Difference in battery operated drills

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mpcarr
Gold Member

Difference in battery operated drills

Post by mpcarr »

A few years ago, I bought a Ryobi 18 volt drill. I was looking at Dewalt, but decided I could save around $150 by going with the Ryobi. I understand that you get what you pay for, but I have been generally satisfied with Ryobi and have since purchased a circular saw, impact wrench, right angle drill and saber saw all using the same 18 volt batteries. I have been relatively satisfied with them all. Recently, I helped a friend hang a couple of kitchen cabinets and used her Dewalt drill (not sure but I think it was 14.4 volt or something similar). I didn't have my drill with me for a side-by-side comparison, but it seems to me that the Dewalt had significantly more torque. At least it seemed to drive screws easier. Maybe my imagination, but has anyone else noticed a difference like that between Ryobi and others, or is it all in my head?

thanks - Mike
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

My first cordless drill/driver was a Ryobi. 12v, IIRC. Weak torque and short battery life overall. When the batteries finally completely died, I bought a Makita 14.4. It's been a good drill for 5 years. I'd probably buy another one.
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
dwevans
Gold Member

Post by dwevans »

I was so pleased with my first Makita 3/8 14.4V that I purchased a 1/2" one a few years later. I've been so please with that one that when a Makita impact driver drill went on sale a few weeks ago I purchased it. They seem to have tons of torque and good battery life.

Iv'e tried Ryobi, and B&D, but none compare my Makita's
Doug

Shopsmith Mark V model 500 upgraded to a model 520, bandsaw, Belt Sander, Jointer, Dewalt DW735 planer, Sand Flee
osx-addict
Gold Member

Post by osx-addict »

I've run into this sort of thing.. Watching someone else use their driver/drill drive screws with ease.. In the last case the contractor had a ryobi driver he used which seemed to have way more torque than my Makita did.. Go figure..
Rick
S/W of Los Angeles, CA
1983 Mark V model 510 (SN#140061)
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

I'm quite happy with my B&D 18v set. What's more is that there are more power tools (leaf blowers, spin trimmers, and hedge clippers) in that line which use the same battery. For me, they've worked out great.

BPR
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

I like my Ryobi drill. Never had a feeling I needed something better.

I read an article some time ago that the price of a drill does not have much to do with the drill itself, but the quality of the batteries and charger.
foxtrapper
Gold Member

Post by foxtrapper »

It may also be in the bits. Good ones hold the screw and drive it right in. Bad ones cam out with enthusiasm.
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

foxtrapper wrote:It may also be in the bits. Good ones hold the screw and drive it right in. Bad ones cam out with enthusiasm.
I bought a box of 20 Bosch bits and they cammed out readily unscrewing 3" dry wall screws in pressure treated 2 X material. Replaced them with a 20 ct. box of Irwins. They seem to be a lot harder.
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
farley
Platinum Member

Post by farley »

my dewalt 18v is at least 7 years old.

has been a great tool--used it to drive into live trees when I use to install high rope courses. It was a lot easier than hauling a generator into the woods.

about a couple years ago brought new battery and a new charger.

I have a small circular saw and reciprocating that uses the same battery. would buy again without thinking.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Cordless Drills are a mystery to me.
I had a 9 volt Dewalt that I bought with two batteries and charger for $32. One battery went bad and I wanted to replace it. Cost $39
Go figure.

My son in law had a 18 volt Dewalt and we were always claiming our Dewalt was better than the other. One day we chucked them together and pulled the trigger. My little 9 volt could over power his. However his would drive a screw faster and last longer than my 9 volt. Go figure

I eventually got a Makita set 14.4 NI-MH (drill, saw, vac, recip saw, light, three batteries, and charger) for $200. Batteries went dead cost $86 a piece. Go figure.
Found a sale on Amazon batteries $36 bought two. Go figure.
They are now getting old replacement cost $86 Go figure.

Biggest problem I found with cordless drills is a tend to drop them. If there is a something chucked in them when I do it tends to bent the output shaft and the drill is useless.

When my Makita batteries die and if I can't replace them for less than $86 I intend to buy either Ridgid (lifetime replacement of batteries) or Ryobi (cheap batteries). I would probably go to 12 volt Litium since I have used them and they offer all the power I need with none of the weight.

I want cheap since I know how easy it is to mess up a drill by dropping it.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!