Finding the center of a circle

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG40504 wrote:Maybe mike should run over to Bob's place and tutor him(refresh his math memories)!:p

BTW This older than Dusty person does NOT recall any of those ancient objects in HIS school days except in books of a historical bent. We didn't use wax tablets and stylus either!:rolleyes:

But some of my teachers did.

Back on track. Thanks ED (oh, it was Mickyd not ED). That is a pretty handy trick. It might be a way to prove that the Shopsmith was properly aligned at 45 and 90 degrees. Just make a right triangle cutoff.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
curiousgeorge
Platinum Member

Post by curiousgeorge »

Not saying my age, but my Texas History teacher in high school literally wrote the text book we used and he remembered, as a child, seeing Indians ride through the ranch he grew up on. That just don't happen any more.(Much) :rolleyes: :D
George
Ft. Worth, TX.
Go TCU Froggies
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

curiousgeorge wrote:Not saying my age, but my Texas History teacher in high school literally wrote the text book we used and he remembered, as a child, seeing Indians ride through the ranch he grew up on. That just don't happen any more.(Much) :rolleyes: :D
Unless you live NEXT to the reservation!:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

This older person can no longer claim the oldest on the Forum, so - -- this second oldest person on the forum, in his later years, discovered the ancient Egyptians discovered and used geometry and trigonometry prior to the discovery and use of algebra (by the Greeks I think). You know - a triangle 3 units on one side, 4 units on the other and 5 on the longest side makes a right angle that is opposite the long side - helped build the pryamids.

This was enlightening to me as although geometery was a snap - I had to take and understand trig, prior to my understanding of algebra. I wish the school systems in the U.S. taught math in the order of it's coming into being. Would have made it easier for many of us. Even "learning" rather than memorizing arithmetic.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

dusty wrote:But some of my teachers did.

Back on track. Thanks ED. That is a pretty handy trick. It might be a way to prove that the Shopsmith was properly aligned at 45 and 90 degrees. Just make a right triangle cutoff.
dusty - Can you explain your alignment thought more? I can't picture it.
Also, you mention ED??? ED's not here.:confused:

I think this thread is approaching potpourri but as the starter of it, I don't care.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

charlese wrote:This older person can no longer claim the oldest on the Forum,........
You know - a triangle 3 units on one side, 4 units on the other and 5 on the longest side makes a right angle that is opposite the long side - helped build the pryamids.
3,4,5 rule = Pathagorean theorem (spelling varies depending on ????) It's the foundation of trig.

Pathagorus was an Greek mathematician / philosopher in ancient Greece.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote:dusty - Can you explain your alignment thought more? I can't picture it.

I think this thread is approaching potpourri but as the starter of it, I don't care.
Ditto re alignment!:confused:

Maybe 'ED' sent him a PM!;)

BTW The 345 triangle is but one (very good whole integer number) example pf pythagoras's Theorem. He stated that the sum of the squares of the two sides adjacent to the right angle are equal to the square of the side opposite the right angle. i.e. 3² + 4² = 5² 9 + 16 = 25
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

[quote="JPG40504"]Ditto re alignment!:confused:

Maybe 'ED' sent him a PM!]
How'd you get the squared figure to show up raised (forgot what they call a number that has the appearance of being raised to a power.....it's "something" script I think)? Is it a keyboard shortcut? (similar to pressing ALT 248 to get the degree symbol °?)
Mike
Sunny San Diego
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

mickyd wrote:dusty - Can you explain your alignment thought more? I can't picture it.

Micky - you are putting me on.

Make a triangle (right triangle) from a piece of wood and use it because you don't have reible's plastic triangle.

But, maybe we should get bust making serious sawdust. That would be novel.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote:How'd you get the squared figure to show up raised (forgot what they call a number that has the appearance of being raised to a power.....it's "something" script I think)? Is it a keyboard shortcut? (similar to pressing ALT 248 to get the degree symbol °?)
In \Windows\System32 folder you will find 'charmap.exe'. Copy it to the desktop. When you click on it it brings up a table of ALL characters in the font currently in use. If you click on an entry in the table(character) AND then click on 'select', it places a copy in a temporary area(more than one character may be so copied to the temporary area). You can then click on 'copy' which will place all those characters in the 'temporary area' in the clipboard.

When editing a post, you then paste the characters from the clipboard.

Now that IS more trouble than doing an ALTxxx, but it reveals ALL the characters in the font being used. This includes the extended character set(those ABOVE 256) which are NOT accessible using the 'ALT xxx' method.

One other 'detail' This MAY be a feature of 'power toys for windows' and NOT contained within a vanilla windows program set. If you cannot find it in \windows\system32, holler!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝