Help with unrecognized parts

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

avincenty
Bronze Member

Help with unrecognized parts

Post by avincenty »

I just purchased an old Mark V system (from 1954), the previous owner gave me a bunch of accessories but there are some parts that I don't recognize. I have owned two units before and have never seen these.

Alfredo
Attachments
IMG_0120.JPG
IMG_0120.JPG (121.74 KiB) Viewed 5763 times
IMG_0121.JPG
IMG_0121.JPG (91.28 KiB) Viewed 5758 times
cml
Gold Member

Post by cml »

avincenty wrote:I just purchased an old Mark V system (from 1954), the previous owner gave me a bunch of accessories but there are some parts that I don't recognize. I have owned two units before and have never seen these.

Alfredo

The bigger one looks like a lathe backer. I have no clue what the smaller item is, but I'm curious because i just found one in my box of shopsmith stuff. It looks like some kind of pulley?
Chris in CA
avincenty
Bronze Member

Post by avincenty »

cml wrote:The bigger one looks like a lathe backer. I have no clue what the smaller item is, but I'm curious because i just found one in my box of shopsmith stuff. It looks like some kind of pulley?
The bigger one fits nicely inside the smaller one and it appears it is designed to rotate inside it. I think they go together because the larger one has a cone shape in the back and the smaller one has the receiving inverted cone. The smaller one definitely looks as if it accepts a belt.

If you have one maybe with time it will come to you what its intended use is.

txs
thainglo
Gold Member

Post by thainglo »

One of the parts I look forward to the most when buying a long-forgotten Shopsmith is the bucket/box/crate of parts that comes along with the machine!

On more than one occasion, non-SS parts have been tossed in the container. My favorite so far is an old-tyme toilet flush handle. :D

Can't help you on your setup, but it does look like a pulley contraption. Good luck!
Lost count, over a dozen rebuilt/repaired/restored
Personal equipment: 510 made in 1993, belt sander, jig saw, band saw, planer and jointer

Matt in GA
wlhayesmfs
Platinum Member

Post by wlhayesmfs »

Reminds me of something off of an old washing machine but I am lost also.
Bill :)
Broken Arrow OK
MKV, 510, MKVll, 50th Anniversary 520 with Jointech saw train, Bandsaw, scroll saw, joiner, 6" Sander,Stand Alone Pin Router and Router Table, Strip Sander, Jigsaw & (4) ER's plus Jigsaw for ER. DC SS RAS
avincenty
Bronze Member

Post by avincenty »

The machine came with the original user manual plus a manual for a jointer and a scroll saw. I don't have any of the two. But the manual mentions that in order to attache it to a motor in a single power stand or a homemade wooden stand that you would need a 1 3/4" pulley and Mate with 5" step.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

wlhayesmfs wrote:Reminds me of something off of an old washing machine but I am lost also.
That is what I was thinking! Or an end piece of an electric motor.

I do NOT think they are SS origin.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
shipwright
Platinum Member

Post by shipwright »

avincenty wrote:The bigger one fits nicely inside the smaller one and it appears it is designed to rotate inside it. I think they go together because the larger one has a cone shape in the back and the smaller one has the receiving inverted cone. The smaller one definitely looks as if it accepts a belt.

If you have one maybe with time it will come to you what its intended use is.

txs
Sounds like a clutch of some kind. Just a guess but you've come to the right place. In this thread http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=4889 forum members mainly Ivan (iclark) helped me figure out that strange parts accompanying my 10ER were actually a shop made copy lathe.

Paul M
Paul M ........ The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese