my shop

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jdramsey
Gold Member

Post by jdramsey »

Bob,,

Nice toybox. Wish I had that much room to play with.
2manband
Gold Member

Post by 2manband »

Ed in Tampa wrote:I have a question. I work in a double car garage 22x22 with assorted non shop things (Lawn tractor, lawn and garden tools, edger, freezer, cabinet full of planting supplies, can food shelf, painting supplies and such) so my effective area is probably 20x20

I was wondering how it would be to work in half that space as I would like my dedicated shop and I was eye balling a 20x12 shed.

Tell me you that own shops about this size should I even consider a shed this size. Or should I go a little smaller 8x10 and move the non shop items out of my garage? This would effectively make my shop size larger and allow me to have 22x12 unobstrucked room when I pull my truck out and full 22x22 with both vehicles out.

Wife votes for the smaller shed, saying having the shop in the garage is a good thing. I vote for a larger shed and moving my shop out of the garage.
I'm contemplating this same scenario. I'll be interested to see what everybody's opinion is on it.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Ed in Tampa wrote:I have a question. I work in a double car garage 22x22 with assorted non shop things (Lawn tractor, lawn and garden tools, edger, freezer, cabinet full of planting supplies, can food shelf, painting supplies and such) so my effective area is probably 20x20

I was wondering how it would be to work in half that space as I would like my dedicated shop and I was eye balling a 20x12 shed.

Tell me you that own shops about this size should I even consider a shed this size. Or should I go a little smaller 8x10 and move the non shop items out of my garage? This would effectively make my shop size larger and allow me to have 22x12 unobstrucked room when I pull my truck out and full 22x22 with both vehicles out.

Wife votes for the smaller shed, saying having the shop in the garage is a good thing. I vote for a larger shed and moving my shop out of the garage.
Hi Ed,
You wood knot have to wire the "storage shed" but you wood have to wire a "new shop". If money is no object, go for the shop, it is always nice knot to have to move things (cars) out of your way to work.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

I wonder how many of us have viewed the picture of bob3w1953. Truly it is worth clicking on. I haven't seen a hat like that one in many many many years. Bob is that a hold over from your youth?
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
mbcabinetmaker
Platinum Member

Post by mbcabinetmaker »

a1gutterman wrote:Hi Ed,
You wood knot have to wire the "storage shed" but you wood have to wire a "new shop". If money is no object, go for the shop, it is always nice knot to have to move things (cars) out of your way to work.

Money is no object with me. I don't object to it at all!!:D :D [ Justin Wilson ]

Mark

2017 Power Pro Mark 7
2002 50th anniversary model 520
and a few other woodworking tools.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Ed in Tampa wrote:... I would like my dedicated shop and I was eye balling a 20x12 shed.

Tell me you that own shops about this size should I even consider a shed this size. Or should I go a little smaller 8x10 and move the non shop items out of my garage? This would effectively make my shop size larger and allow me to have 22x12 unobstructed room when I pull my truck out and full 22x22 with both vehicles out.

My shop is a stand alone that is 16X20 outside measurements. Of course the inside is 4" smaller on all sides. I have OSB interior walls (I think 1/3" or 5/8") OSB is very hard and will hold any cabinetry.

Wanting more wall space I only have one window (2.5 wide and 1 ft high) It is a window that normally goes above a bathtub/shower.

I say all this because I find my shop is very crowded at times. All wall space is taken with cabinets, shelves, benches, wood storage rack, clamps, etc. (even the backside of the doors) The floor space allows room to rotate the Mark V 360º. But when there is a project getting assembles, of finished - there is little space to move around.

I recomend the largest you can do in your property. Or stay in the 22X22 space you have.
[ATTACH]7570[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]7569[/ATTACH]
Attachments
both doors now taken.jpg
both doors now taken.jpg (101.82 KiB) Viewed 1648 times
shop.jpg
shop.jpg (129.65 KiB) Viewed 1655 times
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
cocacola1012
Gold Member

Post by cocacola1012 »

nomoman wrote:I remember seeing a picture of a huge shop on here. It had trapdoors on the floor. Also it had a big wood bench right in the middle. The size looked like you could fit Norm's shop in there and still have room. Does anyone remember that?
nomoman I think this is what you remember: http://www.joekrasphotography.com/archi ... 20Shop.jpg
bobw1953
Gold Member

Post by bobw1953 »

dusty wrote:Perfect get away. When you open the doors are you looking directly at the Mark V?

I really like the way you utilize the wall space up high on that one end.

I would be considering a sky light to bring in more natural light for those gray days when you have to keep the doors closed (unless, of course, you don't have those in Kansas).
Thanks Paul, yes most of the time the SS is the first thing you see. The photos were taken the day i moved into this shop some 4 years ago now and many of my tools were not in there yet. As usual I have more "stuff" than I should but I cant help myself sometimes!
bobw1953
Gold Member

MY Propeller hat

Post by bobw1953 »

fjimp wrote:I wonder how many of us have viewed the picture of bob3w1953. Truly it is worth clicking on. I haven't seen a hat like that one in many many many years. Bob is that a hold over from your youth?
NO All really good pointy headed engineers wear that hat! We are given it in a super secrete ceremony at graduation! I wear my propeller hat proudly! (it embarrasses my wife and family!)

Bob
efmaron
Gold Member

Post by efmaron »

Ed in Tampa,
I have a 14'x30' shed for my shop. I ran a 50amp service to it, the SS has it's own line of #10 wire and a 20amp breaker. Since we live about 100 miles apart you will have the same heat problem I have, the walls and ceiling is insulated and then put peg board on the walls all the way around. Cut a hole in the wall for a 10,000btu window AC unit. You will need the AC unite in the summer. Put my air compressor out side in a vented enclosure. My shop would be big enough if I did't try to save every thing.
Eric, Sebring Fl.