Question for Shopsmith re: Powerpro!

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

easterngray
Platinum Member

Question for Shopsmith re: Powerpro!

Post by easterngray »

I'm hoping someone from Shopsmith can answer this question: Will I be able to use my single bearing quill with the PowerPro or is it reccomended that I upgrade to a double bearing quill? I am hoping to determine what the full upgrade cost will be - recognizing of course that I have no idea what the PowerPro upgrade costs. That said, I plan to take the least expensive route, which is to install the upgrade myself. I was informed by SS this past week that that option will be available. I hadn't thought about the quill 'till just now... Thanks in advance - Alec
1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

easterngray wrote:I'm hoping someone from Shopsmith can answer this question: Will I be able to use my single bearing quill with the PowerPro or is it reccomended that I upgrade to a double bearing quill? I am hoping to determine what the full upgrade cost will be - recognizing of course that I have no idea what the PowerPro upgrade costs. That said, I plan to take the least expensive route, which is to install the upgrade myself. I was informed by SS this past week that that option will be available. I hadn't thought about the quill 'till just now... Thanks in advance - Alec
Alec, I don't recall the time that anyone other than Nick ever directly answered a question about the Shopsmith here on the forum. You'd be much better off calling Shopsmith Customer Service.

I talked to them today and they are a bit more willing to discuss details about the PowerPro than they have been in the past. Delivery schedule and cost are still off limits.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
bucksaw
Gold Member

Post by bucksaw »

easterngray wrote:I'm hoping someone from Shopsmith can answer this question: Will I be able to use my single bearing quill with the PowerPro or is it reccomended that I upgrade to a double bearing quill? I am hoping to determine what the full upgrade cost will be - recognizing of course that I have no idea what the PowerPro upgrade costs. That said, I plan to take the least expensive route, which is to install the upgrade myself. I was informed by SS this past week that that option will be available. I hadn't thought about the quill 'till just now... Thanks in advance - Alec
No one has told me this but I would guess that the new PowerPro will need no parts from your old head stock. In fact I will be willing to bet that the only parts that will fit the new head stock will be the accessories.
Dave - Idaho
Greenie S#261612 - Mar 1954 / Greenie S#305336 - Oct 1955 / Gray S#SS1360 - ?

"Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?" :cool:
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Here is the best I've heard -- see particularly post #44 here:

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthr ... 022&page=5
Chris
easterngray
Platinum Member

Post by easterngray »

Thanks Chris - looks like I'll have to add the double bearing quill to the upgrade cost. Cheers - Alec
1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

That be GOOD news!!!!!!

Post #44 above = my only recollection of the quill requirement. From whence is IT based???
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG40504 wrote:That be GOOD news!!!!!!

Post #44 above = my only recollection of the quill requirement. From whence is IT based???
I don't have any information direct from Shopsmith but my understanding is that the two bearing quill will likely "work better" at high speeds than the single bearing quill or any other with badly worn bearings.

Speculation, speculation and more speculation. Guess we will just have to wait a few more weeks. I think we can count on Shopsmith posting some disclaimers if the PowerPro has any incompatibilities.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

dusty wrote:I don't have any information direct from Shopsmith but my understanding is that the two bearing quill will likely "work better" at high speeds than the single bearing quill or any other with badly worn bearings.

I like the way you said that.
Every now and then I like to toss out a reminder that the Shopsmith single bearing quill is NOT a piece of junk to be avoided at all cost. When I see a testimonial that the 2 bearing quill made a 300% improvement in someone's SS I always have to wonder if simply replacing the worn single bearing with a new single bearing would have perhaps produced a similar improvement.
If you happen to be a "accuracy freak" (which is fine) then you should pop for one and enjoy feeling that you have done all that you can to be right on. If your woodworking involves making a few rustic birdhouses a year spending for one borders on silly.
I had a chance once to buy a new two bearing quill at a real bargain so I bought it "just because" and installed it in a unit that I was setting up as a dedicated wood lathe.
I just hate for those with less experience in such things to feel that if they don't run out and buy one for their old Shopsmith that they shouldn't even try to cut wood.
I do fully understand Dusty's comment about one likely being better at the new high speeds of the Power-Pro and believe that the accuracy of that statement is good.
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

When I was playing with using DC motors and controllers, I remember that some knowledgeable person told me that the bearings in the quill was only rated for 8000 to 9000 RPM. That was a few years ago and I did not save this information. I know that at 12,000 RPM, the single bearing quill I was using quickly had additional vibration and play after a few hours at this RPM.

I have been using ABEC3 rated quill bearings that are rated around 15,000 RPM but I have never tested them at this speed. I would believe new higher quality quill bearings would be needed if anyone was going to operate the PowerPro at 7,000 or higher RPM.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

billmayo wrote:When I was playing with using DC motors and controllers, I remember that some knowledgeable person told me that the bearings in the quill was only rated for 8000 to 9000 RPM. That was a few years ago and I did not save this information. I know that at 12,000 RPM, the single bearing quill I was using quickly had additional vibration and play after a few hours at this RPM.

I have been using ABEC3 rated quill bearings that are rated around 15,000 RPM but I have never tested them at this speed. I would believe new higher quality quill bearings would be needed if anyone was going to operate the PowerPro at 7,000 or higher RPM.
Reading between the lines, I would conclude that a single bearing quill refurbed with a new high quality bearing (rated for higher rpm) would result in satisfactory performance.

This would certainly be more frugal than buying a new two bearing quill.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty