Basic Cabinetry

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

PG-Zac
Gold Member

Basic Cabinetry

Post by PG-Zac »

Hi all,

I need to make some floor standing cabinets for my workshop, but I have never does floor standing ones before. I know how to do wall hung, but I need some pointers on the floor jobs.

Could anyone here direct me to a decent "how-to" DIY type website?

Cheers
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

PG-Zac wrote:Hi all,

I need to make some floor standing cabinets for my workshop, but I have never does floor standing ones before. I know how to do wall hung, but I need some pointers on the floor jobs.

Could anyone here direct me to a decent "how-to" DIY type website?

Cheers
Check out this Sawdust Session and the information on the blackboard. You may find some of what you need for your cabinets]standard cabinet dimensions[/URL].
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
PG-Zac
Gold Member

Post by PG-Zac »

Thanks Dusty

The video didn't help much, as I have made drawers & cabinet doors in the past, but never the main floor mounted cabinet.

My main knowledge gap is the area under the bottom shelf behind the toe space & kick-flat. It is important to note that the floor is neither flat nor level.

The file with the standard dimensions is very useful, Thanks.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

PG-Zac wrote:Thanks Dusty

The video didn't help much, as I have made drawers & cabinet doors in the past, but never the main floor mounted cabinet.

My main knowledge gap is the area under the bottom shelf behind the toe space & kick-flat. It is important to note that the floor is neither flat nor level.

Unless you occupy that space with plumbing or electrical raceways, I believe it is destined to be just dead space.

As for flat and level floors .... I didn't know that those existed. That is why the big box stores all sell shims.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
rdubbs
Gold Member

Post by rdubbs »

Hi,

I've not yet made base cabinets either, but I plan to use the European style of making a box supported by legs. The legs adjust to compensate for uneven floors. Here's a link to the legs offered by Woodcraft: http://www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/ProductPage.aspx?prodid=23367
Rick Dubbs
2004 520 w/bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC 3300, Universal Lathe Tool Rest, Talon chuck, & Lathe Duplicator
bucksaw
Gold Member

Post by bucksaw »

PG-Zac wrote:Thanks Dusty

I would make a toe-kick area sub-base (plywood or 2x4 construction) that the cabinets sit on. You can easily level the sub frame and then just make flat bottom boxes to sit on the sub frame. This is a pretty common method for cabinets that will sit on un-even surfaces.
Dave - Idaho
Greenie S#261612 - Mar 1954 / Greenie S#305336 - Oct 1955 / Gray S#SS1360 - ?

"Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?" :cool:
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

Here are a set of plans for making a variety of kitchen base cabinets which probably can be adapted to your needs or give you some additional ideas on how to proceed:

http://www.workbenchmagazine.com/main/p ... binets.pdf
Art in Western Pennsylvania
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Hi, PG! Art (pennview) has given you excellent plans. Only one thing I would like to add - If you choose to cut a notch in the side panels for the foot kick instead of having straight sides -- Remember to cut those panels so they are a mirror image to each other. (A right and a left side)
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
PG-Zac
Gold Member

Post by PG-Zac »

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I have enough info now to dive into this project.