Restoration Progress On My 1952 ER10

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

What color to paint my ER10? (post #216)

Poll ended at Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:35 pm

Other (post you answer)
50%
Other (post you answer)
36%
Other (post you answer)
14%

Total votes: 36

mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

[quote="Len"]I was going to chide you about the wood base and material and finish you were to put on it, but I need not! Nice photo and glorious when it comes to Photoshop]
Here'sthe wood base that came with it. Not sure if it's yellow pine, hemlock, spruce, or what. They look much nicer now that they are striped, planed, sanded but you'll have to wait to see. The one piece in the photo above isn't original.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

The burgundy looks nice, but there's just too much of it for my tastes. Is there a secondary complementing or contrasting color you could paint some of the parts?
bucksaw
Gold Member

Post by bucksaw »

mickyd wrote:You know that I have been struggling with my final paint color decision. I am going to throw out this final view of what the ER will look like painted Rustoleum burgundy. I used a beautifully restored ER done my the guy that heads up the ER yahoo group and colorized it to show what mine would look like.

[ATTACH]6386[/ATTACH]..[ATTACH]6388[/ATTACH]
So should I go with the stock gray color or burgundy?
I'd go with Grey
Dave - Idaho
Greenie S#261612 - Mar 1954 / Greenie S#305336 - Oct 1955 / Gray S#SS1360 - ?

"Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?" :cool:
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I vote for a color I remember the model 10's having 50 yrs ago. More of a dark blue than a gray. This is close████, but darker.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

heathicus wrote:The burgundy looks nice, but there's just too much of it for my tastes. Is there a secondary complementing or contrasting color you could paint some of the parts?
I've been racking my brain Heath to come up with some accent colors somewhere but since I am color design challenged, I am having no luck. I am open however to anything. Since nameplate will be brass and knobs / levers will be gold, I thought black or cream but then I struggle deciding what to paint. I'm still playing in Paint Shop Pro with some accent colors just to see how it looks. I have to see it vs. conceptualize. Any suggestions, anyone, lay it on!!!!
Mike
Sunny San Diego
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

JPG40504 wrote:I vote for a color I remember the model 10's having 50 yrs ago. More of a dark blue than a gray. This is close&#9608], but darker.

I've seen a couple of OEM parts with original paint and they were very close to the ER shown in post 216.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote:I've seen a couple of OEM parts with original paint and they were very close to the ER shown in post 216.
Well it has been 50 years since I recollect seeing the 'one' I was acquainted with. Paint does fade/oxidize. ????? Memory fades also?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

JPG40504 wrote:Well it has been 50 years since I recollect seeing the 'one' I was acquainted with. Paint does fade/oxidize. ????? Memory fades also?

I think you recollection is still okay. The machine pictured and referenced by mickyd was painted with Rustoleum Hammered Gray. It is a different color than the original 10E/ER. The yahoo 10er user group has a reference for a couple of custom mixes intended to more closely match the original color. Those can be found here: http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/IB7vSud3yN ... -color.htm
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

SDSSmith wrote:
I think you recollection is still okay. The machine pictured and referenced by mickyd was painted with Rustoleum Hammered Gray. It is a different color than the original 10E/ER. The yahoo 10er user group has a reference for a couple of custom mixes intended to more closely match the original color. Those can be found here: http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/8PPuStfvLD_9VJRfcKqXN4Lfax3oP3n5TMRXh3cAq8T6xrSwr-Sh4U6MfvFML-LLFpf2gL-0dVghS3XVmnu6ocwkczSJ7BE/er-belts-bearings-color.htm
Your right about the hammered gray. The guy that restored it mentions that on his site, MKC Tools(Skip Campbell, 10ERusers group founder). Looking at the motor on that unit, that appears closer to the original color???? and the one JPG describes. Would you agree?
[ATTACH]6402[/ATTACH]
Now I have to go edit all my posts that incorrectly referred to it as "OEM gray". Don't want to mislead future generations!!:o
Attachments
motor.jpg
motor.jpg (48.17 KiB) Viewed 2557 times
Mike
Sunny San Diego
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

Could you check the link please?

I get
Document Not Found

I remember finding that color information before but it is the the folder I made up for my brother when I gave him the machine. (Should have made a copy for myself).

Ed

SDSSmith wrote:
I think you recollection is still okay. The machine pictured and referenced by mickyd was painted with Rustoleum Hammered Gray. It is a different color than the original 10E/ER. The yahoo 10er user group has a reference for a couple of custom mixes intended to more closely match the original color. Those can be found here: http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/8PPuStfvLD_9VJRfcKqXN4Lfax3oP3n5TMRXh3cAq8T6xrSwr-Sh4U6MfvFML-LLFpf2gL-0dVghS3XVmnu6ocwkczSJ7BE/er-belts-bearings-color.htm
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]