Time for a new mailbox post!

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chrispitude
Gold Member

Time for a new mailbox post!

Post by chrispitude »

Well, my wife recently decided that our old mailbox post was pretty tired and needed replaced.

Well, she actually decided this a few years ago but I only recently got around to getting it done...

I came up with the design myself. It was pretty simple and didn't really require much Shopsmith'ing, other than making some 45degree cuts in a 2x4, and cutting two 4x4 pieces to length. Here's a picture of the mailbox:

The vertical post is a full 8' length of pressure-treated 4x4, sunk into the ground about 30" with a liberal amount of concrete to set it. The 30" hole was dug with a 2-man power auger, which is a story in itself...

I actually set the 4x4 post in a vinyl 4x4 sleeve, then poured the concrete around that. This way, if this post gets damaged by an errant side view window or a wall of snow thrown by a snowplow, I can pull it out and slide a new one in. I filled the hole with about an inch of sand first, then snugged the sleeve down onto the sand. This ensures that any water inside the sleeve has a drainage path downward, and is not sealed up by concrete.

The horizontal cross-piece is a 23" length of 4x4, snugged into a 1" notch cut into the vertical post. I made this notch with repeated runs of a circular saw, then chiseled out the bottom. This was the first time I've done that, and the notch came out smoother than I expected!

I used a 36" Irwin Quick-Grip clamp to hold the horizontal piece tightly into the offset, made sure it was square, then used 3.5" coated deck screws from the backside to attach it. I drilled the holes through the vertical post slightly oversize to ensure that the deck screw threads didn't grip that piece well, and pulled the horizontal piece into the notch instead.

...continued...
chrispitude
Gold Member

Post by chrispitude »

We then used more clamps to mock up how the 2x4 arms should be positioned. Taps with a mallet were enough to move them around even while clamped. Once positioned, we used a large Forstner bit to make a recess in the 2x4 (big enough for a washer), then a smaller spade bit centered in that hole for the threaded rod. To position the hole, I measured 1.75" in from the side of the 2x4 centered on the 2x4), and 1.75" in from the 45degree cut (to be centered on the underlying 4x4). We had to drill with the spade bit from both sides and aim it by hand to get them to meet in the middle. That actually worked out better than I expected. :)

The completed project:

Here's a link to my photo album with more pictures of the installation:

chrispitude's mailbox install

I've ended up making two more of these for friends of mine who really liked the design and installation methods.

- Chris
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

Much improved Chris. Very nice job. AND.... you just slid in under the unwritten male Prenup (sp??) agreement to finish any project request with 2-1/2 years of the initial demand.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

mickyd wrote:Much improved Chris. Very nice job. AND.... you just slid in under the unwritten male Prenup (sp??) agreement to finish any project request with 2-1/2 years of the initial demand.

I like how you combined the words "request" and "demand" in the same sentence regarding the same subject. :D
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

You just never know about mail boxes... Either it will be looking very nice for a very long time or it may be on the ground in splinters in 24 hours... :rolleyes:
It does look quite nice.
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Very nice job, Chris! Sturdy lookin' stand! Loved to read about your uses of the circle saw and a chisel to make a 3 1/2"dado, and your use of the forstner bit. The results look professional and attest to your growing woodworker skills.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
rkh2
Platinum Member

Post by rkh2 »

I really like it. Sure looks to be good and sturdy and your idea about setting it in the PVC makes real good sense and so much easier if you ever have to replace it. Who knows, you may end up with a whole neighborhood with these. Great job!!
Ron from Lewisburg, TN