...I just couldn't resist!!)

Maybe mike should run over to Bob's place and tutor him(refresh his math memories)!:p

BTW This older than Dusty person does NOT recall any of those ancient objects in HIS school days except in books of a historical bent. We didn't use wax tablets and stylus either!:rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange