Drive Sleeve Assembly

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Drive Sleeve Assembly

Post by dusty »

Is there anyone out there who has successfully rebuilt the poly-v Drive Sleeve Assembly (518145).

I have been told that I should not attempt to do this but I do not see why. I can readily see that the task can probably only be done by someone using the correct bearing pullers but what else is there that I am missing.

BTW I have a new spare in my box of "may be needed" one day parts but I am now doubting my judgment on this purchase.

What say you?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
PG-Zac
Gold Member

Post by PG-Zac »

dusty wrote: BTW I have a new spare in my box of "may be needed" one day parts but I am now doubting my judgment on this purchase.
Hey Dusty, I can't speak on the drive sleeve assembly, but what is the new spare you refer to?
bucksaw
Gold Member

Post by bucksaw »

dusty wrote:Is there anyone out there who has successfully rebuilt the poly-v Drive Sleeve Assembly (518145).

I have been told that I should not attempt to do this but I do not see why. I can readily see that the task can probably only be done by someone using the correct bearing pullers but what else is there that I am missing.

BTW I have a new spare in my box of "may be needed" one day parts but I am now doubting my judgment on this purchase.

What say you?
Not sure who told you not to attempt it but many of us have done so with no problems. There are several threads discussing howto and fell free to ask questions.

I bought this video to get me started in the right direction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Repair-your-Shopsmith-Mark-V-HEADSTOCK-by-JacobAnderson_W0QQitemZ120550885542QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray?hash=item1c116488a6
Dave - Idaho
Greenie S#261612 - Mar 1954 / Greenie S#305336 - Oct 1955 / Gray S#SS1360 - ?

"Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?" :cool:
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

PG-Zac wrote:Hey Dusty, I can't speak on the drive sleeve assembly, but what is the new spare you refer to?
Poorly written sentence. I have a new poly-v drive sleeve assembly (so I really do not need to rebuild one).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

bucksaw wrote:Not sure who told you not to attempt it but many of us have done so with no problems. There are several threads discussing howto and fell free to ask questions.

I bought this video to get me started in the right direction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Repair-your-Shopsmith-Mark-V-HEADSTOCK-by-JacobAnderson_W0QQitemZ120550885542QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray?hash=item1c116488a6
It turns out that NO ONE told me that, bucksaw.

What I was told was to not attempt to rebuild the Idler Shaft because the shaft is the inner race of the bearing.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

Post by wannabewoodworker »

I replaced all of the bearings on my Mark VII even the eccentric bearings which came out of their lttle home almost without any coaxing. The drive sleeve bearings are one of the easier ones to remove/replace IMHO. Go for it I am a firm believer in replacing all bearins and not using old used ones i.e. spares. The new bearings cost very little and it is the only way to be sure everything is good to go.
Michael Mayo
Senior IT Support Engineer
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
1960's SS Mark VII, 1954 Greenie, 1983 Mark V, Jointer, Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Dewalt Slider, Delta Super 10, Delta 8" Grinder, Craftsman compressor, Drill Doctor, Kreg PH Jig, Bosch Jigsaw, Craftsman Router and Table...........and adding more all the time....:D