Motor only hmmms, then blows circuit breaker

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

vanmeter2r
Gold Member

Motor only hmmms, then blows circuit breaker

Post by vanmeter2r »

Hello all, I'm new to this site & ss. Ihave wanted a ss for over 20ys and yesterday I gat the opertunity to purshase an old BEAT UP/ABUSED ss, so I puchsed it. It had appearently been sitting out in the Florida enviroment forany years (completely rusted). I offered the old lady $150 so she could pay her insurance bill, hoping, if I could get it started, I could have accomplished a long term dream of owning a SS mark V. Anyway, after getting this beast home and looking at all the rusty items, I start getting some things to work, BUT I have one huge problem. I turn on the SS it will hmm for about 20 sec then blow a circuit breaker on my heavy duty extension cord and even if I plug it into any 115/120v wall socket. Did The old lady rip me off, because she know what was wrong? Is there anyone who can help me repair ( or have it repaired) this motor? When it first starts, I think I have saw the rear belying wheel turn slightly (did it twice). I am already tight on funds and can never afford an expensive new one, and don't want to throw it away. If any of you from ft Walton beach, fl can help, please let me know....thank you all.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

First of all, quit applying power until you have done some other things. I believe your motor is probably OKAY - at least is not completely burned out (YET).

I recommend that you review the following Sawdust Sessions before you doing anything else. Sessions #21 thru #24 are directly applicable to what you have to do.

The fact that you live in Florida (corrosive salt water environment) and that the unit has been sitting for a long time are working against you.

Do you have pictures. Those would help to assess the circumstances.

Welcome to the forum. I think we will be able to show you that the "ole lady" did not rip you off. However, if she did get the best of the deal - you can turn that around.

Here is an example of what can be done.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

Do not apply any more power to the motor. You will need to remove the motor and blow all the sawdust and crud from the motor as the centrifugal switch points are not making contact. Many times, the points have been burnt and will need filing. Please contact me off-line as I am near Tampa and should be able to help get you going again. Thanks.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Hi and welcome to the forum
I agree with Dusty DO NOT apply power to the motor any more !!!!!
The environment that you are in and the period of time of inactivity has probably caused the motor bearings to freeze up. If you have a sanding disc install it on the main shaft and try to turn the spindle by hand. I suspect thjat it will be very difficult to turn. At that point I would suggest that the headstock be completely dismantled and all of the bearings replaced as well as the two belts. A complete tear down and inspection of all revolving and sliding parts is highly recommended and will probably reveal more problems that I have not thought of mentioning in this short post. I think that I read in your post that you are in Florida, where in Fl ?
Bill
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

You really, really need to disassemble and inspect the entire headstock. It is VERY easy to do. Just follow the sawdust sessions referenced in the previous post. You don't have to know anything to do it, just follow the videos and take LOTS of photos of your work as you go. They come in helpful when reassembling.

The fact that your motor at least hums is good. My ER10 machine lived outside also. The motor also just hummed. This is why. Loaded with rust.....frozen bearings. No biggie. It tested fine. Other things can cause the motor to not turn also. You'll need to troubleshoot further. Removing the drive belt will allow you to see if it's the motor or other drive system component causing the problem.

Don't worry about a little rust. They clean up fine. Here's my Mark 5 and ER10

Welcome to the forum. Love to see pics of your score.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
tkhudson
Gold Member

Post by tkhudson »

I had the same thing happen with my Greenie. After turning over by hand I had realized that the cardinal sin had been broken and the speed control had been played with, pinching the belt. Once I had the belts " associated" properly in the sheaves.. it ran like a champ and still does
cybersspot
Bronze Member

My motor quit working

Post by cybersspot »

First of all, let me apologize, I don't know how to start a new thread here.

I just pulled my shopsmith out of storage, set it up, went to rip a board. About half way through, the motor bogged down and stopped rather quickly. I backed off and it was dead. checked the breakers, tried a different plug, nothing. Is there a fuse or something besides the motor that could be the problem?

Thanks in advance

Dave
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

cybersspot wrote:First of all, let me apologize, I don't know how to start a new thread here.

I just pulled my shopsmith out of storage, set it up, went to rip a board. About half way through, the motor bogged down and stopped rather quickly. I backed off and it was dead. checked the breakers, tried a different plug, nothing. Is there a fuse or something besides the motor that could be the problem?

Thanks in advance

Dave
No apology necessary. This is done regularly here on this forum.

Sorry to here of your problem but do not despair. No, there is no fuse built into the Mark V (though someone could certainly have added one). Is there a breaker or fuse panel that may service this particular outlet. I would start by checking all the breakers/fuses.

Plug something like a desk lamp into the outlet where the Shopsmith was plugged in to see if you have power there.

You said that you just hauled the patient out of storage. I strongly urge you to UNPLUG it, open it up and clean it out and then lubricate it before you go back to work with it.

Check the Sawdust Sessions if you have not done this before. Sessions #21 thru #24 are especially appropriate to you right now.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
mgdesigns
Gold Member

Post by mgdesigns »

The HUM and then blowing of a circuit breaker could be a result of the older motor trying to start when set at high speed. Mine did the same thing several times when I went to inspect it before buying it. With the motor unplugged - try to turn the quill shaft (install a sanding disk) and while turning it, slowly reduce the speed selector to the slowest speed. Then try to plug in and see if the hum has stopped. If it starts up - fine. Still disassemble and lube (I just overhauled mine, and it is not too awfully difficult, and will give you an appreciation for the simplicity of this machine). Even after the overhaul, when I tried to start at high speed it hummed and choked - too much torque to overcome on a 3/4 hp Greenie. But manually turning to slow speed fixed that - and it purrs like a kitten now.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

cybersspot wrote:First of all, let me apologize, I don't know how to start a new thread here.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Add post #6 to #8 and #9 for a summary of what may be the problem.

Also realize that ripping is the hardest thing the motor has to do. Slowing down the blade speed and feed rate will circumvent the problem if that is the cause.

Pay attention to #6. A jammed belt is easily assumed to be a motor stall problem.

In any event do as Dusty has suggested - clean/lubricate(often).

Good Luck! Come back if it persists!

P.S. Do not overlook the possibility of a loose/broken wire or switch.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange