Finish For Redwood?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jonesuh
Gold Member

Finish For Redwood?

Post by jonesuh »

i made a planting bench for my wife--it will be outside in a shaded area (Houston Texas)--it's made with clear redwood---what recommendations do you have for a finish--it will be subject to abuse--dirt -water-etc.--Do i use linseed oil or some other type of oil---i like the color when redwood turns gray & i don't want to have to reseal every year if possible
thanks you guys are a great source for a very novice woodworker
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Leave it natural?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
jonesuh
Gold Member

finish

Post by jonesuh »

i would love to leave it natural---is there any reason to put anything on redwood--- other than looks
baysidebob
Gold Member

Post by baysidebob »

Coming to you from the heart of Redwood Country, natural is the best way to go. It will go to a gray color but without any finish on it the wood will experience no harm. If you put a finish on, then you will need to keep it up on a somewhat regular basis. Natural is great......
I keep finding little windows on this forum, that I don't really know what they do. So sometimes I experiment. Probably shouldn't do that, I know in my shop it can get me into trouble.
Bayside Bob
tkhudson
Gold Member

Post by tkhudson »

I'd be wary of checking on Redwood and some of the flat grain second growth will peel up on your after a few years. Check around and see what is the local miracle formula for decking and use that.
------------------------
Gold Member

Post by ------------------------ »

Be careful if you use a linseed based product, as most require the UV rays from direct sunlight to cure. If your project doesnt get sun, the finish will be a sticky mess!!! If you are liking the grey color, I would let it age and get grey and then try some Thompson's water seal. It will give protection, without changing the color too much.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Redwood left untreated grays and may have some end grain vanish, but holds up quite well.

As an example by brother got some dock sections, as in docks that stick out in to the water, that were still in good condition but the guy who bought the house on the lake wanted to go to some plastic material.... thus about 20 sections of 4'x4' needed to be hauled away. He got the job and got paid to take it away.... he then stacked it up in the back to do something with. After about 5 years he had still not come up with a project so gave me a few to take home with me... he offered half but I could only fit a half dozen or so in my already half packed van. That was 5 years ago.

Mine I kept in tack and use them as walk on areas, his he cut up and made various things from. Once you planned off about 1/16" the color came back and while some need a bit more removed to look pretty again I was amazed at what the underneath wood looked like.

I have no idea how long it was a dock, would have to guess for a while. I also don't know if they stored it indoors in the winter or just piled on the shore exposed to northern WI winters.... It was clearly not finished with anything at the end nor for the last 10 years.

If you want I can shoot a picture of one, they have just in the last week or so came unfrozen from the ground.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
jonesuh
Gold Member

Redwood left untreated

Post by jonesuh »

thanks a bunch----i'm going to leave it untreated---that's what i wanted to do & it sounds like it should hold up for my life time