Am I Buying A Problem

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

Am I Buying A Problem

Post by algale »

Hello,

Been lurking for a while as I am thinking about buying a used Shopsmith 510. The current owner set me a series of photos. Overall, it looks clean and to be in good working condition; however, in one photo (attached) there is a short, black tube on one of the way tubes near the headstock. I suspect this part belongs inside the head stock casting and has come loose. Any idea whether this piece is out of place, what its function is, whether it can be repaired and whether I should stay away from this one.

Thanks,

Alan
Attachments
new camera 092.jpg
new camera 092.jpg (35.44 KiB) Viewed 10020 times
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

Alan:

The short black "tube" is most likely the hard rubber "spacer" that controls the distance between the headstock and the carriage, at the same time positioning the saw blade in the middle of the table's saw insert. The spacer does not belong inside the headstock.

What you want to do is run the Shopsmith thru it's speed range to make sure that someone has not broken the speed changer by trying to dial a speed when the machine was not running.

Good luck. I hope that you will be joining us soon.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Thanks for the information; I had read about the speed dial issue and intend to check that out for sure.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Even if the speed dial is broken, the cost of repairing it is not all that great and the mechanical skills required to do the work is minimal.

Tearing into it would be a good way to begin learning the inner workings of the Mark V.

However, if it is not broken, don't fix it.

I don't disagree with 8iowa's recommendation to run the machine through a series of speed changes. I would do that with any machine that I bought.

I wish you the best on your decision to buy.

Here is some information you might want to browse through to make your self a bit more knowledgeable of the Mark V.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

Yes, that black tube is just the spacer. It is exactly where it should be. That MarkV looks to be in good condition.
All depends on what price you get it for but it's hard to mess up buying a used unit if the motor is good. Everything is repairable 100% by the owner. And unlike a lot of things you buy today the repair will hold up a long, long time if not lifetime. My MarkV is over 20 years old and I have only replaced the on/off switch for $30.

Here is a list of the most often ordered parts from Shopsmith. As you can see if you have to replace the whole speed control assembly you are only out $54.80.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/part ... dparts.htm
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Thanks, every one, for all the input. I guess my question reveals my ignorance about these machines.

FYI, the fellow is asking $1000 (obo) for a 1997 Mark V 510 with all the standard parts. The only extras I see are (1) bandsaw, (2) router shafts/shield, (3) basic set of chisels and (4) the biscuit joiner. Doubt I'd use the biscuit joiner because I've got a stand alone I'm pretty happy with.
ddvann79
Gold Member

Bargain or Basketcase

Post by ddvann79 »

Nick Engler's Sawdust Session on problems to look for in used Shopsmiths is pretty educational. It's #21. Also, the PDF list.

Happy hunting!
Dalton
Fort Worth, Texas
1962 MK 5 #373733 Goldie