New Shop Smith owner

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

robg wrote:I have noticed that the dust collectors used in presentations and at the traveling academy all seem quieter than mine and also seem to work better. Nonetheless, the portability is key for me since I use the garage as my shop and it's hard to complain about the machine when I can drag it around without issue and connect it wherever it's needed.

If I ever get a place where I will have room for a dedicated shop, it will be different. Until then, this one works, even if it does mean I have to clean up the floor if I use the saw or the router. Works great with the belt sander though. Amazingly so compared to the disk sander.
I think both ncc1701dhhr and robg may be having the same problem, something wrong with the impeller. Pull the dust cover off and then remover the plastic dust shroud so you can see the impeller. Is there anything stuck on it? Is any of the blades missing, nicked, broken?
My DC3000 will keep up with both my jointer and Delta planner and then some. It easily keeps up with the saw. Remember the lower blade guide is not sealed so there will be some dust that escapes but I have cut all day and only have a light dusting of dust on my floor under the SS.

I also often open one of the empty ports just to let the DC collect any dust floating in the air along with having it hooked up to the saw. It looses an little suction force but moves more air. This way it actually seems to collect more dust that way.

The only noise other than the motor and some impeller noise is when a rag, piece of paper/tape/sales receipth gets sucked up and hangs on to the impeller. It sort of growls then.
chiroindixon
Gold Member

Taught by an Academy instructor...

Post by chiroindixon »

I agree with Ed. Check your machine. Remember that the Academy guys keep their stuff cleaned and well tuned. Makes for better, quieter demos...

Woods like pine, have a habit of creating dust clumps on about everything. Ever take apart your saw guards and have to chip crap off? The fan might have the same situation.

I think it was Doug Reid who convinced the room full of us that the Dust collector actually works better with all three openings open, i.e. hooked to the saw with two others open. It has to do with CFM total.

I find it works fine and does help to clear the air. Oft times I'll let it run for a few minutes to help clear flying fine dust from woods that irritate my nose and lungs. BTW, I also have a Delta air cleaner and use them together when really giving the saw or sanders a workout.

Overall, I too have been satisfied with my DC3300. I did upgrade to the mid size hood (when it was the bigger) and am now considering the very large hood. A matter of microns....and allergies.

One tip is to use a 20 gallon plastic tub in the bottom of the unit to hold the bottom of the bag. I've cut down on the number of times a hole got poked in the bag. Better, just unscrew the clamp and the bag is already in a tub with handles. Carrying a fairly full bag without support can get dicey. Real easy to get sawdust all over.

Doc
robg
Gold Member

Post by robg »

Ed in Tampa wrote:I think both ncc1701dhhr and robg may be having the same problem, something wrong with the impeller. Pull the dust cover off and then remover the plastic dust shroud so you can see the impeller. Is there anything stuck on it? Is any of the blades missing, nicked, broken?
Have you tried this? I tried to get my impeller into easy view after I noticed the difference in volume between mine and the traveling academy's dust collector. I took several pieces apart, but when it looked like I would have to remove the enitre motor housing to get the impeller into view, I put it back together and went back to cutting wood. I suspected that dog hair was interfering, but I could see part of the impeller and didn't see any dog hair, so I decided that couldn't be it.

Anyway, "remove the plastic dust shroud so you can see the impeller" sounds like a relatively easy thing to do. But unless I missed something, the impeller is in a one piece housing that holds the motor and has to be lifted out of the stand to get easy access. Anybody have any suggestions?
roj#79
Bronze Member

Post by roj#79 »

ncc1701dhhr wrote:Well it has been a few weeks now and i am finding more and more to do with my shop smith, I do wish I had waited on the dust collecter though:rolleyes:
with such a low CFM it isnt what i was expecting, I have found localy for the same price several units with well over triple the CFM and the same size, They would do a much better job.:( o well live and learn. it is better than not having one at all, as for the shop smith it is preforming better than I could have hoped for, Have built several pull out drawers for my wifes Pantry
now if I can just get time to do what I want :p but it is all fun and the smiles and thank you's are more than worth it.:cool:
You are right on the dust collector. It leaves a lot to be desired.
Before I bought it a had one of the Shopsmith's large shop-vac. I had less dust and chips on the floor that I do now using the dust collector. I bought it after seeing the write up on how it clears a room full of dust. I don't see that happen either. It is over priced for the size of it.
Just my opinon!
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

I bought it after seeing the write up on how it clears a room full of dust.
To do that you'll need a good filter bag, like a 5 micron bag.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

robg wrote:Have you tried this? I tried to get my impeller into easy view after I noticed the difference in volume between mine and the traveling academy's dust collector. I took several pieces apart, but when it looked like I would have to remove the enitre motor housing to get the impeller into view, I put it back together and went back to cutting wood. I suspected that dog hair was interfering, but I could see part of the impeller and didn't see any dog hair, so I decided that couldn't be it.

Anyway, "remove the plastic dust shroud so you can see the impeller" sounds like a relatively easy thing to do. But unless I missed something, the impeller is in a one piece housing that holds the motor and has to be lifted out of the stand to get easy access. Anybody have any suggestions?

I was getting already to tell you how easy it is, then I went to the exploded view. My DC3000 is built differently than what the picture shows. On mine there is a plastic shroud that attaches to impeller housing. By removing this shroud I have access to the impeller. It is not total access but enough to clean and inspect it.

I think on yours it must be a one piece setup now. My part 10 is actually two pieces on the impeller caseing and two a shroud or deflector.
[ATTACH]9[/ATTACH]

It looks like you have to remove more than I do. Sorry!!!
Ed
Attachments
DstColPartsExplosion2sm.gif
DstColPartsExplosion2sm.gif (20.58 KiB) Viewed 25870 times
robg
Gold Member

Post by robg »

Thanks for looking Ed. I will call the help line and ask them what the best way is to get to it. I don't mind removing the whole unit. It looked clean though - so I don't know what getting to the impeller will do for me. *shrug* I do think my duct colletcion performance is sub par compared to other units I have seen though, so it's worth looking into.
ncc1701dhhr
Bronze Member

Post by ncc1701dhhr »

Ed in Tampa wrote:I think both ncc1701dhhr and robg may be having the same problem, something wrong with the impeller. Pull the dust cover off and then remover the plastic dust shroud so you can see the impeller. Is there anything stuck on it? Is any of the blades missing, nicked, broken?
My DC3000 will keep up with both my jointer and Delta planner and then some. It easily keeps up with the saw. Remember the lower blade guide is not sealed so there will be some dust that escapes but I have cut all day and only have a light dusting of dust on my floor under the SS.

I also often open one of the empty ports just to let the DC collect any dust floating in the air along with having it hooked up to the saw. It looses an little suction force but moves more air. This way it actually seems to collect more dust that way.

The only noise other than the motor and some impeller noise is when a rag, piece of paper/tape/sales receipth gets sucked up and hangs on to the impeller. It sort of growls then.
You might have a point , But my dust collector has a total of mabe 1 1/2 hours use in this time it has only been hooked up to the -saw, band saw. sanding disk. and has not been used off the shop smith at all so all it has seen is saw dust. I have a dedicated wall mounted shop vac for shop clean up ect:floors, benches, and such. but I will look to see if there might be something interfearing with the impeller, and let you know. But I belive unless it shipped with the problem it will be clear.
wlcummings
Bronze Member

Dust Collector

Post by wlcummings »

Have had mine for 20 years and have had to replace the impeller twice. How a impeller goes bad is beyond me. it has been 5 years now and all i can remeber is you have to dismantle the whole thing to replace it. :)
ncc1701dhhr
Bronze Member

Post by ncc1701dhhr »

I think it was Doug Reid who convinced the room full of us that the Dust collector actually works better with all three openings open, i.e. hooked to the saw with two others open. It has to do with CFM total.

I find it works fine and does help to clear the air. Oft times I'll let it run for a few minutes to help clear flying fine dust from woods that irritate my nose and lungs.

;) well I took it apart to the point i could see the impeller and it was clear of any debries, Do hope I never have to tear down to replace, not hard but a lot to it!

found out the above is true i removed a second port and it did improve it's ability to pickup dust so i just left it open.

I do hope they improve it's cfm it is sad that there are systems out there that
are less cost have 1 to 1.5 micron dust collection are on wheels and are the mabe 1 foot longer base and sell for 379.00 with 1100 cfm. :eek:
and on the shop smith site it say's that cfm is more important than stattic vacume, You think they would want to try to give you some thing equal to there name in quality, no where have i seen any dust collection offered with such a low cfm as shop smith dc 3300. Im just saying with the quality and performance of every thing elce i have tried from shop smith this is a real let down :( I have since seen and tried the higher cfm units and all i can say is wow!!! it is actualy quiter too and no dust fall out it sucks it away almost faster than the saw can make it!! :cool: ( look's like my DC 3300 will be in a corner collecting dust after all.)