1962 Goldie Disassembly

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dasgud
Gold Member

Post by dasgud »

I liked your video too :). What are you using for the editing? I have some videos I would like to edit for posting but struggled so much with the application that came bundled with W7 that I gave up.
:) thank you
Stay safe everyone
ddvann79
Gold Member

Video Editor

Post by ddvann79 »

dasgud wrote: I liked your video too :). What are you using for the editing? I have some videos I would like to edit for posting but struggled so much with the application that came bundled with W7 that I gave...
Dasgud, for some reason I can't see your post on the thread but it shows up on the forum main page. When I click on a list of your posts, this is all I can read so let me know if I don't answer your question fully.

I have been using Windows Live Movie Maker to edit my videos. In my opinion, it's a step down from the utility of the movie maker that came with XP but it handles a lot more file formats now. It can be a headache but it just takes some experimenting to figure out what stuff does. If you get down captions, titles and trimming lengths of video, that's all you really need. The rest comes later. Just remember that if you want to edit the video, you have to click the video in the screen for it to bring up the video tools. Same with the captions, audio, etc.

It's a bit of a paradigm shift. Just like other Office products, the ribbon setup is used instead of a menu bar. Once you start thinking the way ribbon is set up (i.e. by grouping tasks around objects) instead of thinking the way the old menu bars taught us to think (i.e. by grouping task around lists), it starts making sense. I still don't know if I like it but who likes change? A few things I REALLY like about it is that it handles a lot more file formats than the old Movie Maker, it still lets you drag and drop a bunch of photos, video and music in the editing screen all at once, and it lets you upload directly to Youtube without having to "publish" the video first. Here's a tutorial for WLMM. Oh, and it's a free download from Microsoft. I'll deal with it if I don't have to pay for it!

Incidentally, I shot the videos with a standard digital camera that has a video option. I think I paid $150 for it.
Dalton
Fort Worth, Texas
1962 MK 5 #373733 Goldie
dasgud
Gold Member

Post by dasgud »

Thank you ddvan79, you did answer my question a lot. I have some vids that I started working on a few months ago but just dropped working on them because of frustration. I'll start working on them again because now I have a site that I want to post them to.
Plus, I think I need to take my headstock apart starting tonight because I don't like some sounds that is making so I will probably record that process to see if there is something worthwhile to keep.
I don't know why you can't see my post though. I've never seen or heard of that issue before. Has anyone else?

Stay safe everyone
ddvann79
Gold Member

Post by ddvann79 »

dasgud wrote:Thank you ddvan79, you did answer my question a lot. I have some vids that I started working on a few months ago but just dropped working on them because of frustration. I'll start working on them again because now I have a site that I want to post them to.
Plus, I think I need to take my headstock apart starting tonight because I don't like some sounds that is making so I will probably record that process to see if there is something worthwhile to keep.
I don't know why you can't see my post though. I've never seen or heard of that issue before. Has anyone else?

Stay safe everyone
Not sure what's going on. Maybe a lag in the server - but I can see your post now!

PLEASE record and post your tear-down and service of your headstock. That's the kind of thing I'm looking for. The Sawdust Sessions are a great start but I want more. Just keep in mind you need a lot of light for video!

I wish you good luck and patience!
Dalton
Fort Worth, Texas
1962 MK 5 #373733 Goldie
JPG
Platinum Member

Open electrical device box

Post by JPG »

I do not have a concern re the closeness of your hands to the rotating flesh ripper as long as yer aware and being cautious.

I am concerned re the open duplex receptacle(Outlet Mike) and the holes in the box. I am quite sure you will have an accumulation of dust if the box is not closed. Spelled fire waiting to happen.:)

I do not recall seeing a box enclosing the power switch. It does need to be enclosed(fire again).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ddvann79
Gold Member

Post by ddvann79 »

Thanks for pointing that out, JPG. I'll put electrical enclosure is the next item on the to-do list, along with a miter gauge.
Dalton
Fort Worth, Texas
1962 MK 5 #373733 Goldie
ddvann79
Gold Member

Opened the Headstock

Post by ddvann79 »

First, let me say, "THANKS" to all you military vets. We just wouldn't be us without you.

Secondly, this is probably going to be old hat for a lot of you SS veterans but I have to share it with somebody.

I finally decided to crack open the headstock last night just to see what I'm dealing with. To my surprise, this thing is really a lot simpler in person than in the manuals and videos.

First I built a headstock cradle out of an old cabinet door, some scrap 2x4s and 3" deck screws. I found the 2x4s need to be no longer than about 8 inches and spaced about 7" apart, with a high taper cut in the top 1 1/2".

I have not powered up the unit so I slowly rotated the speedial to fast while rotating the drive shaft by hand. The drive belt was fairly loose on the sheaves anyway and the pork chop didn't seem to have too much friction between it and the idler shaft. I didn't get much resistance from the speed changer.

So far I have found:
- The quill spring is either shot or REALLY grimy because it won't automatically retract the quill.
- The feed depth is slipping and the knob has to be made way too tight for it to work - but it works.
- The pork chop and clip spring are in good shape but like everything else, covered in dust and grime.
- The drive shaft and idler shaft were unrecognizable as separate parts from the housing with all the layers of filth.
- The wiring and switch is in surprisingly good shape. Given the condition of the exterior of this thing, I thought it would be cracked and the switch would be corroded at the contacts.
- The belts also look great for not having run in 30 years but they will be replaced anyway.
- The idler sheave slides on the shaft pretty well.
- While the putty over the setscrew above the quill has been removed, it's still in the screw well over the feed stop. I don't think this machine has been serviced much.

Here are some exterior shots:

[ATTACH]10849[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10850[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10851[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10852[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10853[/ATTACH]
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (129.83 KiB) Viewed 5000 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (144.03 KiB) Viewed 4980 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (155.12 KiB) Viewed 4969 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (180.7 KiB) Viewed 4961 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (140.94 KiB) Viewed 4964 times
Dalton
Fort Worth, Texas
1962 MK 5 #373733 Goldie
ddvann79
Gold Member

Opened the Headstock Part 2

Post by ddvann79 »

Here are some more shots, idler shaft and interior:

Before oil and brass brush
[ATTACH]10854[/ATTACH]

After - wow that's a lot of grime
[ATTACH]10855[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10856[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10857[/ATTACH]

Wires look to be in good shape. Just a lot of sawdust. This shot was taken before I ran the speedchanger up to 'fast.'
[ATTACH]10858[/ATTACH]
Attachments
6.jpg
6.jpg (119.37 KiB) Viewed 4945 times
7.jpg
7.jpg (179.64 KiB) Viewed 4936 times
8b.jpg
8b.jpg (118.54 KiB) Viewed 4927 times
9.jpg
9.jpg (99.46 KiB) Viewed 4934 times
10.jpg
10.jpg (123.21 KiB) Viewed 4930 times
Dalton
Fort Worth, Texas
1962 MK 5 #373733 Goldie
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Don't make any decisions now until after you have cleaned her up to the point of spotless. Then lubricate everything according to the manual. Wax the outside of the quill housing. Then and not before then is it time to power her up for a maiden run through the speed range (up and then down several times).

When in the process of cleaning, I would drop the motor pan, pull out the motor and clean it. While running the motor on the bench, blow the dust out of the inside of the motor. If you do this, cradle the motor when you turn it on so that it does not jump off the bench. Ground it too.

You'll be amazed at what she is going to look like. These machines are just shy of being a miracle.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
ddvann79
Gold Member

Post by ddvann79 »

dusty wrote:
When in the process of cleaning, I would drop the motor pan, pull out the motor and clean it. While running the motor on the bench, blow the dust out of the inside of the motor. If you do this, cradle the motor when you turn it on so that it does not jump off the bench. Ground it too.
Thanks, Dusty. That's the kind of advice I was hoping for.

I guess I'm going to have to break down and ground my shop circuits. :D We moved in about a year a go and the main panel is not grounded. I wonder if I can drive a length of rebar... just kidding.
Dalton
Fort Worth, Texas
1962 MK 5 #373733 Goldie