510 Questions

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

paulrussell
Platinum Member

510 Questions

Post by paulrussell »

Though I've not even had a chance to use my Shopsmith 500 table saw yet (need some safety gear first,) based on posts in these forums I've begun to wonder about the 510 and 520.

I don't see myself shelling out $950 to $1250 for a shiny new upgrade kit*. I could buy a second whole used SS in a 510 or 520 configuration for less.

Ebay appears to have a steady stream of 510 parts, and this might be something I want to start shopping for part-by-part.

The first question would be: What possible disadvantages are there to a 510 upgrade? (Other than having a box of 500 parts that I will no longer need)

--Paul

*I must admit that a part of me would like to order the 520 upgrade to help keep Shopsmith financially solvent, but that's a whole different tale. It is ironic that the biggest competition to new Shopsmiths seems to be OLD Shopsmiths.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

You are absolutely correct in your statement that pre-owned Shopsmith's create a great competition against NEW Shopsmith's. The real shame is that Shopsmith does not seem to recognize that. If they did, they would be trying much harder to make available parts and upgrade kits at prices the owners could not resist.

But, who am I to criticize; they have a marketing department full of professions to make these decisions that are so important to their future.

Yes, you can probably complete an upgrade using parts from eBay. It might take awhile and you just might buy a goose egg or two along the way. If you are not real careful, you might pay a lot more in the end. Remember, every one of those little parts that you buy comes with a shipping cost. The deals on eBay are not always as good as they first look.

Before you begin shelling out more money, you need to spend some time learning and using your 500. After you have used it for a while, doing what you are going to do with it, you will better know what it doesn't do "for you" and you will know better what to upgrade.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
bucksaw
Gold Member

Post by bucksaw »

paulrussell wrote:Though I've not even had a chance to use my Shopsmith 500 table saw yet (need some safety gear first,) based on posts in these forums I've begun to wonder about the 510 and 520.

I don't see myself shelling out $950 to $1250 for a shiny new upgrade kit*. I could buy a second whole used SS in a 510 or 520 configuration for less.

Ebay appears to have a steady stream of 510 parts, and this might be something I want to start shopping for part-by-part.

The first question would be: What possible disadvantages are there to a 510 upgrade? (Other than having a box of 500 parts that I will no longer need)

--Paul

*I must admit that a part of me would like to order the 520 upgrade to help keep Shopsmith financially solvent, but that's a whole different tale. It is ironic that the biggest competition to new Shopsmiths seems to be OLD Shopsmiths.
I took my time and did an eBay upgrade from 500 to 510, part by part, for about $400. Then I sold my 500 parts on eBay.
Dave - Idaho
Greenie S#261612 - Mar 1954 / Greenie S#305336 - Oct 1955 / Gray S#SS1360 - ?

"Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?" :cool:
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

bucksaw wrote:I took my time and did an eBay upgrade from 500 to 510, part by part, for about $400. Then I sold my 500 parts on eBay.

$400 including shipping? Main table + carriage + fence + floating tables(2) + extension table + tubes +legs + guards? Yu dun gud!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
paulrussell
Platinum Member

Post by paulrussell »

I have no intention of moving past the basic 500 configuration until I've learned a lot more about both woodworking and the Shopsmith. None-the-less I'm an information junkie, and love a bargain. :)

Paul
paulrussell
Platinum Member

Post by paulrussell »

I'm sorely tempted, but I'm sticking with the base 500 for now -- But for anyone interested: on Ebay there is a 510 upgrade for a buy-it-now of $450.

http://tinyurl.com/y4jh47r
wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

Post by wannabewoodworker »

paulrussell wrote:I'm sorely tempted, but I'm sticking with the base 500 for now -- But for anyone interested: on Ebay there is a 510 upgrade for a buy-it-now of $450.

http://tinyurl.com/y4jh47r

That would be for sale by a member here SDSsmith!
Michael Mayo
Senior IT Support Engineer
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
1960's SS Mark VII, 1954 Greenie, 1983 Mark V, Jointer, Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Dewalt Slider, Delta Super 10, Delta 8" Grinder, Craftsman compressor, Drill Doctor, Kreg PH Jig, Bosch Jigsaw, Craftsman Router and Table...........and adding more all the time....:D
paulrussell
Platinum Member

Post by paulrussell »

Another question. please message me with the answer if need be. What sort of discount is there on0the upgrades when they go on sale? And how often does a sale roll bye?
riot_nrrd
Gold Member

Post by riot_nrrd »

[quote="dusty"] who am I to criticize]

I wouldn't be so sure... or was that tongue in cheek?
RiotNrrd

Shopsmith 510 with PowerPro upgrade, Bandsaw, Jointer, Planer, Belt Sander
Incra 1000 HD, Miter Express, TS-III, Wonderfence Other miscellaneous Dewalt, Ryobi, and Craftsman
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

paulrussell wrote:Another question. please message me with the answer if need be. What sort of discount is there on0the upgrades when they go on sale? And how often does a sale roll bye?

Their last sale was Feb. 16, 2010. That sale lasted for 10 days. There was also an e-mail reminder of that sale on 2/24/10. This sale was 20% off.

Don't really have an idea of how often they have these sales. Have seen them before several times. Hesitate to say twice yearly. Just seems about that frequency to me. 20%? Can't remember if every one of these upgrade sales have been 20% off. Maybe 25% off sometimes.

I think the sale frequency depends on how much stock they must order from others. Although I believe Shopsmith makes the tables themselves there are hardware parts that probably must be special ordered.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA