55 Greenie Quill Question

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bobsdad
Bronze Member

55 Greenie Quill Question

Post by bobsdad »

Hello all. Just picked up a Mark V SN 291221 in pretty nice shape. Most of it is in boxes on the bench going through inspection and cleaning. Should have taken a before pix but anxious to get after it.

Still has Gilmer drive and single bearing quill. Had a time getting the quill out due to a little galling which should clean up fine. My question, however, is on the bearing. I was able to pull the shaft out by hand with no real force. Just slid it out. After I popped off the snap ring, the bearing also just slid out of the quill housing. It is a Fafnir 202KDD5. Bearing seems fine but there is a little more play than I like so will probably replace it.

These things shouldn't come apart that easy should they? Should I be worried about something else? For now I'm going to stick with the Gilmer system.

John
Richland, WA
Attachments
IMG_1174.JPG
IMG_1174.JPG (72.37 KiB) Viewed 2972 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

bobsdad wrote:Hello all. Just picked up a Mark V SN 291221 in pretty nice shape. Most of it is in boxes on the bench going through inspection and cleaning. Should have taken a before pix but anxious to get after it.

Still has Gilmer drive and single bearing quill. Had a time getting the quill out due to a little galling which should clean up fine. My question, however, is on the bearing. I was able to pull the shaft out by hand with no real force. Just slid it out. After I popped off the snap ring, the bearing also just slid out of the quill housing. It is a Fafnir 202KDD5. Bearing seems fine but there is a little more play than I like so will probably replace it.

These things shouldn't come apart that easy should they? Should I be worried about something else? For now I'm going to stick with the Gilmer system.

John
Richland, WA
When I replaced the quill bearing on my 'goldie', it came off the quill shaft quite easily. The 'new' bearing was a little 'tighter' on the shaft, but did not require a bearing puller to install it.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
bucksaw
Gold Member

Post by bucksaw »

When I have a loose bearing seat, I take a chisel and hammer and score the shaft where the bearing seats parallel to the shaft and equal spaced around the shaft. It usually only takes a light tap with the hammer to tighten up the fit. Start really light because it does not take much to tighten the fit. My dad, who was a machinist most of his life, taught me this trick.
Dave - Idaho
Greenie S#261612 - Mar 1954 / Greenie S#305336 - Oct 1955 / Gray S#SS1360 - ?

"Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?" :cool:
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

bucksaw wrote:When I have a loose bearing seat, I take a chisel and hammer and score the shaft where the bearing seats parallel to the shaft and equal spaced around the shaft. It usually only takes a light tap with the hammer to tighten up the fit. Start really light because it does not take much to tighten the fit. My dad, who was a machinist most of his life, taught me this trick.
Also, I find that channel-lock pliers and a hammer will allow even spacing around the shaft to keep the bearing centered on the shaft.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Bob's Dad;
Nice picture of the quill but I was more interested in the background. Call Sign??
Is that a kenwood?
Bill V WA2CRK
bobsdad
Bronze Member

Post by bobsdad »

Good eyes Bill. Call is NU7F and it's an FT-1000MP. More hobbies than I have time for and now with a Greenie to rebuild!