Shopsmith as a dual arm saw

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

truxton
Gold Member

Shopsmith as a dual arm saw

Post by truxton »

Just a thought, has anyone ever used a shopsmith as a dual arm saw. I was thinking a set up like a panel saw, useing the frame tubes to guide a power tool like a skil saw or router? Seems like it would be helpfull when struggling with large or over sized panels. [ATTACH]10733[/ATTACH]
Attachments
dual arm saw.jpg
dual arm saw.jpg (25.93 KiB) Viewed 6306 times
Truxton
Michigan
Shopsmith MKVII, Power station, bandsaw, beltsander, Jointer, scroll saw, DC3300, Delta Unisaw, Mini-Max FS31 12" jointer/planer, Ridgid 12" miter saw, Porter Cable random orbit sander and bisquit jointer, Rockwell and Ryobi routers, Leigh dove tail jig, Husqvarna 257 chain saw, Paslode finish nailer
keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

DANG! what a nifty idea!
But phooey-- I ran down to the shop and measured, and son of a gun the space between ends isn't big enough for a full panel.
But still, after the first rip...
Mark V 520, Power-Pro!; Speed Reducer; B/S; Jointer; ShopMate DCS; SS Tenon Master; Rip-Strate; Incra; BCTW; DW734; var. SS sanding systems; Wood River;
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I guess I have no imagination. How could the Shopsmith be used in this fashion. The saw blade and the tunes are in perpendicular planes to one another.

If the idea is to use the tubes and remount something on those tubes I see that. A good example would be the saw table at Home Depot.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
riot_nrrd
Gold Member

Post by riot_nrrd »

Hmmm... I think if you were going to do that, youd need to remove the headstock and carraige... and I'm also not sure if you would have enough room for the sheet plus the sawblade plus the saw... but a interesting idea. Let everyone know if you come up with anything.
RiotNrrd

Shopsmith 510 with PowerPro upgrade, Bandsaw, Jointer, Planer, Belt Sander
Incra 1000 HD, Miter Express, TS-III, Wonderfence Other miscellaneous Dewalt, Ryobi, and Craftsman
Ron309753
Gold Member

Post by Ron309753 »

I was intrigued by this. I had never heard of a dual arm saw, so I checked into it. That saw is made by SawTrax and features the Makita 5402N circular saw with a 16 5/16” blade. That’s why it can crosscut 6” thick stock, and costs around 3 grand.

I think if you were going to make this with an ordinary 7¼” saw, or even a 10” saw, I think you would save time and money, and have more functionality with a good radial arm saw, or even a sliding miter saw. Or get the Milwaukee Panel saw: http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... DAQ8wIwAA#

Sincerely,

Ron309753
jtime101
Silver Member

Post by jtime101 »

I think this would be a great setup if you were doing dados in the sides of book shelves for the shelves to sit in. You could easily mount the router on the top way tubes and have it travel from side to side with a straight cut bit set at the right depth across anywhere from 12" to 24" panels with out removing anything from the unit. You could use your bench tubes as the support table with rollers on the front and back for support. It would take a little time to make a mount but after that you would have a nice setup.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Its called a high quality radial arm saw.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
truxton
Gold Member

Shopsmith dual arm jig

Post by truxton »

Thanks for the positive responses on the Jig idea of a Shopsmith dual arm saw. I have a friend who is a hydraulic engineer, he works for a compnay here who builds and designs hydraulic systems. I ran it past him and he liked the idea and agreed to design and build a bearing slideing table to fit the Shopsmith way tubes. He indicated to me the cost to build this including the 4 way tubes would be minimal. I recently bought from E-Bay the two end casting of a MKVII for $35.00. Not alot different for this purpose than the MKV. What I plan on doing is setting this up as a seperate jig from my shopsmith. What I see as the funtion of this jig is to be able to mount several of my hand power tools to the slideing table. To cross cut larger panels with a skil saw, a guide for my router and with a chainsaw firmly mounted to the slideing table, a horizontal mill to cut short logs. We have a bunch of spalted maple rounds for boxes and the only way I have been able to cut these from logs with the chainsaw is free hand. With this set up and with the firewood round firmly attached to a pair of sturdy saw horses I should be able to cut 6" parallel cants for resawing on the bandsaw. I would love to hear any of your feedback on this. Thanks
Truxton
Michigan
Shopsmith MKVII, Power station, bandsaw, beltsander, Jointer, scroll saw, DC3300, Delta Unisaw, Mini-Max FS31 12" jointer/planer, Ridgid 12" miter saw, Porter Cable random orbit sander and bisquit jointer, Rockwell and Ryobi routers, Leigh dove tail jig, Husqvarna 257 chain saw, Paslode finish nailer
truxton
Gold Member

Parallel Tube Router Jig

Post by truxton »

I spotted this on another woodworking site. Looks like the concept would work with the shopsmith way tubes. This jig is being used to plane a long wood slab.[ATTACH]10743[/ATTACH]
Attachments
bearing router jig.jpg
bearing router jig.jpg (31.8 KiB) Viewed 6170 times
Truxton
Michigan
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

truxton wrote:I spotted this on another woodworking site. Looks like the concept would work with the shopsmith way tubes. This jig is being used to plane a long wood slab.[ATTACH]10743[/ATTACH]
If you decide to try this, use Model 10 tubes(twice as thick!)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange