Split ends

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

etwoodmiser
Bronze Member

Split ends

Post by etwoodmiser »

I have a 1 1/2" X 18" X 30" Ash board that I wish to use as a table top. It has a slight split in one end about 4" long. What is the best way to repair this,since I don't want to cut off this section? I thought of using a butterfly patch across the split.
golfgloeckner
Bronze Member

Butterfly Patch

Post by golfgloeckner »

Butterfly Patches can be striking, but so near the end of a small table might look unbalanced. You might consider two additional "dummy" patches-one at the other end, and one in the center.

A simpler fix might be to rip the board at the split and rejoin the wood. If the split is narrow enough, the grain mismatch, even in ash, would not be noticeable.
etwoodmiser
Bronze Member

Split ends

Post by etwoodmiser »

The split is the width of a thin saw kerf. I will consider your ideas.
Thanks golfgloeckner.
dickroan
Silver Member

4" split repair

Post by dickroan »

I believe I would just get a slice of matching wood in that split, some Titebond III , put on a good clamp on it, scrape off the glue and sand it smooth.....I don't think you'll even see where the split was......dick
Bill-Co
Bronze Member

split repair

Post by Bill-Co »

I would rip the top like was mentioned and rejoin the two pieces using biscuits. Good luck. Bill
baredogsrhodus
Bronze Member

Post by baredogsrhodus »

I have used the proceedure that dickroan mentioned with excellent results on oak and walnut.
etwoodmiser
Bronze Member

Split repair

Post by etwoodmiser »

All great suggestions. I believe that I will try the Titebond III firtst since the split is actually less than a thin saw kerf.. I can rip it then glue back together if the Titebond III doesen't hold.
Thanks for all the help.
zednine
Bronze Member

Post by zednine »

Consider, in addition to ripping the piece, inserting a strip of contrasting wood, and turning the split into an oppottunity to make a nicely accented top.
woodburner
Gold Member

Post by woodburner »

Hi All,

I have made a decorative solution to such a problem. Depending on the size of the table, I select some round bar and cut it large enough to create what I call a decorative staple. You first measure how long of a staple you want showing, and then add to that the length of the pointed bends ( make sure the bends are not longer than the thickness of the wood), then I cut the round bar, sharpen the ends on a grinder, then I place the bar in a cast iron vise and use a propane torch to heat the bar so I can easily bend the bar at where you want the bends to be. After cooling, I place the staple where I want it, mark the spots where the bends will enter the wood and drill holes a little smaller the the staple is. I then place some wood glue in the holes and then gently tap the staple in place using a rawhide mallet. I know it sounds like a lot of work, but this method is actually easier than routing or chiselling out a place for a butterfly. It really gives a table top a rustic look and that you or someone else has taken the time to keep the table from splitting in half. It gives a table an antique look also.
This is just a different decorative way of preventing a split from getting longer.
If you use this method, an odd number (3, 5, 7, ect.) of small staples look best, instead of one large staple.
Just thought I would pass along what i like to do in this situation.
Sawdust & Shavings,
Woodburner:D
jcraigie
Platinum Member

Post by jcraigie »

Go away spammer :mad:
1984 Mark V 500 and an early 1954 greenie. jointer, belt sander, bandsaw, jigsaw, planner.

Jeff