How do you remove 12" adhesive sanding sheets?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

[quote="dusty"]I put mine out in the hot sun for a couple hours. Handle with care (with gloves), they get really hot. This seems to soften the adhesive and the disks come right off. There will likely be some adhesive left behind. Clean real good with mineral spirits before attaching the next disk.

I keep multiple sanding disks so as to minimize the number of times I have to remove a disk.

The heat of an oven will work too]
Some of us are not lucky enough to have it warm enough right now to put in the sun. If I put in the sun now it would be colder then when it was inside.:D :D
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

nomoman wrote:This might of been mention before. (But my searching skills are also bad). What is better: adhisve disk or velcro? I know velcro will probally be better for changing disk. But how long does the actual pad (with the grit) hold up?

I believe the velcro sanding disks last as long as the adhesive backed. Just DO NOT use the velcro system for working on metal (even sharpening). The heat destroys the velcro. TRUST ME.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:I believe the velcro sanding disks last as long as the adhesive backed. Just DO NOT use the velcro system for working on metal (even sharpening). The heat destroys the velcro. TRUST ME.
Do we really need to see this Twice?:D

The velcro is also Not dimensionally 'firm' enough either for 'grinding'. I am still in hung jury mode re its being stable enough for 'fine' finish sanding.

I am leaning toward the multiple disk method.(I have collected a few since getting the velcro).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

[quote="dusty"]I put mine out in the hot sun for a couple hours. Handle with care (with gloves), they get really hot. ...

The heat of an oven will work too]

Hereabouts we use a somewhat similar technique that works any place in the house.
It's called "room temperature".
Mark V 520, Power-Pro!; Speed Reducer; B/S; Jointer; ShopMate DCS; SS Tenon Master; Rip-Strate; Incra; BCTW; DW734; var. SS sanding systems; Wood River;
kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Post by kalynzoo »

I purchased the velcro system with a range of grits well over a year ago. I this disc regularly for sanding and rounding edges. I have yet to discard a sanding pad. I do freshen the pads regularly with a stick cleaner.
Gary Kalyn
Kalynzoo Productions
Woodworking
Porter Ranch/Northridge
Los Angeles, CA