Bought a V, did I mess up?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

paulrussell
Platinum Member

Post by paulrussell »

JPG40504 wrote:For lathe work, you will need 505715(drive center).

The quill feed lock: Make sure you have two 501311[36] and one 501627[37]. They may be missing since the 'handle'[35] is missing.
Good call! I'm missing one 501311[36].
fiatben
Platinum Member

Really

Post by fiatben »

you did very well. For $200 bucks I'd have bought even less in this market. You can make a lot of sawdust while rounding out the package. The unit looks to be in good shape compared to what many of us start with for more money.

I agree that everyone at some point has wanted one. Welcome to the club. You've come to the right place for any kind of help you need. These guys are the greatest!!
'55 Greenie #292284 (Mar-55), '89 SS 510 #020989, Mark VII #408551 (sold 10/14/12), SS Band Saw, (SS 500 #36063 (May-79) now gone to son-in-law as of 11-11), Magna bandsaw, Magna jointer 16185 (May-54), Magna belt sander SS28712 (Dec-82), Magna jigsaw SS4397 (Dec-78), SS biscuit joiner, Zyliss (knockoff) vise, 20+ hand planes, 60s Craftsman tablesaw, CarbaTec mini-lathe, and the usual pile of tools. Hermit of the Hills Woodworks, a hillbilly in the foothills of the Ozarks, scraping by.
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

For $200.00 you didn't go wrong. Welcome to the forum.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

Post by wannabewoodworker »

Heck that was a great deal IMHO! Welcome to the insanity and by the way I have the 2 handles you need. Feed lock handle and Quill lock handle. I have 2 extras as I had a bum quill feed mechanism on my 54' Greenie so i bought a complete assy off of Fleabay. So i have the whole assy that came with my Greenie that has a broken spring retainer on the feed shaft which you don't need anyway. So if you want the handles I would be willing to donate them to your newbie cause for the cost of shipping. I will even polish them up on the buffing wheel before I ship em' to ya! Let me know as this is my way of giving back to the group here who have helped me out tremendously in my endeavors!!!!!
Michael Mayo
Senior IT Support Engineer
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
1960's SS Mark VII, 1954 Greenie, 1983 Mark V, Jointer, Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Dewalt Slider, Delta Super 10, Delta 8" Grinder, Craftsman compressor, Drill Doctor, Kreg PH Jig, Bosch Jigsaw, Craftsman Router and Table...........and adding more all the time....:D
iclark
Platinum Member

Post by iclark »

paulrussell wrote:5041729 Feed Stop Handle ($9.21)
505875 Upper and Lower Saw Guards ($184)
55143 Sanding Disk Assembly ($55.60)
504276 Tail Stock Assembly ($83.09)
505716 Cup Center ($18.47)
514398 Tool Rest Assembly ($80.40)
522215 Caster wheels (3.99 each)
505586 Lathe Chisels ($97)
Lathe Centers / Lathe Plates
as jpg pointed out, for lathe work you will need a drive center or chuck. Woodcraft is currently running a good sale on the Teknatool Nova G3 chuck. you will need a 5/8" smooth adapter to use it on a SS.
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208076 ... ckage.aspx
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200576 ... nsert.aspx

the 505716 Cup Center is a dead center (it does not turn). many good things have been made with dead centers, but live centers (they have bearings so that the work-piece end spins with the stock) tend to be easier to use for us beginners. I have had good luck with the Steb-type Super Drive live centers here:
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/live- ... nters.html

I also do not see any of the safety kit (505973). the SS push blocks, fence-straddler and feather boards are excellent. the push stick is a good one, but buying or making a push shoe is even safer and offers better control. you want to be sure that you always know where your hands and fingers will go if the wood you are cutting suddenly disappears.

in the picture showing the back side of main table and headstock, there seems to be something mounted on the out-feed side of the main table. what is that?

welcome aboard,
Ivan
Mark V (84) w/ jigsaw, belt sander, strip sander
ER10 awaiting restoration
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

[quote="iclark . . .

in the picture showing the back side of main table and headstock, there seems to be something mounted on the out-feed side of the main table. what is that?

welcome aboard,
Ivan[/quote"]

That would be what he does have of the upper saw guard mount.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
paulrussell
Platinum Member

Post by paulrussell »

wannabewoodworker wrote:Welcome to the insanity and by the way I have the 2 handles you need. Feed lock handle and Quill lock handle.
So if you want the handles I would be willing to donate them to your newbie cause for the cost of shipping. I will even polish them up on the buffing wheel before I ship em' to ya!
You do realize that if you polish the handles, you are going to raise the bar for the entire machine!

Right now my goal is to get everything working properly, with aesthetics further next down the line. But I have been lucky because other than the upright posts for the three tables, everything cleaned up real nice with only a scrub brush and car wash. The posts have needed a bit of elbow grease to restore them to life. I’m very lucky that the four main horizontal bars had almost zero rust.

I'll drop you an email about shipping etc. Thanks again!
mikelst
Gold Member

Post by mikelst »

Welcome to the forum .

As I mentioned to another new member, you couldn't have found a better bunch of guys to help you figure everything out. These guys are a great bunch and have a world of experience in figuring these great tools out.

Good luck and watch the advice, its all good.
Mike......... Rowlett, Texas, near Dallas
86 MK V 500/520. 59 MK 5 Greenie Shorty. SS Jointer, SS Planer,
SS Bandsaw, SS Lathe duplicator, SS Belt Sander,SS Molder & Shaper,
SS Tenon master jig, SS Mortising kit, SS 2 1/4' Drum Sanders, Ringmaster, DC3300....
paulrussell
Platinum Member

Post by paulrussell »

iclark wrote:as jpg pointed out, for lathe work you will need a drive center or chuck. Woodcraft is currently running a good sale on the Teknatool Nova G3 chuck. you will need a 5/8" smooth adapter to use it on a SS.
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208076 ... ckage.aspx
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200576 ... nsert.aspx

the 505716 Cup Center is a dead center (it does not turn). many good things have been made with dead centers, but live centers (they have bearings so that the work-piece end spins with the stock) tend to be easier to use for us beginners. I have had good luck with the Steb-type Super Drive live centers here:
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/live- ... nters.html

I also do not see any of the safety kit (505973). the SS push blocks, fence-straddler and feather boards are excellent. the push stick is a good one, but buying or making a push shoe is even safer and offers better control. you want to be sure that you always know where your hands and fingers will go if the wood you are cutting suddenly disappears.
Yes, I'm debating what way to go with the safety equipment. I had a conversation just last night with my wife regarding not making a single cut until I have the saw guards and proper pushblocks etc. The Shopsmith safety kit seems nice, but I think I could duplicate it for much less than the SS price -- even on Ebay they seem to be a bit more pricey than I would have expected.

Funny thing about getting a good deal on the base unit -- it makes me cheap all around. If I had bought a new Shopsmith, I'd think nothing of buying a $200 lathe chuck. But since I got a used machine for a great price, it seems to change how I look at everything else as well. Funny how my mind works.

Thanks for the info and the greetings! -- Paul
mikelst
Gold Member

Post by mikelst »

This may become a little bit of a rock and a hard place thing. A push stick or shoe is easily made but how do you make it without turning on the tool?:rolleyes: Use hand tools maybe...
For a push block I once grabbed a sanding block at walmart, it has a handel just like the push block and has the foam gripper on the bottom and I think it was only a few $ too. I still use it for a push block a lot of the time.

I haven't ever used my fence straddler so imho that could wait until you could make something when you need it.

Any way FWIW those are my thoughts.
Mike......... Rowlett, Texas, near Dallas
86 MK V 500/520. 59 MK 5 Greenie Shorty. SS Jointer, SS Planer,
SS Bandsaw, SS Lathe duplicator, SS Belt Sander,SS Molder & Shaper,
SS Tenon master jig, SS Mortising kit, SS 2 1/4' Drum Sanders, Ringmaster, DC3300....