New member_longtime lurker

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

juneaudave
Silver Member

New member_longtime lurker

Post by juneaudave »

I just wanted to introduce myself and say thank you. I've visited the board off and on for awhile, and have owned my SS for about 8 years. You have been a big help in maintaining my machine, and I have quietly picked up alot of tips. Here is the stripper teardrop trailer I finished this year. Of course, it's SS built with care...Cheers!!!

a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Wow, Dave! That is fantastic! Tell us some of the things that you did to accomplish this feat.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
juneaudave
Silver Member

Post by juneaudave »

Thank you...I'm not sure there is alot to tell though. I had built several cedar strip canoes as winter projects and got interested in building a teardrop trailer. So I joined another bulletin board devoted to Teardrops and Tiny Travel Trailers. That's a really good site for trailer designs and ideas.

The trailer itself is wood strip western red cedar, alaska yellow cedar and purple heart with steam bent ash trim. The strips were ripped on the table saw, and planned to 1/4 inch on the SS. The cabinets are ash and cherry with hand caning...of course, all built on the SS. The whole trailer is fiberglassed and sprayed with Dupont Chromaclear auto clear for UV protection.

I don't really have a shop, so the trailer and tools occupied a large part of the garage. That's one really nioce thing for me about the SS. On a project this size, I tried to do the majority of the ripping and planning of the strips outside in the summer to keep the dust down. It took about three winters to complete as a hobby...Dave
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

juneaudave wrote:... with steam bent ash trim...
I think you did a great job, Dave. I am especially interested in the steam process and how you got all the pieces the same. If I spent time on that site that you provided, I wood probably find out, but...I wood rather hear it from you.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
nomoman
Gold Member

Post by nomoman »

That is great. An welcome to the forum.. Did you build it from scratch or is there a skin underneath?
I see said the blindman, to his deaf wife, as he picked up his hammer and saw.
Shopsmith Mark V. DC3300
Jared
rkh2
Platinum Member

Post by rkh2 »

Wow!!! What a project!! Welcome to the forum and glad to hear that you have learned a bunch from it. Looks like we will be able to learn a bunch from you as well. The joy of a Shopsmith is the fact that you can just work out of your garage and when you are not using the machine it doesn't take up all the space that several stand alone tools would. Again, great looking trailer.
Ron from Lewisburg, TN
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

Fantastic!

Do you have any photos of the interior?

Art
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

I'll be redundant again........WOW!...............Welcome to our growing Shopsmith "family". Keep coming back.

A cedar strip canoe is one of those projects I'd like to do.......someday.
dlbristol
Platinum Member

Post by dlbristol »

With that kind of work, why would you lurk!! Nice and welcome.
Saw dust heals many wounds. RLTW
Dave
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

I look around at Teardrops and Tiny Travel Trailers, and did not see anything like yours. I will have to say WOW like the rest. Welcome to the forum.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless