1962 Goldie Disassembly

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

oldc6
Gold Member

Post by oldc6 »

I have heard these guys rave over this zoom spout turbine oil a lot...... last week was on a road trip. found an ace hardware store. we dont have any in our area...... VIOLA, they had a dozen bottles of the stuff $1.84 a bottle and it is full of oil for that price.............. picked up two bottles for my two machines...... did one today, oiled and waxed..........if you dont have this stuff get it as soon as you can....... it is slick as can be.......thanks
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ddvann79 wrote:17 millimeter = 0.66929133858 inch
5/8 inch = 0.625 inch

So is that why there is a sleeve between the bearing and shaft on one end of the shaft? I suppose the standard 6203 would have an ID that's too big. I ordered them last night! The 17mm ID bearings were $2.00 while the 5/8 ID bearings were $6!

FWIW this pix of 'obscure' origin:D clearly shows the increased shaft od(17mm) under the bearing, and the reduced shaft od(5/8") from there to the end of the shaft.

[ATTACH]10980[/ATTACH]
Attachments
motor shaft.jpg
motor shaft.jpg (81 KiB) Viewed 5018 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

oldc6 wrote:I have heard these guys rave over this zoom spout turbine oil a lot...... last week was on a road trip. found an ace hardware store. we dont have any in our area...... VIOLA, they had a dozen bottles of the stuff $1.84 a bottle and it is full of oil for that price.............. picked up two bottles for my two machines...... did one today, oiled and waxed..........if you dont have this stuff get it as soon as you can....... it is slick as can be.......thanks
Ace doesn't indicate Zoom spout on their website. :confused: Called 2 here in San Diego and they no gots!!
Mike
Sunny San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote:Ace doesn't indicate Zoom spout on their website. :confused: Called 2 here in San Diego and they no gots!!
Gots a 'Do It Best'?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

JPG40504 wrote:Gots a 'Do It Best'?
Never heard of them before. Googled it and found out that other hardware store are under the DoitBest umbrella. Several within 20 miles. I'll try them out. So how'd you hear about them?
Mike
Sunny San Diego
ddvann79
Gold Member

Post by ddvann79 »

JPG40504 wrote:Gots a 'Do It Best'?
In my neck of the woods that's known as "Higginbotham's Do It Best" similar to Ace True Value.

So, what about using a spray lubricant on the sheaves like T-9 or bearing lube?

On a side note, Dad is cutting blanks from a 100-year-old oak for me to turn some bowls. They should be seasoned by the time I'm ready for them!

Oh, and I finally got around to breaking down the quill and found it had Fafnir 202KDD5 bearing in GREAT shape. Was that factory equipment for SS single-bearing quills? To my knowledge, this headstock has never been rebuilt. Discussion I've read on this forum talks about replacing the quill bearing with this Fafnir to reduce runnout, but if it's already in there I guess it's hard to improve upon.
Dalton
Fort Worth, Texas
1962 MK 5 #373733 Goldie
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

ddvann79 wrote:In my neck of the woods that's known as "Higginbotham's Do It Best" similar to Ace True Value.

So, what about using a spray lubricant on the sheaves like T-9 or bearing lube?

On a side note, Dad is cutting blanks from a 100-year-old oak for me to turn some bowls. They should be seasoned by the time I'm ready for them!

Oh, and I finally got around to breaking down the quill and found it had Fafnir 202KDD5 bearing in GREAT shape. Was that factory equipment for SS single-bearing quills? To my knowledge, this headstock has never been rebuilt. Discussion I've read on this forum talks about replacing the quill bearing with this Fafnir to reduce runnout, but if it's already in there I guess it's hard to improve upon.
Since you already have it broken down AND you don't know how old the bearing is AND a bearing is not all that expensive - I would recommend that you replace the bearing at this time. In so doing, it might be another 30 years before it need to be considered again.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

ddvann79 wrote: Oh, and I finally got around to breaking down the quill and found it had Fafnir 202KDD5 bearing in GREAT shape. Was that factory equipment for SS single-bearing quills? To my knowledge, this headstock has never been rebuilt. Discussion I've read on this forum talks about replacing the quill bearing with this Fafnir to reduce runnout, but if it's already in there I guess it's hard to improve upon.
That is the correct size bearing. I have worked on a couple headstocks in which the Quill bearing had held up a lot better than the other bearings. And the Fafnir 202KDD5 is fairly expensive, so you're probably OK to keep your old one for now.
Chris
ddvann79
Gold Member

Post by ddvann79 »

nuhobby wrote:That is the correct size bearing. I have worked on a couple headstocks in which the Quill bearing had held up a lot better than the other bearings. And the Fafnir 202KDD5 is fairly expensive, so you're probably OK to keep your old one for now.
I concur. At $30 a pop that's more than all the other bearings combined. Besides, I haven't purchased the bearing puller yet AND now I know it's not difficult to get to the quill bearing if it does need to be replaced.
Dalton
Fort Worth, Texas
1962 MK 5 #373733 Goldie
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote:Never heard of them before. Googled it and found out that other hardware store are under the DoitBest umbrella. Several within 20 miles. I'll try them out. So how'd you hear about them?
My nearest Ace Owners are now Do it Best owners. Something to do with advertising budget;).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝