Cleaning The Quill

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

davepotts
Bronze Member

Cleaning The Quill

Post by davepotts »

I need to remove the quill on my Mark v to clean and lube it and am not sure how it is done. The manual says to remove it but doesn't say how. Do you remove the allen screw on the top of the head stock and then simply slide the whole quill out? If so, then I assume you just slide it back in and replace the allen screw.

If this is not the correct procedure then how do you do it?

Thanks
Dave
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

Extend the quill all the way and lock it. Then turn the set screw on top of the headstock a couple of turns to the left to loosen it. While holding the handle tightly, unlock the quill and remove it. If it catches on the set screw, loosen it a bit more. Whatever you do, don't let go of the quill handle. After the quill is out, let the quill handle slowly unwind. Do your cleaning and waxing, then reverse the procedure. I think Shopsmith recommends loading the spring by turning it 3 turns before inserting the quill, but mine won't turn quite that far. After the quill is installed, tighten the set screw just until it contacts the quill, then back it off 1/4 turn or so. You don't want it rubbing on the quill, but it must be in far enough to keep the quill from extending too far.
billmayo
Platinum Member

Cleaning the Quill

Post by billmayo »

A word of caution after unwinding the quill. If you turn the quill feed in a counter-clockwise (CCW) rotation, the quill spring can come unhooked. It can be a bear to rehook the spring but not impossible. I always just tighten the quill lock handle and place the quill feed stop handle down so I don't accidental hit it and turn it CCW. I remember the saying: lefty-loosey righty-tighty. You always want to be righty-tighty once the quill is unwinded.

Bill Mayo billstoolz.com
ricknwood
Gold Member

Post by ricknwood »

Dave, If you take your quill out, don't let it unwind unessarily, set your depth gauge on the opposite side to 4 1/4" depth and lock. Do not tighten your quill lock without the quill being inside the headstock. It can do damage. If you are just waxing the quill, you don't actually have to remove it all the way. Just extend fully to 4 1/4" and lock the depth gauge. Take toothbrushes and clean the gear drive on the bottom side of the quill, then apply Johnsons Original Fomula Paste Wax, wait about 10 min and wipe off. Apply several coats until the desired quill movement. Hope this helps.
Rick Davis--Traveling Academy Instructor
davepotts
Bronze Member

Cleaning the quill

Post by davepotts »

Thanks for all the replys. As to the last reply, is it all that important to take the quill completely out to service it? Also, my manual says to extend the quill and clean it and then grease the gears (ratchets) on the bottom and then apply a few drops of oil to the top. I've done this. So where does the waxing come in?

I might add that the quill moves in and out fine and rotates fine-so should I even remove the quill at all?

As far as I know, the quill has never been removed and cleaned and I have had it for 15 years. My concern is am I running a risk by not cleaning it.

Thanks
Dave
dusty
Platinum Member

Cleaning the Quill

Post by dusty »

I'm not exactly a newbie but I certainly feel like one from time to time. This time we are discussing cleaning and lubricating (the quill). I've gone to the book (something I've often been accused of NOT doing) and I do not find anything about lubrication of the quill. All I ever do to the quill is clean it good (remove any compacted saw dust), wax it good and call it quits. I think I am paraphrasing the manual.

In what reference source do we find instructions to lub the bottom and oil the top of the quill?

If I am reading something into what is written in this thread or if I am just missing the points all together, please tell me.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The information I have says to clean and wax and that is what I do, nothing more nothing less. No idea where the oil and other information is from... not in anything I have with my mkv anyway.

Ed
ksdaddio
Gold Member

Cleaning Quill

Post by ksdaddio »

The "Maintenance and Troubleshooting" section of my manual gives very explicit instructions on what one should do to either clean the quill or remove it for some extra maintenance.

Every 5 hours of running time, one should extend the quill, lock it in place, wax the surface and when finished use a stiff brush to remove the residue from the rack.

The complete removal of the quill is more detailed and would take a long email to give it all to you. It is spring loaded, and needs to be removed carefully, or you could get some bruised knuckles. The quill bearings are sealed, so other than removing stray sawdust, there is nothing that you can do for them. You do need to loosen the set screw to remove the quill, and the manual goes into some good detail on resetting the spring tension etc.

Hope this helps.
davepotts
Bronze Member

Cleaning The Quill

Post by davepotts »

Well, here is what my manual says-keep in mind mine is an old Mark V made in 1954:

QUILL SPINES: Every 100 hours remove the quill assembly from the headstock and clean off the old grease on the splines and replace with clean grease.

QUILL: Lock quill in maximum extended position. Apply grease to to rack teeth and place a few drops of oil to the top surface of the quill and run the quill in and out several times to spread the oil.

This is all that it says. Note no mention is made about waxing and no mention is said about what precautions to take in removing the quill.

Dave
dusty
Platinum Member

Cleaning the Quill

Post by dusty »

I believe that I would do what is recommended in my manual.....after I made absolutely certain that I had the correct manual.

Obviously, there are some changes that have occurred that most of us know nothing about.

It is now that we need an authoritative input.

Nick...what say you???