terms to use when searching

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tsaguy
Gold Member

terms to use when searching

Post by tsaguy »

Im a newbie, and I know.

but here's the problem:

I dont know the terms of the parts of my headstock, so I cannot do a search and find my problems.

Here's my problem:

I have a headstock, grampa bought in the 1980's new from Shop Smith.

The dial you turn to increase the speed works fine.

The dial's speed indicator, which turns opposite of the dial itself, seems to skip. So if I turn counter-clockwise too fast, the speed indicator plate does skips, and when I slow the speed down, rather than the 'A' stopping on the mark on the headstock, to where the RPMs decrease to the lowest RPM, it instead will land on 'C'.

My shop is cold. I am sure this has bearing on my issues. I try not to use my equipment until I get inside temp to at least 50 degrees. I am in central michigan.

Any ideas?
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

First off, make sure when ya turn the dial to a lower speed. To turn it down slowly. ONLY turn the speed dial with the SS running.

Here's a PDF about doing a speed adjustment. [ATTACH]11145[/ATTACH]

Here's the sawdust sessions, that may interest ya. http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/Sawdust_Sessions.htm
Attachments
how to do a high speed adjustment.PDF
(382.25 KiB) Downloaded 478 times
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

tsaguy wrote:Im a newbie, and I know.

but here's the problem:

I dont know the terms of the parts of my headstock, so I cannot do a search and find my problems.

Here's my problem:

I have a headstock, grampa bought in the 1980's new from Shop Smith.

The dial you turn to increase the speed works fine.

The dial's speed indicator, which turns opposite of the dial itself, seems to skip. So if I turn counter-clockwise too fast, the speed indicator plate does skips, and when I slow the speed down, rather than the 'A' stopping on the mark on the headstock, to where the RPMs decrease to the lowest RPM, it instead will land on 'C'.

My shop is cold. I am sure this has bearing on my issues. I try not to use my equipment until I get inside temp to at least 50 degrees. I am in central michigan.

Any ideas?
Being a newbie and not knowing the terminilogy of your machine are NOT problems. They are simply tasks that you probably want to take-on so that you do know.

I recommend that you download the free PDF catalog and using it as your point of reference - that short coming will soon disappear.

The catalog is offered in the top right hand corner of the page displayed when you go to the shopsmith site.

This might also help.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
ddvann79
Gold Member

Headstock Parts

Post by ddvann79 »

This aught to help identify your parts. Headstock Assembly. See the exploded view.

I'm a newbie too but I'd say first, oil your internal components with some 3-in-1 or turbine oil. Secondly, pop the speed dial off and see if any teeth are missing on the small gear underneath (picture below). There's a set screw behind the dial you'll have to loosen to remove it (picture below). This doc from the cleaning and inspection sawdust session will help you get it apart. I could be way off base but it can't hurt to check and should be done anyway for lubrication with graphite.

There are much more knowledgeable people here that can help.

[ATTACH]11148[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11149[/ATTACH]
Attachments
IMG01156-20101111-2122.jpg
IMG01156-20101111-2122.jpg (88.75 KiB) Viewed 2794 times
IMG01157-20101111-2129.jpg
IMG01157-20101111-2129.jpg (128.37 KiB) Viewed 2793 times
Dalton
Fort Worth, Texas
1962 MK 5 #373733 Goldie
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

I would wager he is missing some teeth on the gear on the back of the speed control knob. It is not as hard as the idler gear in the picture. As noted on another thread, there is a fellow in Whittier that repairs the speed control know with a steel gear.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

SDSSmith wrote:I would wager he is missing some teeth on the gear on the back of the speed control knob. It is not as hard as the idler gear in the picture. As noted on another thread, there is a fellow in Whittier that repairs the speed control know with a steel gear.
More than likely, but also is the possibility the dial is not fully seated on to the shaft and thus not fully engaging the outer ring gear.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange