Just Got One!

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

derekdarling
Gold Member

I Just got One!

Post by derekdarling »

Thanks JPG et al. I work as an IT person, so I know about only making one change at a time, then seeing what the results are. Great information from someone who has been down the road before is always appreciated. I'm even thinking that if I'm going to have it apart anyway, a new paint job and shine up the chrome is worth doing at the same time.

I am definitely going to study the videos first, I'm anxious to start making things... always an indicaiotn to slow down!

Thanks again, all. BTW, what's the best way to post pics?
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

derekdarling wrote:Thanks JPG et al. I work as an IT person, so I know about only making one change at a time, then seeing what the results are. Great information from someone who has been down the road before is always appreciated. I'm even thinking that if I'm going to have it apart anyway, a new paint job and shine up the chrome is worth doing at the same time.

I am definitely going to study the videos first, I'm anxious to start making things... always an indicaiotn to slow down!

Thanks again, all. BTW, what's the best way to post pics?
I think this should give you the information you need to post pictures.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dwevans
Gold Member

Post by dwevans »

Derek, I am, I am building my #2 and #3 acoustic guitars with my shopsmith and other tools. There are several others out here as well. With all the members out here, you should have no shortage of advice on how to get your ShopSmith back in shape in no time. Welcome to the forum.
Doug

Shopsmith Mark V model 500 upgraded to a model 520, bandsaw, Belt Sander, Jointer, Dewalt DW735 planer, Sand Flee
derekdarling
Gold Member

Still looking

Post by derekdarling »

Thanks to all for the continuing good advice! I am gathering stuff (paste wax, graphite powder, sewing machine oil, rag wipes, etc.), reading the user manual, and watching the videos. I plan to start in about 2 weeks to actually take apart and rebuild. The colour is what I would call 'battleship grey', and the serial # seems to suggest manufacture sometime in the 60's. I think I'm going to strip the old paint and give it a new coat while I am at it, no sense taking it apart twice!

Derek
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

derekdarling wrote:Thanks to all for the continuing good advice! I am gathering stuff (paste wax, graphite powder, sewing machine oil, rag wipes, etc.), reading the user manual, and watching the videos. I plan to start in about 2 weeks to actually take apart and rebuild. The colour is what I would call 'battleship grey', and the serial # seems to suggest manufacture sometime in the 60's. I think I'm going to strip the old paint and give it a new coat while I am at it, no sense taking it apart twice!

Derek
Some would call it 'machine tool gray'!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
shipwright
Platinum Member

Post by shipwright »

Thanks again, all. BTW, what's the best way to post pics?[/QUOTE]

If you want to post a series of photos (more than a half dozen or so) or don't want to compromise details by reducing, post a web album. Check out Picasa it's easy and it dosen't tie up post space.

paul M
Paul M ........ The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

Paul
See if this will help Adding pictures to a Thread or Post
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
derekdarling
Gold Member

Takedown!

Post by derekdarling »

Thanks to all, esp JPG for his kind words and tips. Getting the parts out was fun. At some time in the past, someone had seated one of the drive shaft bearings with what could only be a hammer and a flathead swrewdriver! Got them out with a 2X2 pine piece as a drift through the quill housing. I'm going to get replacement bearings tomorrow and visit a friend who is a machinist with all the cool tools for removing and reseating bearings. Or I might just strip and paint the headstock first, then do the mechanical put-back.

By the way, I noticed that the speed-change device has been a little chewed up by the worm gear. No broken teeth, but some look a little ragged. Are these hard to come by? Cost? I might get out my Gingery book and cast a replacement; maybe in bronze!

Whcih reminds me, anybody cast new parts for other things? I was thinking of a lead screw to cut threads, and how to attache the part to hold the belt that I would attahce to the wheel on the end of the drive shaft. Oh! And while I'm at it, why not change gears instead!!!

How about an adjustable spur holder on the tailstock to move the tail sideways to create a tapering jig?

Maybe I'll take a few days rest and think about the next step. Cleaning, painting, and refurbishing, it's all about the journey..... BUT I WANNA CUT WOOD NOW!!!
Bye all, happy Easter.

Derek<><
Randy
Gold Member

Post by Randy »

john wrote:Welcome, and as Paul has already said, nice to have another "Canuck" aboard.
Ditto on this!! From an infrequent poster........

As to your start up problem, before you go tearing down your machine. A few checks first.

1) Where was the speed dial pointing?

2) What size beaker are you running on, and what else is on the same line?

3) What is the wire size

4) Are you using an extension cord?
derekdarling
Gold Member

Some movement

Post by derekdarling »

OK, I got the main headstock apart, got the drive assembly out only ti find the source of binding (I believe). At one time, one or both of the drive sleeve bearings was 'eased' into place with what can only be a flat-head and a hammer. I used a pine 2X2 to drift the drive and bearings out of the head only ti find the damage. Still, bearings are fairly inexpensive. I'm goiing to remove the rest of the parts (quill advance) and clean, prime and paint what needs it, and clean the rest twice as hard. Then I'm going to find a local machine shop to replace the bearing and press them in properly (remembering to install the Gilmer belt first!.

Once that's done, I disassemble the Quill and clean. I also found that the speed change wheel that engages the worm is a little chewed up, but stil functional. I think replacement is in order, as well as for the worm sheel. The outer end of it where the 'ping-gone' should be nicely seated is a little tore up and the circlip no longer sits flush; this has always lead to a bad end, so do I order one, or make one.

Pics to come, Im looking for a nearby shop (Surrey, BC, if any one knows of?).

I don't think I've had this much fun for over 45 years!

Derek