Threaded insert warning

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Threaded insert warning

Post by reible »

Hi,

Sometimes it doesn't pay to try and get ahead of the game. Case in point, I am working on a project and needed some 10-24 threaded inserts. Since I had a few other pieces of hardware I wanted from hartvilletool.com I placed an order. I have always had good luck with ordering from them and very fast shipping as they stock almost everything. And again the order shipped very fast and the box arrived yesterday. Since I placed the order I continured on with the project and even drilled the holes for the inserts per the table provided in the catalog.

Today when I went out to continue on I couldn't. The holes I drilled and the inserts are not a match, in that the hole is WAY OVER-SIZED. I just finished emailing them and now I have to figure out how I'm going to fix this.

I normally like to have the parts in hand when I start on a project for just this sort of issue... in a bit of a rush got me no where fast.

So the warning is that if you order these inserts it might be best to have them in hand before you drill the holes!!!!!!! And, don't do as I have done.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Ed:

Can you just plug the holes with dowel and redrill them, or will they show when the inerts are in?

Good luck.

John
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

john wrote:Ed:

Can you just plug the holes with dowel and redrill them, or will they show when the inerts are in?

Good luck.

John
Hi John,

Just got back in from doing just that..... now all I have to do is wait for the glue to dry and see how the two samples turn out. Not that worried about how it looks but more how well they will hold... for now it is wait and see.

This put me a bit behind but I've got days to catch up so if this works I'm not so bad off... if not I'll have to make a new piece. And of course I have no more wood of the size needed so I'd have to add shopping time to my efforts.

Ed
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Have you heard anything from Hartville yet?
They have a fantastic reputation and I would be surprized if the didn't respond. Let us know what they say.
Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Ed in Tampa wrote:Have you heard anything from Hartville yet?
They have a fantastic reputation and I would be surprized if the didn't respond. Let us know what they say.
Ed
Hi Ed,

I think the reply maybe tomorrow, a little to late in the day now for one I think.

They are one of my favorite suppliers so I was a little supprised at this situation.... and a bit more upset with myself for not just waiting.

It is also interesting that I ordered from the 2006/2007 catalog and got the new catalog (2007/2008) with my order and the same information is in both of them. I would have thought someone else would have noticed and let them know already???.

Anyway I will post again if they reply with anything interesting.

Ed
rdubbs
Gold Member

Post by rdubbs »

I know that this reply is old, and you have probable finished the project by now, but another fix might have been to install a threaded insert that did fit the holes you drilled and use Helicoils to reduce to 10-24.

Just a thought.
Rick Dubbs
2004 520 w/bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC 3300, Universal Lathe Tool Rest, Talon chuck, & Lathe Duplicator
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

rdubbs wrote:I know that this reply is old, and you have probable finished the project by now, but another fix might have been to install a threaded insert that did fit the holes you drilled and use Helicoils to reduce to 10-24.

Just a thought.
Hi,

Yea the repair is finished. Used hardwood dowels glued in place, one side just left as it was because it got covered over and the other side I did a insert with the OPR that hid things... well unless you really really look for it.

The helicoil might work but you would have to put them in first as the threaded inserts going into the wood doesn't take much effort... Or I could have change some other parts to use a larger fastener I guess...

BTW the Hartville people got back to me and said the manufacture had supplied the table for them and they had not had anyone mention the error until I did. They said the web page would be updated soon and the catalog would have to wait until the next issure. And of course they were sorry for the problem.

So that's the story.

Ed