Potpourri starting Jan 10, 2010

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wlhayesmfs
Platinum Member

Post by wlhayesmfs »

Been a long time since I saw a drill like that. My Dad still has one in the Basement and wanted to know if I wanted it. We used it to drill railroad ties and got it when he worked on the Kansas City Terminal RR and it only turned one direction but would hold a 1" drill bit. If the bit caught in the tie you better hoped two of you were holding on to it. And it only drilled clock wise or in and did not have a reverse switch on it.
I bet he could not stop that ER run by this motor.
:eek:
Bill :)
Broken Arrow OK
MKV, 510, MKVll, 50th Anniversary 520 with Jointech saw train, Bandsaw, scroll saw, joiner, 6" Sander,Stand Alone Pin Router and Router Table, Strip Sander, Jigsaw & (4) ER's plus Jigsaw for ER. DC SS RAS
cocacola1012
Gold Member

Post by cocacola1012 »

My son came home from middle school the other day with mouse trap car and big clothes pin he made in woodshop. Anyone else remember making them? When I was in school we made recipe card holders out of clothes pins on a block of wood. Also I think napkin holders. I guess some high schools are making bookcases and andarondik (spelling) chairs.
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

Did you know that using Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer on clean metal is not recommended?? :eek: :eek: :eek:

from Rustoleum.com FAQin the surface section...

Q: Can I use Rusty Metal Primer on clean metal?
A: No. The fish oil that is in the primer needs to penetrate into rust to seal out air and moisture. If there is no rust, the oil will rise to the surface making adhesion of the finish coat difficult.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
nomoman
Gold Member

Post by nomoman »

Why doesn't anybody give away thier Woodworking Magazines?? I work Security at a hospital. Whenever I walk through the waiting rooms I see: Family Circle, Forbes, Rifleman, Readers Digest. But I never see: Woodsmith, Fine Woodworking, Wood, American Woodwork, etc. I wood like to see more magazines on the topic of woodworking...:D
I see said the blindman, to his deaf wife, as he picked up his hammer and saw.
Shopsmith Mark V. DC3300
Jared
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

Speaking of woodworking magazines, I've been slowly reading through the stack of magazines I got with my Mark V. They are all from the early to mid 80's. A few are even late 70's. Mostly Workbench and Wood Magazine (also some Hands On and an issue of Fine Woodworking). It may be a reflection of the economy at the time, but so many of the advertisements take the "make extra money" or "start your own business" angle. Be your own boss sharpening saw blades! Use our planer to make money providing planed lumber to cabinet shops! Enter the exciting and lucrative field of locksmithing or small engine repair!
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

heathicus wrote:Speaking of woodworking magazines, I've been slowly reading through the stack of magazines I got with my Mark V. They are all from the early to mid 80's. A few are even late 70's. Mostly Workbench and Wood Magazine (also some Hands On and an issue of Fine Woodworking). It may be a reflection of the economy at the time, but so many of the advertisements take the "make extra money" or "start your own business" angle. Be your own boss sharpening saw blades! Use our planer to make money providing planed lumber to cabinet shops! Enter the exciting and lucrative field of locksmithing or small engine repair!

Don't discard those because they are old. There is a lot of very interesting reading and a few projects that might be fun. You'll also find a lot of good tips on how they did quality wood work before dial indicators and digital calipers.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

dusty wrote:Don't discard those because they are old. There is a lot of very interesting reading and a few projects that might be fun. You'll also find a lot of good tips on how they did quality wood work before dial indicators and digital calipers.
Believe me, I'm enjoying them very much!
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

nomoman wrote:Why doesn't anybody give away thier Woodworking Magazines?? I work Security at a hospital. Whenever I walk through the waiting rooms I see: Family Circle, Forbes, Rifleman, Readers Digest. But I never see: Woodsmith, Fine Woodworking, Wood, American Woodwork, etc. I wood like to see more magazines on the topic of woodworking...:D

You 'shop' for magazines in waiting rooms(while working)?:confused:

Sounds like the fox guarding the hen house!:D;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

[quote="JPG40504"]You 'shop' for magazines in waiting rooms(while working)?:confused:

Sounds like the fox guarding the hen house!:D]
Hey, being a security gaurd can be a tough, boring job. You need to do something to pass the time. It ain't like your constantly on sniper watch ya know!! :D They pay you just for you presence and nosing around, at least they did me.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

It generally isn't a good idea to run a device that will get a lot of hours with a drill but I did it a few times in my early days. None of those drills are still alive...
I was though sitting here having loose wild thoughts about cheap cordless drills. You can buy pretty decent cheapie ones (for limited use) on sale for about $10 I bought one 2 years ago for a Xmas grab bag gift and a BIL says that he still uses it regularly in his wood shop.
Now, the thought is not about drilling holes or driving screws. It struck me that a cheap cordless drill (or two) might be a cool low cost way to operate a little winch (or two) to raise and lower a headstock (or table) in drill press mode.
Has anybody tried that?
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill