Weight of a Mark V system ?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bucksaw
Gold Member

Post by bucksaw »

Without breaking down the shopsmith (taking the legs off at a min) it would stand too tall to lay down or stand up in most mini-vans. The SS is about 6 feet log so you would probably need to remove the back seat also. The worktable and extensions can be removed quickly. So you only need to be concerned with the headstock clearing.
Dave - Idaho
Greenie S#261612 - Mar 1954 / Greenie S#305336 - Oct 1955 / Gray S#SS1360 - ?

"Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?" :cool:
shipwright
Platinum Member

Post by shipwright »

Welcome to the forum. Always good to see another Canadian.

Paul M
Paul M ........ The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

As a driver of a mini van and a shopsmith owner, I fully agree with what beeg (Bob) said in post #4. (Assuming you don't have to wheel it through gravel or cow pies like farmer ran in to.)

The only tools you would need to remove the legs are a flat blade screwdriver and a pair of pliers.

The other special purpose tools should also fit in to the mini van with no problem.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
rdubbs
Gold Member

Post by rdubbs »

Hi,

I'm not a Honda owner, but when I bought my original Shopsmith setup I picked up the whole kit in Dayton and fit it all inside my Plymouth Voyager (minus both rear seats). I've since moved it in a Dodge Grand Caravan without removing the legs, and I moved quite a bit of accessory equipment at the same time.
Rick Dubbs
2004 520 w/bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC 3300, Universal Lathe Tool Rest, Talon chuck, & Lathe Duplicator
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

Last year I gave a Shopsmith 510 with bandsaw, jointer, and several large boxes of accessories to my nephew. It was loaded into the back of a Chevy Blazer and he drove about 1800 miles back to Denver without any problems.

With the legs removed, which only involves ten 1/4" screws & nuts, the basic machine is about 61" long, a length that many vehicles can accommodate.

As for changeovers on the Shopsmith. Don't be misled by those who have never done a changeover on a Shopsmith. You can change from one mode to another easily in two minutes, sipping coffee in the process.

I've never understood how the "stand alone machine" guys can criticize the Shopsmith for its change-overs, while their considerable time and effort expended to move heavy machines around on mobile bases is somehow OK.
NuggyBuggy
Bronze Member

Post by NuggyBuggy »

Everyone, I'm sorry for asking about prices, I didn't realize this was against forum rules (I might have missed it when I agreed to the terms that I usually pass over too quickly).

It sounds like the consensus is the SS (with some breakdown) will fit in the minivan I have access to, which is great as it solves some logistical and financial issues related to renting and driving a truck a long way. Thanks everyone.

The only outstanding issue regards the work table, and I have asked the vendor for a further description and/or photos. From the dimensions, I don't think that's going inside a van unless it also breaks down.

8iowa, thanks for the comment about changeovers. I know in my tiny, messy, cluttered work space I'm spending a lot of time jockeying stuff around and tiptoeing around stuff that is setup already. Granted my space is a mess, but still... Then I'm disconnecting/reconnecting power cords, moving the last tool away, etc. The changeovers is not something I am too worried about, especially as I am so new as to be unable to work quickly, but the prospect of saving space is something I am very excited about.
NuggyBuggy
Bronze Member

Post by NuggyBuggy »

Another question, would a single person of average ;) stature and strength be able to move the individual components of a broken-down SS in or out of a van fairly easily ? I'm guessing the head stock is the heaviest part - how much would that likely weigh ?

The seller has offered to help me load, but I need to know whether I'd need to recruit help unloading, which is especially inconvenient as I plan to do this during a weekday, and I expect the round trip to be about 10 hours long.
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

I think if you follow the procedure mentioned previously (move the headstock all the way to one end, roll the opposite end up to the van, remove the legs and set that end in the van, push the whole thing into the van as far as you can and move the headstock to the end that is now in the van, remove the other leg and push the rest of the way in) one person could probably handle it. If the current owner has offered help, it should be no problem at all.

I bought my Mark 5 from an elderly gentleman with bad knees. I did most of the loading myself. He helped as much as he could and we didn't have any problems. I unloaded it completely by myself and still had no problems.

I don't recall what type of mini-van you have, but if you can remove the seats, or if they will lay down flat, I don't think you'd have any problem getting the work table in as well.
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Your minimum garage space is what the ss was intended for.

The minimal disassembly recommended will acquaint you with how it goes together and minimize the amount of effort needed.

Hopefully the 'work' table can be broken down. If forced to abandon anything, the work table is it! Farmers breakdown will give you the most room left for the work table.

Good Luck! and Bon Voyage!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

Post by wannabewoodworker »

I have a Mark VII so I cannot comment on the Mark V but my machine only had set screws to remove to take the whole shootin match apart. I would recommend you just pull the thing apart into it's component parts and put them into the minivan. I would guess that everything minus the cabinet would fit inside the van no problem. As for the weight no biggie once it is broken down into components.
Michael Mayo
Senior IT Support Engineer
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
1960's SS Mark VII, 1954 Greenie, 1983 Mark V, Jointer, Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Dewalt Slider, Delta Super 10, Delta 8" Grinder, Craftsman compressor, Drill Doctor, Kreg PH Jig, Bosch Jigsaw, Craftsman Router and Table...........and adding more all the time....:D